V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again. So let give BusyBloke and his 2006 FXSTi a big shout out for being selected as the October 2016 V-Twin Forum Ride of the Month.

Congratulations to BusyBloke. If you forward me your address, I'll see if I can arrange for you to receive your prize. But then again, you might want to ask around a little before hand. You might not want the prize. And it might not be legal on that side of the pond.

----------------------------------------------------------------

BusyBloke

Year: 2006
Model: FXSTi
Eng size: 1450
Transmission: 5sp
Pipes: V&H Long Shots (Black
Seat: Custom made Solo
Wheels:Modified front (3.5 rim) / standard rear

The Story:

Simple really - Had a bad time in 2015 - Decided not to get sucked under and combined passions for bike building and Black Sabbath to get me back on track. Enjoyed every frustrating minute in the work shop..had to re-do a few times as things that seem a good idea in your head sometimes aren't...but you've gotta give these things a go.

Made a few schoolboy errors along the way...key learnings were...measure and plan twice and do/buy once. Take your time. Always get the right tools...don't bodge it, you can cost a lot and get some bad regrets...

As with all bike builds..you make new friends, and this was no exception...met some great people who applied their art and skills and others who just gave a hand when a hand was needed.

Currently (today) putting some drop in springs in the front end to lower it and level out the ride.

I always liked the Triumph tanks that had the cut ins and rubber inserts for your knees, so tried to replicate that with the tank and some metal cut-ins that we powder coated mat black and then had some Black Sabbath artwork put on in gloss black...Looks good when you see it but didn't work as well as I hoped...but, like I say...you gotta try new things.

A friend of mine in Glastonbury made the hands on the rear fender brackets from a photo I showed him of Dio's hands and had them cast in Bronze. I was going to powder coat them, but liked how they came out in raw bronze. Will probably get some brass levers on it next year to balance that out.

A lot of the touches are subtle and you won't even see them in these pics...like the Harley crest on the tool roll says Helly Devilson, and the lyrics to War Pigs are tooled around the saddlebag. But it's for me and for riding so I think it looks good for anyone taking the time to come up and have a chat and a look around. Hope you like it.

Summary of work:

Currently dropping front end 2"

Front End
——————
Rebuilt front wheel - new 21/3.5” rim and spokes
Cut down and widen front fender.
Spray job - Fender
leather mud flap with crucifix fixing
Braided brake cable
Stainless bleed nipple
New pads
Powder coated fork bottoms