V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question about oil cooler installations, and what difference there is to where the cooler ties-in.

The H-D cooler ties-in to the oiling system near the oil tank (is that on the return?). I have seen others that tie-in at the oil filter housing (supply?), requiring a custom filter housing.

Is there any advantage to either type? I purchased the H-D cooler, in thinking they had engineered the tie-ins better.

I think Jagg makes the H-D cooler, and there branded cooler requires a custom filter housing.

Thanks in advance...
Mitch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If I were to install an oil cooler I would install it into the return side, as I don't like the idea of 30+psi running thru all this flimsy ****.

Before the TC the filter was on the return side so you could make the argument that even the filter adapters were originally designed for the return side. The older engines also did not have the crank sensor and wiring in the way.

But even the HD cooler has it's issues, like the fact that the mounting position over the regulator seems to be blocked from airflow by the fender and wheel and it sure looks like it is in the path of stuff kicked up by the front wheel, and there is not really enough room under the cover for the oil lines.

I guess on a bike all this stuff is always a compromise, due to the form over function syndrome. Nothing really wrong with either system, but if I were to use one I would make one mixing and matching pieces from different companies. There are other much more elegant ways to keep oil temp down.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In addition, if I had to run one kit I would also run the HD kit. I'm pretty sure they are made by Lockhart and they are almost as good as the Jagg coolers themselves.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hippo,
I much appreciate your sharing of info, and you taking the time for those who don't know much (referring to myself only LOL).

I had those same concerns as you, as there seemed to be a lot of crud collecting where this cooler will go. I wasn't too crazy about a downtube mount on my FLHTCI, so the choices were limited.

I mentioned that I thought Jagg made the H-D cooler, because they both look similar, and they both have the "turbolators", stirring up the flow for more efficient cooling (that is their claim).

Jagg has a new cooler (#1270) which mounts low for baggers, and is slightly angeled down. At a quick glance I thought it might get a better air flow, but that was a guess.

Again,
Thanks for your time...
Mitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts