V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a rebuild on my engine and was wondering every ones thoughts on oil change. How often would you think its needed during the break in of new engine componets? When you get a new bike bike you ride it and change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles.
I am thinking ride it for about 15 or so miles and dump while hot. Next ride would go about 50 - 100 and dump while hot. Then go another 500 and dump and return to normal change intervals. Thoughts on it?
thanks

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I changed mine at 50, 100 and 500 but that is excessive if you ask me. I would follow the break in procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Springer, not sure you change it to much during break in with the metal contamination thats possible. I always wondered how they did at the factory. I mean they run each bike for a bit and i wonder if they change the oil before it sent to a dealer for sale.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
shrike96 said:
Thanks Springer, not sure you change it to much during break in with the metal contamination thats possible. I always wondered how they did at the factory. I mean they run each bike for a bit and i wonder if they change the oil before it sent to a dealer for sale.
No, they don't.

Nothing wrong with your first post intervals. Whatever makes you feel good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would change it at 100 just in case there were some metal shavings. Then 1000 and then every 5000. 50, 100, 250 etc. will get expensive and be a waste of oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts