V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
225 Posts
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you need one if its the HD cooler. They're self limiting. Cool oil wont pass thru (or passes thru slowly) it till it warms up.

· Moneygreen
4,773 Posts
Do you really need a cover? Wouldn't that impede the cooling process???? Air is meant to go over fins to cool the oil!!! If you place a cover over it you impede air flow over the fins??????

· Moneygreen
4,773 Posts
A thermostat or cover must be used when the ambient temps are below 60 degrees. Otherwise the oil never reaches proper operating temp.
I thought all HD oil coolers come with thermostats??? $hit whose riding when its below 60 degress anyway.It's cold as a muther out there!!!!!!!!!!!!:spank:

· Premium Member
225 Posts
I thought all HD oil coolers come with thermostats??? $hit whose riding when its below 60 degress anyway.It's cold as a muther out there!!!!!!!!!!!!:spank:
I have one word for ya bud....Gerbing's :)

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Some of ya may remember and some may not, but I did a big write up earlier in the year about removing the thermostat from my HD cooler adapter, as I was not getting any flow in 120 degree weather. (Lauflin run)

Now that the weather has gotten colder, I'm having problems reaching 180 degrees. Also, after I installed my Andrews 26H cams this summer, my temps went down to around 200 in the hot weather.

· Registered
6,406 Posts
I'm looking for a cold weather cover.
Drag Specialities used to sell one. I've run oil coolers for years with no thermostat's and used a cover for each one when temps dropped.

Now I just get my wife to make me one. She sews and they are very easy to make.

arealinvestor wrote:

Do you really need a cover? Wouldn't that impede the cooling process???? Air is meant to go over fins to cool the oil!!! If you place a cover over it you impede air flow over the fins????

The idea of the cover is to keep the air from flowing over the cooler. In effect, it reduces the ability of the cooler to cool down the oil. That's the whole idea if you're riding in low temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.