V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an ‘06 Softail Night Train with a fuel injected TC88. We had two hurricanes here in ‘17 and it sat just above the ocean for the storms and nearly two years after. I bought it for $500 and started working on it. Rust was a major issue, as the salt spray from the ocean, which was a mere 150’ away, just powerwashed the bike and then it just sat. The fuel tank was almost a lost cause, but I managed to get it cleaned up and useable , and replaced the EFI fuel check assembly. I drained all fluids and refilled them to proper levels per manual recommendations. I started her up, let her run for about 15 minutes (idle is too high, but I’ll deal with that later), then went for a gentle ride. Sitting in traffic in 88° heat in the Caribbean, air cooled engines can get a little warm. But nothing to worry about too much. But as I’m sitting at a light I smell burning oil and I look down and oil is dripping out of the air filter box onto the exhaust. I pull over, check the oil tank, and this thing is FULL, right up to the cap! I was close to home, so I hobbled her in. Let it sit overnight, and I just went out and the oil tank is still completely full! WTF? Any ideas as to what my next step should be??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oil had sumped in the crankcase, remove oil from the tank ( maybe 1/2 qt ). and see if it still is too high, if so remove
more. Many run softails 1/2qt low to help prevent oil from exiting the head breathers and getting all over the filter.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
If you drained the fluids off the cold motor you still left a remarkable amount of oil in the system and if you refilled per service manual you certainly have too much oil in it. Engine and primary drive fluid levels are critical with respect to proper system function. Too much oil in the primary results in improper clutch function and too much engine oil leads to sumping and oil blowby through the breather system. A good way to refill engine oil is to start with 2.5 to 2.8 quarts then crank the engine until oil pressure is evident and then refill to halfway between min and max on the dipstick. Primary is filled per manual and gearbox is filled to just a tad below the max mark. No problems here this way since 2001.

Armin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil had sumped in the crankcase, remove oil from the tank ( maybe 1/2 qt ). and see if it still is too high, if so remove
more. Many run softails 1/2qt low to help prevent oil from exiting the head breathers and getting all over the filter.
Head breathers completely dry. Primary was very low . Drained oil tank from the bottom of the tank, refilled primary and oil tank. Let it idle for three or four minutes and the primary is low and the oil tank is almost full. Clog in the line from bottom of tank to crankcase?

·
Registered
202 Posts
your primary oil and engine oil tank are 2 completely separate oil systems.

If your head breathers are dry and your getting an oil soaked air breather something else is amiss.
Head breathers is where oil usually gets into/onto the air filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I guess I should have been clearer. Head breathers are dry. I meant tranny, not primary. But the tranny and the oil tank levels shouldn’t change in respect to the other. After MB along the fluid levell L a correct one both, let it idols for 3-4 minutes, oil tank is full and tranny level is lower. Which should be impossible, I know. Now this thing sat after going through TWO Cat 5 hurricanes for almost two years. When I drained the oil and changed the filter, I filled it up to the “cold” level. Maybe it had wet sumped and when I started it it took awhile before the sumped oil started to get pumped back into the oil tank? Maybe the tranny level was correct when I changed it, but was completely upright on the bike rack, and when I checked it at home after seeing the oil tank full, it was on its side stand. I going to rig up a way to have it perfectly upright and level this morning and get both levels at the correct amount and then warm it up and recheck fluids. If tranny is good, then at least I won’t be as stumped, knowing that the two systems are separate. I’ll then drain the crank oil, fill it to the proper level and then warm it up again, go for a ride, then recheck level “Hot”. If it’s high, then I know it’s wet sumping. (Or had done it while it sat and the seals are now dry and cracked.) Guess I just need to start over. Thanks you guys for your help. It’s helped me to get my mind right on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have previewed before posting. Edited below:

Yes, I guess I should have been clearer. Head breathers are dry. I meant tranny, not primary. But the tranny and the oil tank levels shouldn’t change in respect to the other. After draining the fluid levels and refilling them both to the correct levels, I’ll let it idle for 3-4 minutes, oil tank is full and tranny level is lower. Which should be impossible, I know. Now this thing sat after going through TWO Cat 5 hurricanes for almost two years. When I drained the oil and changed the filter, I filled it up to the “cold” level. Maybe it had wet sumped and when I started it it took awhile before the sumped oil started to get pumped back into the oil tank? Maybe the tranny level was correct when I changed it, but it was completely upright on the bike rack, and when I checked it at home after seeing the oil tank full, it was on its side stand. I’m going to rig up a way to have it perfectly upright and level this morning and get both levels at the correct amount and then warm it up and recheck fluids. If tranny is good, then at least I won’t be as stumped, knowing that the two systems are separate. I’ll then drain the crank oil, fill it to the proper level and then warm it up again, go for a ride, then recheck level “Hot”. If it’s high, then I know it’s wet sumping. (Or had done it while it sat and the seals are now dry and cracked.) Guess I just need to start over. Thanks you guys for your help. It’s helped me to get my mind right on this.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do you have a service manual? My 06 softail oil is checked on the kickstand per Service manual after being warmed up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts