V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, anyone out there using one of those digital oil temp. dipsticks. is there an on off switch? how long does the battery last? is it a pain to change the battery? is it worth the extra bucks. thanks fxdl

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yea I run one. Works real good, had it on there going on two years never change a battery. I like them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi kags.thanks. i was just looking in the harley book and it looks like the analog gauges wont fit my bike anyway. does that have an on off switch? thanks. fxdl

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have one but have thinking about getting one myself for awhile. The dealer had one out on display the last time I was there and I got a chance to play with it.

When you hit the button it turns on and stays on for a couple of seconds and then automatically turns itself off. The display is decently sized but not quite as big as I thought it would be. Definately not large enough for me to hit the button and see what it says while sitting on the bike, but probably couldn't lean over far enough to see it anyways so not really an issue. I did wrap my hand around the sensor to see how responsive it was and it seemed to be very responsive to changes.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bubbatex, yes that helped. i had the factory oil cooler installed when i picked up my bike. the harley book does'nt say anything about a thermostat for the dyna model but does says the touring cooler comes with a thermostat. according to the picture for the dyna model it looks like it has thermostat. so i want to keep an eye on oil temp. dont want it to cool in the colder tempertures. by the way i called jag coolers today they make the cooler for harley and he said i do have the thermostat. thats funny when i asked harley about it they said no and tried to sell me one. got to get the guage so i can be sure. thanks fxdl

·
Registered
81 Posts
dipstick temp guage

i have one too...works great, just be a little carefull when changing the battery...nice and easy

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Why cant you get one for your FXDL? They fit all Dynas. On my FXDXT I can be at a stoplight look over hit the button and see the temp just fine. The FXDXT is one of the tallest Harleys by the way and I am 5'9".

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kags, i dont know if i can get an analog guage. the harley book only list the digital guage to fit unless i'm missing something.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
I have the digital on my '96 FXDL and '02 FLHTCUI and they work perfect. The only problem I've had with either is the one I purchased for the bagger broke less than 30 days after I bought it. Guess the first models had a problem and the MotorCompany had a recall on 'em. Make sure, if you buy one, that it is the "B" version. Also, I agree with Mancini, be careful when messing with the battery. Before I found out that they had a recall on them I thought the battery was dead and changed it. There are some very small wires in there. Also, DO NOT let anybody check your oil cept you. You have to turn the unit counter-clockwise as you remove it....if you don't you'll pull the top off and you can bend over and kiss $100.00 good-BYE !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reason I can't see it a stoplight is because I am short. Only about 5'5" so pretty hard to lean out that far and see it. I am sure I could probably do it but based don't think it would be easy.

Good advice on the "oil check" forgot that it was threaded.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hope you have better luck than I did. The first one I had 32 days and it quit. The dealer gave me a new one. It lasted a few months and did the same thing (when it gets hot the digits are scrambled). I just keep it now because it tells me the outside temp in the morning and it is chrome. Other than that junk (IMHO). Cheers, Bone

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Hey, 'Bone' make sure your StealerShip is giving you the "B" (62938-00B) version. The first one I had the problems you describe. Have had no problems since they gave me the "B" version.

Safe Riding !!!

G

·
I heard the reason there is no analog guage for Dynas is because of that hinge between the cap and the dipstick. Much easier to get an electrical connection to bend back and forth than to get a column of mercury to do it... Touring bikes have a solid dipstick - no hinge.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Help me out ... I don't get the point of this accessory. You can't see it when you're riding, and if you could, once the heat's up, it's too late anyways. Isn't a pressure guage a better way to go?
Just curious.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had one of the first ones, what a POS, the top came off after checking my oil thrice, I took it back and stuck to the original till a few months ago, I seen they redesigned it, so I got one, it is cool, I can see it when riding, and know what my motor is running at different speeds and gears, if you hit it once it just stays on for a few seconds, hit it twice it stays on for longer, and hit it again to go back to normal ops. It is accurate too.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Version B must have legs !!

Well, a good friend learned this past week while in Milwaukee that the newer version of the digital dip-stick must have legs. His was missing Saturday mor'n when he went out to warm up his bike. I'd heard of a few mis-fits stealing these little units, thus I carry my original dip-stick in my saddle bags. Pure BS but you do what ya gota do !!!! :mad:

Ride 'em safe and continue to pray for our troops !!!
o~\o

1 - 20 of 20 Posts