V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does 5000 miles between oil changes seem way too long to go?
How often do y'all change your oil? And if you're running syn does that factor into the frequency?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
loclhero said:
How often do y'all change your oil? And if you're running syn does that factor into the frequency?
I use synthetic and change my oil and filter at 5000. Transmission and primary at 10000.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
loclhero said:
Guys that use natural oil (this is what the majority of dealerships use) usually change it every 2,500 miles. Manual says every 5,000 miles even for the natural oil.

I use synthetic and change everything at 5,000. I could go longer with the oils I'm using but so as not to void my warranty I change it that often.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I use SE sny3.
engine oil and filter (k&n) every 2,500
trans and primary every 5,000

small price to pay to keep my bike taken care of. over kill maybe, but when I change the engine oil it's looks dark black like it's ready to be changed. the trans always looks like it could go much longer. primary looks ready.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I change my regular oil and filter every 1500-2000 miles and i do my trans and primary every other oil change(4000 miles)...But i am way to anal for my own good. I have never looked at the service schedule in the book as i do alot of those things almost every oil change....

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Using a good oil like on a diesel and changing the filter at the recommended time and just putting in replacement oil until you get to 100,000 miles (have heard of some going 409,000 miles) is done all the time with no advance wear to the engine. The oil color? Black as black can be. Oil color is not a good way to say that oil is bad. Oil analyst is the only way to say oil is bad. It also lets you know if there is a problem getting ready to happen.

Most gasoline powered engines can do the same thing. Just can't go as long for the complete oil change.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think comparing water cooled to air cooled may not be the best way to look at this question. but I don't go by color, I go by miles.

·
Registered
944 Posts
brownjams said:
I think comparing water cooled to air cooled may not be the best way to look at this question. but I don't go by color, I go by miles.
AND diesel VS. Gas... Very different contaminants.....

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
From a dealer website

We all know that with regular maintenance your Harley-Davidson will live longer, perform better, and hold its value. There is no question about that. However, there are a lot of questions about what "regular maintenance" means.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three levels of regular maintenance. They are:

Quick Service
Change engine oil and filter.
Inspect air cleaner, service as required.
Check rear belt adjustment.
Inspect transmission lubricant.
Inspect primary chain adjustment.
Inspect brake pad linings and discs for wear.
Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks.
Check, adjust operation of enrichener, throttle control.
Inspect fuel valve, lines and fittings for leaks.
Check operation of all electrical equipment & switches.
Check battery and clean connections.
Check tire pressure and inspect tread.
Road test.

Full Service
Change primary chaincase lube and clean drain plug.
Check and adjust rear belt.
Adjust primary chain.
Clutch adjustment.
Change transmission lubricant and clean drain plug.
Check brake fluid reservoir levels and condition.
Lubricate front brake hand lever, throttle control cables, clutch control cables (and hand lever), rear brake pedal bushing (if applicable).
Check steering head bearings.
Inspect spark plugs.
Check wheel spoke tightness.
Lubricate hinges, latches - fuel door, tour-pak, saddlebags.
Check tightness of all critical fasteners: hand controls, brake system, axle nuts, front fork components, riser and handle bar fasteners.
Check engine idle speed.
Road test.

Major Service
Change primary chaincase lube and clean drain plug.
Check and adjust rear belt.
Adjust primary chain.
Clutch adjustment.
Change transmission lubricant and clean drain plug.
Check brake fluid reservoir levels and condition.
Lubricate front brake hand lever, throttle control cables, clutch control cables (and hand lever), rear brake pedal bushing (if applicable).
Lubricate jiffy stand.
Lubricate and adjust steering head bearings.
Clean fuel tank filter screen.
Change spark plugs.
Check wheel spoke tightness.
Change front fork oil.
Repack rear fork bearings (if applicable).
Adjust springer rocker bearings.
Check tightness of all critical fasteners: hand controls, brake system, axle nuts, front fork components, riser and handle bar fasteners.
Lubricate hinges, latches - fuel door, tour-pak, saddlebags.
Check engine idle speed.
Road test.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How often do I need which kind of service?

Harley-Davidson specifies maintenance requirements as follows.

2003 and Earlier

1,600 km..........Initial Service..........1,000 Miles
4,000 km..........Quick Service..........2,500 Miles
8,000 km..........Full Service.............5,000 Miles
12,000 km........Quick Service...........7,500 Miles
16,000 km........Full Service..............10,000 Miles
20,000 km........Quick Service...........12,500 Miles
24,000 km........Full Service..............15,000 Miles
28,000 km........Quick Service...........17,500 Miles
32,000 km........Major Service...........20,000 Miles

Repeat from 4,000 km interval

2004 and Later

1,600 km.........Initial Service..........1,000 Miles
8,000 km.........Full Service.............5,000 Miles
16,000 km.......Full Service.............10,000 Miles
24,000 km.......Full Service.............15,000 Miles
32,000 km.......Major Service..........20,000 Miles

Repeat from 8,000 km interval

We strongly recommend that, for most riders, the 2003 and earlier maintenance schedule be followed for ALL year model vehicles!

Of course they do :whistle: I thought that the idea of running synthetic oils was to get longer service intervals? Obviously, if you motorcycle listed on eBay as low mileage, please dis-regard this post %[email protected]

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
johsch53 said:
I use synthetic and change my oil and filter at 5000. Transmission and primary at 10000.
Ditto.

Yep.

Ditto.

(Had to have at least 10 characters)

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
johsch53 said:
Same here. I used to run dino and change it every 2500 but I felt like I was changing my oil every other week! PIA. I'd rather ride.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
:duh?: :duh?: :duh?:

Oil should be changed daily. ;)

If fact, you should log off and go do it right now. :yes:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
brownjams said:
The point I was making is that oil analyst is the best way to tell when to change. I had a 1989 3L Ford Taurus that I went 68,000 before doing a complete oil change on. Changed the filter and added oil lost with the filter every 5,000 miles. Didn't burn any oil when I sold it at 149,000 miles. Told the guy that bought it to use nothing but synthetic in it. Did he listen? No!!! Car started burning oil about 1,000 miles into his ownership. He was using Valvoline 10W-30. .79 a quarts STUPID!!!!!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Seeing as how changing the primary and tranny fluids only adds another 30 minutes I change them when I do an oil change (which is about every 3000). Depends on if I have ridden alot or not. Last year I changed fluids twice the whole season (work schedule didn't allow for a lot of riding).

Oh BTW I ran Syn3 in last bike and after the SG hits 1k I will switch that over to Syn3 also.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
nt30 said:
Seeing as how changing the primary and tranny fluids only adds another 30 minutes I change them when I do an oil change (which is about every 3000). Depends on if I have ridden alot or not. Last year I changed fluids twice the whole season (work schedule didn't allow for a lot of riding).

Oh BTW I ran Syn3 in last bike and after the SG hits 1k I will switch that over to Syn3 also.
not to be a smart arse but if you ride 3000 miles is it sometimes more than others? I used to be good at math but not as good as I used to be.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
wkon, i've always been interested in doing a partial change on a vehicle, never been game. has anyone ever done this on a bike or car, i.e. syn or min, change filter and portion of oil every say 1-2000 miles. comments or flames all welcome ...

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
bonnie john said:
wkohn, i've always been interested in doing a partial change on a vehicle, never been game. has anyone ever done this on a bike or car, i.e. syn or min, change filter and portion of oil every say 1-2000 miles. comments or flames all welcome ...
I have done it. Was using synthetic. I don't know if anyone has done this with a bike but I have done it with my car. The problem you run into with an air cooled engine is the heat breaks down the viscosity of the oil. That is why it is so important to do an oil analyst (remember to take a old and clean sample of your oil before putting it into the bike and send them to the lab along with all the information on your bike. i.e. type, engine size, fuel used) and a filter change when you do it. Once my bike is out of warranty I will be doing it. When that comes I will be going at least 7,500 miles before I change a filter and be shooting for a complete change at 22,500 miles. That is pretty long for an air cooled engine.

Everyone else will think I'm nuts. But I have done this before.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
wyodude said:
:duh?: :duh?: :duh?:

Oil should be changed daily. ;)

If fact, you should log off and go do it right now. :yes:
I thought it was; Underwear daily and oil every 3,000 miles. Guess I got it backwards.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.