V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
There is no need to be starting up the engine in the middle of an oil change or keep poring new in it while draining old.

Just drain, remove oil filter, replace oil filter with new and fill with oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently changed mine for the first time. You'd think it's rocket science by the way some bike owners refuse to attempt it. I decided on the HD brand (20/50) oil for now. Make sure you have a drain pan that fits under the bike, a new filter, filter wrench (I used a wrench that I previously bought for small car filters) and new "O" ring for the drain plug. Just warm up the engine, back out the drain plug (the one that's facing the front of the bike) a few turns and slide your pan underneath. Drain all the oil and remove the oil filter. Install the new filter, clean the drain plug and opening. Replace the plug (with new "O" ring) and add oil. Remember that you need to run the engine so that oil circulates through the new filter before you can get an accurate reading on the dipstick. Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
The one thing I do is to put some oil into the filter so the engine doesn't have to fill it all the way by itself. I fill the filter then let the material absorb the oil and then do it one more time. If more than that is put in it tends to run out when the filter is put on. I do this on all my vehicles so that there is less time that the engine is not receiving oil. It may be anal, you decide. On my vehicles where the filter is straight up I can fill the filter completely before putting it on, this allows instant lubrication when the vehicle is started.

One more thing, make sure to take the fill cap out right before taking the drain plug/hose off, this allows the oil to drain a LOT faster.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Is there a way to get the filter off without getting oil all over the engine. On my '06 (and I assume other years/models) the filter is horrizontal, so the instant it is loosend the oil that is still in the filter will spill out all over the place. Any tips? Thanks...

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
The secret to using the filter box as a "channel" is to do it very slowly and adjust a little when you back the filter off enough for the oil to start flowing. Another real key is that once you have drained all the oil out make sure the old seal didn't come off the old filter. Now, go in the house, wash your hands really good and dry them good. Take the new filter, untouched by oily hands, apply that coat of oil to the seal, and then screw it down as tight as you can get it with CLEAN, DRY hands. Clean filter + clean hands = filter much easier to tighten. (I still snug it a little more with the wrench...just human nature). This is how I do my bike and all vehicles....have NEVER had a leak or seepage.

Something else that works well is a large turkey pan (aluminum, reusable..about $3). Get the one that is about 24" x 18" and you can actually drain all three holes at the same time and then do the filter last. The main thing is to just take your time and enjoy working on your own bike. Like I have said before...a little Creedence on the boom box and a cold brewski don't hurt either. It's all the mental thing of having fun while the bike is trying to piss you off.

p.s. this is my answer from an earlier thread about this basic subject. ENJOY working on YOUR bike. You won't be sorry.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

1 - 6 of 6 Posts