V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do if you’re looking for a part and Harley tells you it is obsolete? Is there a vendor or manufacturer that makes original parts? I’m specifically looking for the rubber weatherstripping for a 2003 Dyna console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,099 Posts
Harley makes original parts. There are plenty of aftermarket parts out there. Ya just gotta search a little.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,727 Posts
You can also have your dealer check his network to see if another dealer still has one on the shelf.

joe

·
Registered
17,325 Posts
You can also have your dealer check his network to see if another dealer still has one on the shelf.

joe
Since the parts guy (FXR owner) at our local dealer retired, I'm afraid to ask the asshole kid that replaced him anything. He's not really a rambunctious type.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
You can try this but I’d call J&P first and ask the if it will fit.

Or, get some Black door edge trim from an auto parts store. Remove your console from the tank, get a strip of the edge trim And lay it across the top of a pan of boiling water (Not IN the water) until it becomes soft, Then mold it to the curve of your dash panel. Let it cool in place on the console, then use adhesive as necessary to hold it in place.

There’s also this: V-Twin Manufacturing Fuel Tank Rubber Trim - 28-0200 Harley-Davidson Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,099 Posts

Or, get some Black door edge trim from an auto parts store. Remove your console from the tank, get a strip of the edge trim And lay it across the top of a pan of boiling water (Not IN the water) until it becomes soft, Then mold it to the curve of your dash panel. Let it cool in place on the console, then use adhesive as necessary to hold it in place.

There’s also this: V-Twin Manufacturing Fuel Tank Rubber Trim - 28-0200 Harley-Davidson Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
That's pretty inventive. (y)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I saw those. They say they won’t fit but I might try them anyway.

And your other idea is awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
j&p fitment info is not always correct and/or complete... their "tech's" dont know either..
harley used to maintain a parts depot that stocked only obsolete parts,, the dealer parts dept can access the site..
for old parts tedd's cycle can supply most trim

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I bought my bike in 08, the trim was dry and cracked. I replaced it at the dealership. Seven years later, that was also dry rotted, and I got the same obsolete as you when I went back for more. Just find something that works for you. If you can't live with that, trade it in on a shiny new ride. The clock will be reset for another 10-15 years. BTW, 5 years later, mine isn't any more rotten.

I think Tedd's is now V-Twin Mfg. V-Twin Manufacturing-Aftermarket Products for Harley Davidson and Antique Motorcycles They have what I want but at $45 I don't really need it. That's not taking anything away from them, I'm just cheap.

Get the part number for your trim, it won't make it any easier finding what you need, but you won't waste as much time looking at the wrong stuff, wondering if it's what you need.

FXR2's link above was pretty much everything. You do know there were 5-6 different Dyna models for 2003, with at least 4 different style of instruments. You have to be specific or spend your time looking at all the different pages in the parts book(s). You can't just say 2003 Dyna. Go back, scroll up, scroll down. You'll find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, because the link I gave is to the online parts catalog for 2003 Dynas. Oh well.
On the tank there is that long piece of plastic and on top of that is the I trimmer console. There is rubber around both.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found it using that link. Thanks it’s part number 67119-95 TRIM, console. Thanks very much.

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
Oops. I was thinking the smaller size trim around the edge of the piece that runs the length of the tank on top.

·
In disguise
2,805 Posts
I have (maybe) the same dash panel and instrument housing on my FXR2, with the same two types of edging. The little stuff that goes around the flat chrome panel tries to come off from time to time, and I keep taking it off, cleaning the remains whatever old adhesive I used out of the groove and trying something else. I’ve seen numerous bikes that use the same dash panel but the edging is gone completely.

The larger edging around the instrument housing has never been a problem, however. It’s pinched between the two parts in question here, unlikely to fall out on it’s own, and mine, anyway, is still in very good condition.

I lived in Europe for a few years and while there did a favor for a FXR4 owner in the US. There’s a Dutch guy who apparently bought up a bunch of soon to be obsolete HD parts and now sells them. Google Jan Willem Boon. He had the HD stock for the edge trim used on the chrome dash panel used on FXR 2’s, 3’s, and 4’s, but he didn’t ship to the US, so I had it shipped to me and then relayed it back to the US to the -4 owners’ address. That was a few years ago. Who knows, maybe he ships to the US these days?

·
Premium Member
1998 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic 95th Anniversary
13 Posts
Here is a link to an eStore that sells new old stock Harley-Davidson parts.

link: NOS

If you have your bike's original parts book you can search by the OEM part number.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts