V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add an oil cooler to my street glide but when i look it up on hd's web site under my bike it only lists the the premium cooler but when I look it up under touring bikes I see a super premium cooler. Does any one know if the super premium will fit my bike? I want to install one when I change my fluids at 500 miles this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The 2006 parts book says they both fit all "99 and later touring models. The super premium was stock on a SE RK which was lowered, so I see no reason why it will not fit on yours.
The big difference in the two is the mounting and plumbing. Not sure the Super is worth another $130 but that is just me.
Next question is why are you adding it?
Will you ride in 95* plus heat a lot. If not, you probably do not need one.
I am not againest them, I have them on my bikes, but I ride in TX, NM, AZ, and UT in the summer alot.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in northern VA near D.C. and in the summertime it gets pretty hot and humid around here. The traffic is awful and it has taken me as long as 2 1/2 hours to get to or from work in that heat. I do not want to ruin my motor. I figured this would help. I do ride my bikes, usually at least 8,000 a year. I love this bike and plan on keeping it for a while so I want to add some functional pieces to it to make it work better.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I do not know about your FLHX, but oil cooler works perfect on my Road King Classic 2001 FLHRCI. Even during the hot summer days and parades, the engine temperature is usually under the regular working temperature of about 230 degrees F (110 degrees Celsius). The engine temperature NEVER exceeds regular working temperature of about 230 degrees F ! :thumbsup:

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I recently got the HD super premium for my Ultra. The thermostat built into a new chrome plated filter housing that replaces the stock housing was a big selling point. I like it so far. Only thing is the rubber hoses run awfuly close to the frame so watch for that.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
JJsFLHX
Sounds like a good addition to the bike under your riding conditions.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to go with the super premium. I will order it this week. I just got a 20% off coupon for one of the Harley dealers around here so I will use that. Once I get it installed I will let you know how it turned out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I live in MD above DC. Ride an 02 FXST with 1550 kit and 203 cams.
I run strickly on AMSOIL in all three holes.
engine oil temp on gage is about 200 to 210 in summer time.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts