V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i run a 3.3 ohm resistor and a .7 ohm resistor in series will that equal 4 ohms? the law was alittle confusing to me and this is the easiest place to find out. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or run two 8 ohm resistors in parallel which will give you 4 ohms and increase the wattage of the resistor ckt. if needed.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
@gree: both correct...

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
variable resistor option

you could also use a variable resistor and adjust accordingly.:roflback:

Actually the issue I would like to point out is regarding the size of the resistor in terms of wattage. Small electronic resistors are designed for lighter duty. If your constructing a resistance unit you must also consider the wattage requirements. All resistors have limits.

My students never got the concept until they fried a few resistors in an effort to build a system for higher wattage than the resistors could handle. Minimal smoke and some burnt smell make a better technician.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm trying to figure out those heated grips.there has to be a way to build them that's less than what they are selling for. i made 4 heated vests so far and those cost adout $25 apiece to make. grips should be alot less.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
30 ga.wrapping wire from radio shack. i think the last spool i bought was $6 for 50 ft. .1 ohm per foot. 35 to 40 feet of wire per vest.the shorter the wire the hotter it is. now i need to figure out heated grips.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how thick are the elements? do the grips fit over them easy? that price is more like it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
bagga said:
how thick are the elements? do the grips fit over them easy? that price is more like it.
not too sure... never installed a set, but if you call the nice guys over at California Sport Touring, I'm sure they would gladly be able to answer any questions.

California Sport Touring Inc.
New Orders only: (888)799-5445
Follow-ups and all other calls: (510) 741-3700
Store Hours 9:00 AM - 6:30 PM PST Tuesday-Saturday
Closed Sunday-Monday
636 Alfred Nobel Drive
Hercules, CA 94547

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
living in green bay makes being a packers fan automatic. the raiders are my afc team tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts