V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the oil last night, if you plan to perform this task yourself be advised....The filter wrench that attaches to a ratchet is a very good idea. I do not have one, but I think it would have to fit a 3/8" drive in order to be used if the bike is not on a stand, Unless you have a very short 1/2" ratchet. Also a fine toothed ratchet or a couple of universals and an extension would make the job a whole lot easier. There is just not a whole lot of room around the filter, and not a lot of ground clearance either. I used a "strap style" filter wrench and the only thing that allowed it to work was the pivoting handle. Also, keep the low ground clearance in mind when selecting a drain pan - had to do a little fabricating! Other than that it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
In response to a question regarding whether it was o.k. for me to change my own oil at 500mi. and installing mobil 1 V-twin synthetic here is the response I received;

"In order to keep your factory warranty intact, Harley wants riders to have factory authorized scheduled maintenance performed at 1000 miles, 2500 miles, 5000 miles, etc.Also, HDMC specifically requires the sole usage of HD 20/50 oil"

So says the dealer. It seems to me anything for which I get a warning label on my new mirror stating that it's my responsiblity to check something every refuel should be also be my responsibility to change when and with what I perfer. hmmm.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that if a warranty requires the use of a specific BRAND of product (like HD oil,) then the product must be supplied to the customer at no additional charge. I don't know if this Federal, state, or local law, or just fiction...but it would definitely be worth finding out!!!!

Anyone know anything about this?

-Steve

·
Registered
603 Posts
Use any oil you want, as long as the oil meets the manufacturer recommendation and interval. Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of any engine problem can a manufacturer or dealer deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. Warranties must cover all equipment failures they would normally cover that are not caused by an after market product. Be sure and keep your oil & filter receipts ! I want to say that this is covered under the Magnuson-Ferguson act, but I cannot be certain at present.

JMS

·
Registered
450 Posts
Since the revolution moter is a new platform, that has been extensively tested with the recommended oil products, why wouldn't you just use the Harley 20-50 oil until the warranty has expired and then change to any oil you want to??

It sure would seem to be far less hassle expecially if you had a problem on the road and needed warranty service.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oil Changes At Home

OIL PLUG (17MM) In my experience I have found that if you let the bike lean over on the kickstand (to its left side) and you reach under it from the right you can easily remove the plug and place a normal drain pan under it.

OIL FILTER REMOVAL-- the easiest solution here is to purchase the Harley oil filter wrench (with the notch in the side) that fits all Harley filters. Then you put a 3/8 ratchet extension on it and the filter comes right off.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I emailed Mobil with this question:

"My Dealer stated that if I use Mobil 1 oil in my new Harley it will void my warranty and that Harley Davidson considers Synthetic oil to be No Good. Is it true that the use of Mobil 1 vtwin 20-50 could void my warranty?"

This is the response I received:

"No, Mobil1 V-TWIN 20W50 meets the correct API service rating and is the same exact weight of oil that Harley davidson recommends in their owner's manual. So they cannot and will not void your warranty. You will be perfectly fine with the use of the Mobil1 product."

Things that make you go hmmm.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If they do not supply the oil free of charge, then you are not bound by thier brand. However, the oil must:
a. Be of correct weight as stated by the manual (mine lists sevearl weights, with 20-50 being prefered, but not required).
b. Be of the correct rating
c. Be changed at the proper intervals as listed in the manual.

If you maintain a form of record of what you used, and when it was changed (to prove that it is consistant with the manuals recommendations), you will be fine. They can argue at the mechanics level, but they can not on a legal level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts