V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research on how to get more life from my engine and am considering putting on an oil cooler. I won't be doing any parades or anthing, but it gets kinda warm in Alabama in July and August. Anyone have experience with these as a user and/or installer? Any helpful hints would be most appreciate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mtemple said:
I have been doing some research on how to get more life from my engine and am considering putting on an oil cooler. I won't be doing any parades or anthing, but it gets kinda warm in Alabama in July and August. Anyone have experience with these as a user and/or installer? Any helpful hints would be most appreciate.
Just a personal decision, I got one as a gift and installed it on my RK, It did drop the temp. by about 10 to 15 degrees. I agree that it probably is not necessary, but the price was right and a no brainer to install.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been reading about oil and what purpose it serves in air cooled Harley V-twins. My reading has lead my to believe that oil temps over 250 causes the oil to be less effective (and increasingly so as the temp increases above that level). Those with digital oil gauges installed tell me that often in the summer their oil temps get up to 280 degrees and higher. This could lead to having to rebuild your engine sooner than normal if you do a lot of high oil temp riding I would think.

I am not a mechanic, and am new to many of these principles, but several knowledgable folks have told me the same thing. Perhaps changing your oil more frequently completely offsets any of these negative things (like every 2,500 miles instead of 5,000).

Unlike many today, I plan on keeping my bike for a very long time.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to say, I looked at it for a while and decided not to run one, and I ride in Phoenix, and have no problems.
The decision may vary from bike to bike, depending what temperatures they run. If you run a big bore, or conventional oil, or maybe the tuning of the bike is not optimized, you might benefit from one.

Thing is, the only time a properly set up bike runs too hot is at exceedingly slow pace, like stop and go or idling, and in those conditions the oil cooler makes very little difference. This is why the factory offers the fan kits for police bikes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Y'all have convinced me to save $250 bucks ... O.K. not really, I'll just spend it on something else. It is a disease isn't it. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
HIPPO said:
Hard to say, I looked at it for a while and decided not to run one, and I ride in Phoenix, and have no problems.
The decision may vary from bike to bike, depending what temperatures they run. If you run a big bore, or conventional oil, or maybe the tuning of the bike is not optimized, you might benefit from one.

Thing is, the only time a properly set up bike runs too hot is at exceedingly slow pace, like stop and go or idling, and in those conditions the oil cooler makes very little difference. This is why the factory offers the fan kits for police bikes.
How about those fan kits?? Does anyone have experience with them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts