V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HIPPO (and others),

I am having a H-D cooler installed on my '02 FLHTCI today. When I dropped it off, I requested to the service manager to NOT install the thermostat, that I will cover the cooler when it's cold. He said he "strongly recommends installing the thermostat, as a lot technology has been put in to this device..."

I don't want to use it because I want to be sure 100% of the oil is routed through the cooler when it's hot. I will cover the cooler when it's cold, and I have an oil temp gauge, so I am confident I will never operate the bike with the oil not up to temp (180 or higher).

I live in Nor Ca, where summers temps go over 100 degrees.

Was I wrong to not have the thermostat installed? I can install it later.

Thanks in advance...

Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would do the same thing. I also would have told the guy that everything that has a lot of technology designed into it fucks up a lot. KISS.

B

·
0 Posts
Boismier said:
Would you take the thermostat out of your car?
OK, on further review I was being too much of a smartass here ... What I meant was that I prefer a 'trust but verify' setup - if/when I bought a cooler, I'd keep the thermostat in (really helps up here in th efrozen north ...) but I'd also have a temp gauge right up front where I can see it. I like 'em in cars too...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Would you take the thermostat out of your car?

I don't own a car.

I do however own a old truck with a big engine, and it does not have a oil thermostat (it does have a engine oil and a transmission oil cooler)

It does have a coolant thermostat, and I would not remove it, but I change it to where I want to run it. Reason being not what you may think, but I have to get the thing to run in closed loop configuration.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apples And Oranges

The issue comparing the thermo in a cars cooling system, and a thermo in a bikes aux. oil cooling system is simply not the same.

For one, most cars have a cooling system that has the ability to keep the engine coolant way below the desired operating temperature. The small oil cooler I installed cannot keep the oil temp below the desired operating temp on my bike, unless it's freezing outside, and then it will be covered.

From most censuses I have heard, people say the TC88 runs a tad warm. An air cooled V-twin will heat up to the proper (min) temp, at least pretty easy. An oil cooler can only remove a small amount of that heat.

I'll monitor the temp to be sure...

Additionally, most autos coolant operating temp is dictated by emission standards, not where the engine would run best, or increase longevity...

That's my opinion -- worth what you paid for it...LOL

Mitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts