V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 Deuce, and when the bike sits for a few days, the oil bag drains down into the engine. When I start it, the bag fills fairly quickly. Can't seem to find why this is happening. Any of you come across this prolbem?

·
Registered
413 Posts
There’s a potential oil pump alignment issue that has been sited to cause excessive wet sumping (as you’ve described) and crankcase ventilation carry over. HD has been known to send bikes out the door with oil pump alignment issues and from what I’ve read, there are at least two procedures for oil pump alignment. One involves loosening the oil pump body enough to allow it to find its own center while rotating the crank and the preferred method requires the use of a pair of EVO guide pins in two of the oil pump mounting holes. I believe there is also an oil seal on the base of the oil pump that could cause these same issues as well.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
mlewis said:
There’s a potential oil pump alignment issue that has been sited to cause excessive wet sumping (as you’ve described) and crankcase ventilation carry over. HD has been known to send bikes out the door with oil pump alignment issues and from what I’ve read, there are at least two procedures for oil pump alignment. One involves loosening the oil pump body enough to allow it to find its own center while rotating the crank and the preferred method requires the use of a pair of EVO guide pins in two of the oil pump mounting holes. I believe there is also an oil seal on the base of the oil pump that could cause these same issues as well.
This is the correct way to install a pump but the alignment has nothing to do with sumping.
The oil pump was changed in 2000 or 2001 to an upgrade to stop the sumping, the pump had a wave washer and two seperator plates in between the gerotors....the wave washer keeps pressure on the gerotors to stop the oil from passing through the pump into the cases. If you have the new pump in your bike I'd say the ''o'' ring on the pump body or the ''o'' ring on the cam plate to case is bad and needs replacing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts