V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change engine oil yesterday on 05 deluxe , however the drain plug was extremely tight and had to apply excessive pressure to remove. Last Oil change was done at dealership and it appears that the drain bolt was over torqued. Now I am concerned that drain hole threads might have been damaged. The drain plug seem to tighten okay, but am concerned about leakage. Has anyone run into this and should I be concerned? Thanks

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
If it tightened to the recommended torque it's fine.
The threads arent what seals it, they just keep it from falling out on the road. :D

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
If you have any doubt just use thread tape or liquid sealant next time....As Mega says should be fine

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have same problem, I am actually afraid to take it off by myself, it seems super tight. the Dealer has changed the oil twice and it is still super tight,, I think I have to persaude it off with a soft blow from a hamer on the wrench, but I hate doing that, the torque calls for only 14 - 21 ft lbs, that is not that tight.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Better than mine, my first and only oil change from the dealer, got home, notices a little oil under the bike, put my hand on the plug, almost fell out, it was hand tight, they never tightned it?><?<@#$%
I had driven 50 miles like that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts