V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm planning on doing the 10k service on my 2004 Road King, and I can't find any information in the owners manual for oil capacities in the Transmission, and primary. My service manual won't be delivered until next week. Just doing some research.

What is the oil capacity for the Transmission, and the primary in quarts or onnces (oz) ?

Thank You

JLOPEZ

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just pour a quart in the primary. Transmission will take about 23-24 oz., maybe some more, maybe less. The dipstick has a full mark on it. Use to get to the right level. Don't screw the dipstick all the way in. Just one turn to make sure it's at the right angle. Make sure the bike's in a upright postion.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
What Ed said. Just do not over fill the trans. Best to be just below the full mark than over it. A turkey baster and a piece of hose is the tool to correct that common problem.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Dontdial911 said:
And J...Seriously consider getting a Shop Manual for that bike. Best $$ you will spend in a while. Safe riding and have a nice day.
Read his post. He says the manual is on order but won't be in until next week!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oil capacity in primary chain case

I have a softail FXSTI (2005) and ever since I bought it new the clutch in 1st gear would always snatch and jerk as I moved away from stop. After endless trial and error, I eventually found what it was: Too much oil in the primary chain case. The shop had emptied a full quart (32 fl oz) in, (I measured it when I emptied it out when doing routine maintenance myself). When I put in the CORRECT amount (26 fl oz) the problem was 100% resolved. Now I have the smoothest clutch in town!! Advice: add exactly the correct amount of oil for your bike.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well Giles, unless they have changed the capacity of the primary in the last few years, 32oz is the correct amount for the primary on a RK and it used to be the correct amount for a Softail, but that was when they were EVO's.
Useing the correct amount is always good advice, but each type of bike can take different amounts.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Dontdial911 said:
20-24 0z in the tranny of RK or EGs

20-24 in the tranny, 26 in the primary. If you put a full quart in there with the cover off on the jiffy stand it will run all over. Full should be just under the inside lip of hole.

Look through the owners manual again, it is in there..
Service manual is better reading on the subject tho.

Brad

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
On a touring bike the primary should get a full quart of oil. Softails take less oil then a touring bike.
You guys with other bikes should know not all Harleys are the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
20-24 in the tranny, 26 in the primary. If you put a full quart in there with the cov

I put a full quart of HD syn in my primary and it just touches the bottom of the clutch spring. You have to rock the bike to see it and use a flashlight. You state here to fill just under the lip while upright on the derby cover? I think this would be too much. Any help?

20-24 in the tranny, 26 in the primary. If you put a full quart in there with the cover off on the jiffy stand it will run all over. Full should be just under the inside lip of hole.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
I think the important part of what I said was "with the cover OFF ON THE JIFFY STAND"..

Filling it that full OFF THE STAND would be too much.

Brad

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks ridemywideglide. Everything states upright checks for the primary and xmsn. I am new with HD but bike savy. I do all of my own maintenance because the local dealer does not do the quality work I do. My baby you know. Just did my second trip to Daytona from Melbourne this week and everything ran electra glide smooth. Only getting 28-31 mpg though. I like your wideglide. Perfect world would allow me to have my FLHTC and a dyna wg.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
rustyrun said:
Thanks ridemywideglide. Everything states upright checks for the primary and xmsn. I am new with HD but bike savy. I do all of my own maintenance because the local dealer does not do the quality work I do. My baby you know. Just did my second trip to Daytona from Melbourne this week and everything ran electra glide smooth. Only getting 28-31 mpg though. I like your wideglide. Perfect world would allow me to have my FLHTC and a dyna wg.
Upright for the Tranny is correct. The primary would be fun to fill and check if you had to read upright tho. Yours may well be a different "oz" capacity, read the manual or service book to be sure, but bottom of the hole on the stand seems to apply accross the board. Maybe covers are built a little different, who knows.
I like my WG too (thanks) :banana: I may get a Tourer someday, but this bike is the best of both worlds for me at the moment. Can't carry alot, but it's smooth and comfortable on the highway, and still a bit of a bar-hopper.
I did Sturgis-to-home last year in 1 day, 787 miles=14 hours in the seat and I wasn't ready to get off the bike when I got here. If there were some decent looking bags for her I'd be set.:brows:

28-31 seems low to me, my buddy traded in his 05 Ultra for the new Streetglide, and both are (were) getting better than that at 75+ on the highway. Both he and I were topping 200 miles between stops on the Sturgis trip, I was usually about 1/8 tank or so better than his, but alot less frontal area.
Both EFI tho, don't know what your is. May be able to tune a little more out of it.

Brad

·
FEAR.the killer of dreams
239 Posts
I am assuming the level seen with a flashlight is while it's leaning to the left on the jiffy stand. I have heard and read differing methods of checking fluid levels. for instance, while checking engine oil one says hot engine, leaning left with the stand down while another source states the bike should be held upright.
I have always checked while hot on the jiffy stand. anyone dissagree?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Time to resurrect this old thread...
I just did my first fluid change on my 2003 FLSTCI.
The service manual states that the primary needs 26oz of fluid. It does not state whether the level is checked on the jiffy stand or upright. I had my bike on a jack, so it was upright. I put 32 oz of fluid in before I could see it just touching the bottom of the clutch pack. Unfortunately, I couldn't measure what came out because it was drained into the same container as the crankcase oil.
I went for a quick spin to check for leaks and the clutch felt fine.
So, can anyone tell which is right?
Should it be checked on the stand or upright?
My bike has been upped to a 95ci from the TC 88, but I am assuming that it was jugs only to bring the displacement up. I am guessing that the bottom end is stock 88.

A related question;
How in the HELL am I supposed to get to the tranny drainplug?! It's up between the shocks, but there's no way to get around the jack to remove it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well my 2012 SG manual says upright, of course the touring bike takes 38 oz of fluid, it is just touching the bottom of the clutch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts