V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the H-D family. Just bought the '06 Electra Glide Classic. Do some of you seniors have a recommendation as to whether the auxiliary oil cooler is better than the fan or should I leave well enough alone. I don't plan on parade riding or expect to get caught in traffic very often. I was just curious about the benefits.
Thanks
Rat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
460 Posts
I have an 03 FXD. I run synthetic in it and I can say that it fairly is tough to overheat this motor. Last summer, I got stuck in traffic on the eway following about two hrs at 80mph. Basically we idled for 45 minutes. The oil temp went to 260 and didnt go any higher. It was 90F and humid outside.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I bought one last year before going to Memphis in late June. Don't know if it helped the bike at all, but I figure it souldn't hurt. Probably a better investment then some of the stuff we buy. Not that I am saying it is needed. But I ride in a alot of stop and go traffic, it might buy me a few more minutes.

If you do a lot of relaxing driving, where the bike is moving, your probably ok, especially in Northern climates.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Since I installed it, I have started carry oil line and hose clamps in the my saddlebags. Actually you should have for your carb anyways.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,624 Posts
Forget the fan. They are prone to breakage. An oil cooler won't hurt, but likely isn't necessary for riding where you live. I don't use one. Your bike is hard to overheat, anyway, if it is FI. The engine management system will take over if you let it overheat. My '03 work bike will sometimes get overheated if I leave it idling too long while I'm on a traffic stop. The ECM will make the engine start missing badly till you blip the throttle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I would rather not have to have the ECM kick in.
If you got some money burning a hole in your pocket get one. Will do ya better then chrome widget. Not that I am above that either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,624 Posts
berserker said:
I would rather not have to have the ECM kick in.
I agree...However, I doubt if most riders ever will get hot enough to have the ECM take over. I'm not knocking an oil cooler. They are great, just not needed in everybody's case, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Live in the AZ desert. Put the oil cooler on my '01 Ultra a couple of summers ago. Can't really say it did any good. I have the in-dash oil temp guage. Still runs on 230 most of the time and if I push it hard across the desert in the summer, 110+ degrees, will get to 280 or 290. Did that before the cooler. I run Amsoil and don't worry about it. 71k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll have one installed just for the added protection. Sounds like advice on carrying a gun..."better to have it and not need it...etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
I agree...However, I doubt if most riders ever will get hot enough to have the ECM take over. I'm not knocking an oil cooler. They are great, just not needed in everybody's case, IMO.
I have 100K miles on a Road KIng EFI and have never had the ecm kick in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
I've got the computer fans on my oil cooler and they might help a little when you are stuck in stop and go especially if you have the Baisley oil spring installed. I tried a lot of different things to get my bike to run cooler. The one thing that really made the difference was having the heads flowed and getting a good dyno tune. As has been stated the engine management system will protect the engine but it can be damn uncomfortable sitting on especially a e-glide in 90 degree weather in stop and go traffic. While crusing my bike runs around 200 now in hot weather and rarely above 220 in stop and go. Dealers will tell you it's normal but normal to them is to hot for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
I didn't have an oil cooler on my 03 Heritage and I got stuck in traffic during Sturgis going into Huellet (sp?) Wyoming and thought it was going to overheat. It must have been 100 degrees outside. The bike was a carb. My buddies EVO started knocking it got so hot. We finally wised up, parked and walked into town. I don't know how much an oil cooler would have helped because we were not moving. I suppose it would help delay the inevitable. At the time, I was not running synth.

I would like to put an oil cooler on my new one (Deluxe) but the HD unit will not mount with an engine guard (according to the book). Anyone know why? Seems like a dumb design???

I am definately going to synth in the Deluxe. This bike is EFI.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
marvin4239 said:
I've got the computer fans on my oil cooler and they might help a little when you are stuck in stop and go especially if you have the Baisley oil spring installed..
Since the Baisley spring increase pressure, should it help?? Keep it flowing?? Curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Stratplexi said:
I would like to put an oil cooler on my new one (Deluxe) but the HD unit will not mount with an engine guard (according to the book). Anyone know why? Seems like a dumb design???
The top mount for the HD softail premium cooler interfers with the engine guard mount. Jagg makes a horizontal low mount and a verticle mount that should work with your Deluxe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
berserker said:
Since the Baisley spring increase pressure, should it help?? Keep it flowing?? Curious.
The Baisley spring increase pressure at low RPM as in stop and go traffic. If you have this combined with and oil cooler and the computer fans in theory it helps. Without airflow the cooler does very little when the bike is not moving other than give you a slightly larger volume of oil. I can't say my computer fans help as I did them at the same time I did my heads but they surely don't hurt. Whole thing cost about $25.
 

·
Incredible
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
Stratplexi said:
I didn't have an oil cooler on my 03 Heritage and I got stuck in traffic during Sturgis going into Huellet (sp?) Wyoming and thought it was going to overheat. It must have been 100 degrees outside. The bike was a carb. My buddies EVO started knocking it got so hot. We finally wised up, parked and walked into town. I don't know how much an oil cooler would have helped because we were not moving. I suppose it would help delay the inevitable. At the time, I was not running synth.

I would like to put an oil cooler on my new one (Deluxe) but the HD unit will not mount with an engine guard (according to the book). Anyone know why? Seems like a dumb design???

I am definately going to synth in the Deluxe. This bike is EFI.
Get the Jagg Low Mount Oil Cooler for Softails. That is what I run. It is down out of the way and looks nice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
201 Posts
It's a personal choice. I lean towards leave it alone, one less thing to go wrong. My opinion is the fewer lines and connections the better. But I also understand the other side of the fence and it does make sense to put a cooler on in very hot climates.

The easy way to deal with it. Break it in for a couple hundred miles, then switch to a name brand synthetic V-Twin 20w50. Synthetic can handle huge temps compared to crude based oil, I think that is a bigger safe guard than a cooler. Then just understand it is an aircooled motor that can overheat with no airflow. If you ever get stuck for a long time not moving, shut it off and take a break for a while. Even if you have a cooler, when you get stuck not moving for a long time your still better off taking a break and letting it cool down.

So I think if your expecting to ride in that type of stop and go parade type traffic regularly in southern heat, sure put on the biggest and best cooler you can find. No plans to get yourself in that situation, it'll be fine without and if you ever do get stuck just shut it down and relax.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top