V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an oil cooler with thermostat on my bike for a few months now and I recently noticed the oil cooler gets very warm before the oil temp even gets close to the opening temp of the thermostat (180 degrees). I have the oil lines to the engine and cooler connected to the correct sides but does it matter which line from the engine goes in to which fitting on the thermostat. It appears the thermostat is open all the time. It takes a while for the temp on the gage to start to register. I have the fairing mounted gage.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
No, it doesn't matter which connection, on the engine side that you use, same on cooler side. The thermostat is never completely closed so it always lets a little oil thru to the cooler. I've ridden in 32 degree temps. The cooler gets warm within 5-10 miles. Go a hundred and it's really hot, even at that temp. If outside temp is 90 degrees, cooler will be hot in 5-10 miles. If you have the temp gauge mounted in the oil pan, consider what's happening. The temp in the oil pan is considerably lower than what the thermostat sees. The oil pan itself is a cooler to some degree since it is subject to air flowing over it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Ed Y. I took a long ride this weekend with the outside air temp about 42. The oil temp stayed around 170 degrees moving. Took a while to get there too. It did get to about 200 in stop and go traffic. From the way you described the operation and the way it acted, must be working just fine. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts