V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HD slash cuts that are super quiet. I looked in the muffler and there is a metal plug right in the middle of the baffles(which are not removable)

Can those be puched out or drilled?????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drilling or punching out

I have part no 80381-00 HD slash cuts on my 2005 fatty.
Now these are the quiet ones with the flat discs inside which you see.
Mine are the 50 state legal type so have no cats in,and i just bought a 12" drill extension for a "Hex shank" drill bit and ran this through the middle,sort of gave me around double the volume in sound,but depends on how large hole you put in,quarter inch is a good start,and go from there.
Heres the tricky bit for you though,im presuming you have cats in yours?,if so punching through with a metal spike will destroy them,drilling with probably be OK as long as you break through really easy {metal is thin and soft} BUT the cats are real good silencers by thereselves,so you may,or may not, notice a lot of difference.hope this helps a bit!
regards,Dave.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I drilled a 1/4 hole in plug. It made a little difference, So, I then drilled a 1/2 hole. Made much more of a difference.

When I get on it it sounds much better. Still no drag pipes or anything, ,but a huge improvement. I can see right down the pipe now and there is nothing behind it. I can just see the holes for the baffles around the pipe. Maybe later this week I'll take a steel rod and slam out the whole thing.

I also adjusted the idle screw to 2 1/4 turns out and my carb backfiring problem has seemed to have disappeared. I can also feel much better accleration. Overall I am much much happier!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally i would leave them at just the 1/2 hole,sounds like you got quite a bit for no real cost.
I was pleased with mine because to be honest i was not to concerned about more power, just wanted a bit more sound. my bike runs spot on too,no backfiring or any other probs,and the plugs were no different to look at compared to the factory pipe setup.
If you want more go the stage 1 route with a purpose designed exhaust,it cant be beat.
Pleased to hear all went well though!
Regards,Dave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.