V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 Softail with Stock CV carb and teardrop airfilter cover (SS type design) with a K&N air filter. I am getting small spots of oil blowing back onto my oil tank from ( I guess) the air filter cover. There is a tiny amount of oil collecting in the bottom of the air filter cover. Nothing is connected to the airfilter backing plate and I have a hose running from the head breathers down to the bottom of the bike with a small K&N filter to catch any blowby from the heads, so there is no oil coming from the heads into the carb or filter area. However, the oil is still collecting in the air filter cover.

I'm stumped. It is not a great amount of oil but this has just started happening and I'm am concerned that this is a sign of pending trouble. I was told that some filter setups can cause the CV carb to actually spit out a tiny amount of gas back out of the carb throat. Am I "washing" the K&N filter oil out of the filter?? I don't smell any raw fuel and the oil looks like regular brown engine oil.

Any suggestions or possible solutions to this??

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's exactly what's happening. If the bike is mechanically sound this type of reversion can be caused by cam overlap and mostly the pipes.
If the bike is running on the rich side the condition will be magnified.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem on my 97 Fat Boy (CMC) with an S&S engine! I recently I had my rear head gasket replaced because I saw oil around the back area of the head. I got the bike back and it is still getting minute drops of oil on my oil tank???:confused: This only happens if I open the bike up on the highway, say 80-100mph. :rolleyes: I was going to have the head gasket done again because I still see some oil around the gasket area, not dripping but slightly wet, say, few drops smeared. As far as comming from my carburator area, I did not suspect that because my air filter is clean with no oil stains at all....:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts