V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me exactly what the " by pass valve " does in an oil filter, what the purpose is, and why different psi. i've got an 07 ultra, and the oil seems to get dirty very quickly, almost like it's not even being filtered. never an issue with my old evo. any info would be appreciated. am i missing something ??

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
When the filter gets used up(clogged) the flow will be restricted. To avoid reduction of flow and pressure the bypass valve saves the day. Change oil and filter as recommended and the bypass valve will be on vacation the whole time.

That's what I think.

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks jerry. there must be something very different with the TC oil and filtering system from what i'm use to,for it to get that dirty that quick. i am not going 5k miles on oil, something just doesn't seem right to me. i'm sure i'll figure it out. maybe the HD oil filters are junk. ya never know. thanks

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i ran my 91 Ultra 5K -6k miles between service with Red Line in 3 holes. never had a problem, & none of wich ever came out nearly as dirty as 2K on my 07 Ultra. BTW, i've not run 5K on oil in 07, or said it came out black. only stated what was recommended. constructive info would be more help. i've asked a simple question, maybe some one else had same situation.or maybe i've missed something. If not i'll keep lookin. Thanks

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Oil gets dirty. Fact of life. Determining that the oil isn't working due to its color is silly. The only color you should worry about is if the oil gets dark brown (burnt). Black is fine. Thats just carbon. If the oil is burnt, then you either left the oil in the motor too long (over 5k miles) or your oil pump isn't pumping very well.

I change my oil every 5k miles (23k on the clock right now) and the oil always comes out looking dirty, but still an light brown color (same color as the oil went in).

Just change your oil and filter at the same time, every 5k, and your motor will be fine.

The thought that something is wrong based soley on the color of the oil is not a valid diagnostic technique. If the motor runs good, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
"Necessary" oil change intervals are not determined by the color of the oil. Detergents break down the contaminants and facilitate the transport to the oil filter. I don't trust the OEM either for change intervals. An interesting tidbit when the oil is changed the new oil out of quart containers is actually dirty to an extent due to packaging and sometimes due to our filling techniques. So clean the moths and barnacles out of the funnel LOL. Actually packagers of oil have large stocks of open containers and they can gather dust. So we fire it up and the new filter actually cleans the oil to a level beyond the initial fill.
Want to know when to change your oil????:whatever:
You may be surprised that number may exceed 5 or 6k
Have it sampled by Staveley or Blackstone Labs and pay particular attention to the "Total Asset Number" and be looking at the contaminants for signs of impending trouble.
The tune of your motor will play a large part in how long the oil "lasts"
THERE'S YOUR SIGN

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
better safe than sorry

thanks nw guy, an oil sample sounds like a smart idea, to put my mind at ease.i've been playing with big toys for a very long time, and when something seems different or possibly wrong, i start asking questions to find out why.i guess others have never had the need to do that, or just think some concerns aren't important. to me, better safe than sorry. thanks again nw guy.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
"THERE'S YOUR SIGN"
Bill Engvall?!? :whistle: :hystria:

Years ago, I was working on a qualitative oil sensor. At the time with using current SAE oil standard, i.e. non synthetic oil, through a clever method of measuring the dielectric contant of the "working" oil in a motor, it would go between 10k to 15k miles depending on the mix of city/hwy miles before the oil began to breakdown. NOW, this is in water cooled passenger car engines. Air cooled engines are WAY different animals on oil abuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts