V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Mate

I do not trust those kinda coolers cuz unless they fit real tight and maintain a tight contact with the Oil filter they simply are Not an efficient Heat-sink..

Plus, look at how close it is to the motor and it's radiated heat..

Plus, the oil filter acts as a very crude oil cooler in it's own right if it's not too close to the motor and air can whisk away at least some of it's heat..

This is what I have used for several years here in the southwest..
This is my 120" motor..
Between the copper cooler I made, connected to the store bought cooler,, my sickles are able to stay about 185* in our 116* summer days.. You can also see my filter sits several inches in front of the motor..
Correct tuning goes along way to keep the motor cool also..

That store-bought cooler is about 60 bucks from JirehCycles..

Of course,, any cooler you choose will be better than No cooler..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cooler

Hey mate
Thats a cool...:) set up .Well done and it sounds like it works well
Thanks for your input
KS

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Mate

I do not trust those kinda coolers cuz unless they fit real tight and maintain a tight contact with the Oil filter they simply are Not an efficient Heat-sink..

Plus, look at how close it is to the motor and it's radiated heat..

Plus, the oil filter acts as a very crude oil cooler in it's own right if it's not too close to the motor and air can whisk away at least some of it's heat..

This is what I have used for several years here in the southwest..
This is my 120" motor..
Between the copper cooler I made, connected to the store bought cooler,, my sickles are able to stay about 185* in our 116* summer days.. You can also see my filter sits several inches in front of the motor..
Correct tuning goes along way to keep the motor cool also..

That store-bought cooler is about 60 bucks from JirehCycles..

Of course,, any cooler you choose will be better than No cooler..

Whatcha got there? An EVO RIGID, I see a mouse trap, what else. Lets see a picture!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kool Coolers

Hi Guys . Probably been disscussed BUT...,

Any experience with these . Are they any good . Any and all comments welcome

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-COOLER-...2438&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

YEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OUR TURN , ITS SUMMER DOWN UNDER

Kiwi Steve
Hi Kiwi ! Jerry from Denver here.....1st lets get something up front....:redrolf:....a chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

So getting back to the 'OIL COOLER" thing an oil cooler only works when your moving forward....theres the weak link! What if your stuck in heavy traffic and its about 95 degrees F !

The ugly thing hanging on your down tubes are....well just ugly !
I custom modified a power steering cooler from a early Cadilac back in the 1960's...but this is 2012 and we have evolved !:woohoo:

Go LQQK @ ultracool.com there in California USA and untill you check out there oil cooler set up which not only works when your standing still...it LQQKS great and you see no ugly clamps and hoses....and well NO UGLY !:redrolf::whistle::cya:

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
You do not have to be moving for an oil cooler to help. It's no different than the engine cylinders. They will dissipate heat anyway, just not as much.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ooh boy,, I've heard that ole wives tale before----- oil coolers don't work if you're rolling slow or caught in traffic..
Usually from guys that don't ride in great heat..
Try 116* here in our Valley..

And my standard reply is----- go wrap your hand around one on one a those hot situations and see how long you can hang before your skin melts..

Rob has it correct,, they dissipate heat moving or not..
Of course, if idling in great heat the oil will heat more than if moving,, so what else is new..

Doesn't matter if he get's that kind or that kind or that kind over there,, better than no cooler at all if you ride in high heat,, fancy-dancy cute or ugly as snake crap..

Hi jammerx
Yes I built this one in '01.. Thanks for asking..
120" Merch.. A crappy Atlas frame,, broke twice and was bent when delivered.. The Atlas prick wouldn't make good on it so I had it straightened..
Old-style 4-spd clutches beside an old 4-spd with mouse-trap,,, good catch,, most don't even notice..
A 1.5" 8mm belt set-up.. With the Kevlar belt I do hole-shots at the drop of a wrench.. Only broke 2 in 11 years and change em on road-side in about 15 Minutes,, always carry a spare..
I made the bags and built seat from scratch..
Old-style Flh de-raked front-end..
Three OEM HD parts.. The tanks, the Mouse-trap and the early '78 4-spd..
I'll try to find a "whole" photo,, but heck, i know what my sickles look like so I take very few photos,,, usually only to show a component in question..

Good talking to you..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts