V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil and brakes obviously do not mix. I recently had an issue where the cap came off of my oil tank spewing 250* oil all over my leg and down the right side of the bike. Of course I cleaned everything up but I am looking for recommendations to get the oil off the rear brake pads or should I just replace them?

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
sal1269 said:
Oil and brakes obviously do not mix. I recently had an issue where the cap came off of my oil tank spewing 250* oil all over my leg and down the right side of the bike. Of course I cleaned everything up but I am looking for recommendations to get the oil off the rear brake pads or should I just replace them?
Did you try cleaning them with some brake cleaner? That should work. Make sure you clean the rotor good too.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I would remove the brake pads and submerge/soke them in brake cleaner for a couple hours (to make sure no oil soked into the pads etc). Let them dry naturally (make sure they are completely dry), and put back on. While the brake pads are off, clean off the rotor with brake cleaner as well. Make sure you clean up the bike real good... Don't want a random drop from some hidden spot blowing back onto the rotors. Good luck...

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I agree with miles to go. Once you have as much oil cleaned off as you can with good old soap and water..then move on to using as much of a can of "brake cleaner" as you need. Don't subsitute anything that is not a degreaser. Get the pads and caliper as clean as you can and ride it for awhile..and check it each time you get home to see if you need to spray again.

Good luck.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You really dont' need to soak the pads, they're non absorbant. Spray them off, allow them to air dry. Scuff them on a piece of 180 grit sand paper, spray them off again, and reinstall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts