V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted a thread asking for help with my TC regarding lack of oil pressure and some other issues. I have resolved those issues, put the bike back together, started it up and it is burning oil-looks like a mosquito fogger-no noises, compression is good. I mean oil is running out the exhaust! There were no oil consumption issues before my troubles began and the bike wasn't ridden during the repair/replace process. It was started a time or two but only for a moment until all the pressure issues were fixed (new oil pump, new cam plate, new lifters). So, now I have pressure, the engine is finally quiet--but it smokes like my worn out 50 Plymouth in high school! This is a 2000 FXDX superglide sport, 26,000 miles, stock carb, se203 cams, stock exhaust. Any Ideas?? I am about ready to make it into a nice boat anchor-at least I would get some use out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
twinsdaddyo said:
I recently posted a thread asking for help with my TC regarding lack of oil pressure and some other issues. I have resolved those issues, put the bike back together, started it up and it is burning oil-looks like a mosquito fogger-no noises, compression is good. I mean oil is running out the exhaust! There were no oil consumption issues before my troubles began and the bike wasn't ridden during the repair/replace process. It was started a time or two but only for a moment until all the pressure issues were fixed (new oil pump, new cam plate, new lifters). So, now I have pressure, the engine is finally quiet--but it smokes like my worn out 50 Plymouth in high school! This is a 2000 FXDX superglide sport, 26,000 miles, stock carb, se203 cams, stock exhaust. Any Ideas?? I am about ready to make it into a nice boat anchor-at least I would get some use out of it.
What did you take apart? Any leads could help the pros to determine the cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the valve covers, push rods, rockers and breathers, cam cover-replaced cam position sensor, lifters, oil pump, cam plate. Changed oil and filter, checked compression. Removed cams from old cam plate and installed in new cam plate, replaced all o-rings on pump and cam plate along with all gaskets needed.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Sorry if I'm missing the point but I saw a similar show of FOG when my friend picked up a used 88". It turned out the oil was over filled. Hope your problem is that simple.

·
Banned
48 Posts
twinsdaddyo said:
I removed the valve covers, push rods, rockers and breathers, cam cover-replaced cam position sensor, lifters, oil pump, cam plate. Changed oil and filter, checked compression. Removed cams from old cam plate and installed in new cam plate, replaced all o-rings on pump and cam plate along with all gaskets needed.
Does it have a stock air cleaner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drained and refilled the oil just to make sure it was not overfilled. The air cleaner is k&N. I am going to drain and refill the gastank today in case my gas was contaminated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts