V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time my oil cap blew. It happens when I am rolling in 1st and then jump on it. Before I can hit 4th. gear about a 1/2 quart of oil along with the cap are gone. WHAT A MESS! It happens when I top off the oil to the full mark on the dip stick or slighty just below the mark when the engine is warm. Yes I know that I should just run the scoot with less oil but somehow that just doesn't seem right. I guess it is better than blowing gaskets or seals. Do these caps need replacement or do I have too much oil and generate too much pressure? This last occurance happened 45 miles into my ride.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Overfilling the oil will increase the possibility of this happening.
Make sure that the oil filler dip stick and the area that the dip stick seat into are as free of oil as possible. This makes it harder for the oil filler cap to pop out.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Here's one possible reason that occurs on 99 thru 01 models:

When you put that much torque to the ground, the oil in the tank sloshes to the back of the tank and stays there while you're accelerating, it will flood the vent line going back to the crankcase. You'll notice on the newer models, they have a vent line that runs from the cam chest back to the dipstick spout. Your issue is exactly why that change was made. HD sells a kit to update the vent line.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No the dip stick is stock and I do try to keep the area clean of oil. Sounds like the update kit may do the trick. Have any idea what the part number is, cost, and how diffucult is it to install. I tried the HD Moco website but did not see anything like that.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
superk13 said:
No the dip stick is stock and I do try to keep the area clean of oil. Sounds like the update kit may do the trick. Have any idea what the part number is, cost, and how diffucult is it to install. I tried the HD Moco website but did not see anything like that.
HD part # is 62454-02A, Cam Cavity Vent Tube, silver. Retail cost is $64.75, price from Zanotti's is $38.76. I also believe they make either a black one or a chrome one. Check the HD P&A book.

Install is real easy except right exhaust has to come off.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Ed Y: I will check it out and see if my engine has an oil line vent spout so I can connect the thing. From what I remember I do not recall seeing anything the bypass vent line can be connected to. Just hope all 99touring models came equipped to install this kit.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
superk13 said:
Thanks for the info Ed Y: I will check it out and see if my engine has an oil line vent spout so I can connect the thing. From what I remember I do not recall seeing anything the bypass vent line can be connected to. Just hope all 99touring models came equipped to install this kit.
Yes, any 99 touring bike can handle the kit. Part of the kit is a replacement for the piece that has the oil filler spout on it. Go to http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/instructionsheets.htm

and look for insts sheet J01291. It will have all the insts to install the kit. You'll also see that 62453-02 is the part # for the black kit. I installed it on my 99 EG.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Ed Y. Sounds like this may just do the trick.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok Guys here is an update on my situation: I purchased a new oil spout and rerouted the line from the cam housing to the new oil spout. All went well or so I though. I assembled everything back together and took the bike out for a short ride to see if I had any leaks. Everything was dry and no more blowing the oil cap. The next day I took her out for a longer ride (at least 2 hours) and when I returned oil was leaking from the bottom of the spout housing. Since I used the same gasket which was stuck to the housing and did not use locktight on the 4 bolts that hold the spout, I assume that was the problem, either the gasket was warn or one of the bolts came lose. I tore it down again replaced the gasket, this time with some gasket sealer and used blue locktight on the bolts.

My question is, no where in the HD instructions that came with the part or in the manual does it call for gasket seal or locktight. Is there a possibility that I will have the same problem? Should I have not done this and just tried to replace the gasket without the sealer and bolts without locktight?
:huh:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the gasket sealer on the new gasket mess anything up?

·
Registered
286 Posts
superk13 said:
Will the gasket sealer on the new gasket mess anything up?
Depends, it will just make it harder to remove the old gasket if you ever have to take it apart again. Cleaning the sealant off the aluminum can be a bitch sometimes. Other than that No Problem.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.....Just hope it has sealed well and I never need to remove that part.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I seem to be back to square one on this. Changed the gasket and used sealer and loctite. Again took ithe bike out for a short ride and everything was dry. Then took her for a long ride yesterday and when I returned it was leaking but only a few drops way less than before. I do not think I can tighten the spout housing any more without cracking it.

I guess that I can live with it since it is only a few drops, but before I started messing around with it all was fine. The good thing is that the oil cap stays put now. I was kinda hoping though that I just had a tad too much oil in her even though my dip stick reads halfway betwwen add and full when hot.

Does anyone have a clue what maybe happing here? :crying:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just a guess, but I see in your sig that your using a Fueling oil pump, maybe too much oil pressure? That could be the reason for your "bottle rocket" dipstick.:eek:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No doubt that is the cause but those oil pumps are made to handle my engine torque. I will try dropping the oil level a bit and see if my leak subsides. To replace the oil punp with a Moco OEM is not my first choice.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
i heard those oil pumps are junk from a local indy who has replaced many. I was also told the pump has to be aligned correctly or the dipstick will blow-ask about this!my buddy blew all kinds of oil on his leg and bike on the freeway because of this. just a thought........................

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am getting ready to realign pump. Did with my new build. Going to try again. I am having similar problem. Not blowing cap off buts coming out there. I just installed baisley spring. Which I am not 100% sold on.
I wrote down the part# for vent, may look into that in the fguture, I have 2001.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
I'm thinkin, motor vents pressure built under the piston/cylinder. Does it have anything to do with oil feed, return? Pump misalignment would have oil puking out the vent lines controlled by the air/oil separator up in the head.
Could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts