V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. Took my 02 FLTRI out on the road for the first time yesterday. Only about 40 degrees. The dealer put 10 miles on her for the road test.

Gave it a chance to warm up for a couple of minutes in my driveway due to the cold but after the first mile or so, got a single "engine miss" holding steady speed around 40 mph at 23-2500 rpm. Figured it was due to not being fully warmed up. Operating it with care to stay within the perameters of the first 50 mile break in instructions----keeping it slow, varying speed, staying under 50-55 mph, no more than 25-3000 rpms and no lugging.

Later, clearly after being warmed up I noticed it again this time as I pulled away from stop light. Made a stop or two (15-20 minutes at each stop), then on the way home after about 30 miles for the ride, happened 2-3 more times both at steady speed and during acelleration from a stop.

Again, usually at steady speed around 35-50 mph----a sudden miss, like it didn't get fuel for a second. Then same type of thing upon pulling away from a stop light. This happened maybe 5-6 times over 3 hours and 35 miles or so.

Certainly going to call the dealer Monday morning and intend to ride today to see if it is still doing it. I'm no mechanic but what do you guys think is my problem?

02 Road Glide
EFI
1550 Big Bore kit
Vance and Hines Slashcuts/ Bub Headers
New remap

Thanks

Mike M

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, other than these 5-6 incidents over a couple of hours, the machine rides perfectly. The miss just comes and goes out of the blue. Sound like EFI or mapping, right?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Probably not. The "miss" pulling off idle is typical of the bikes that have no cam sensor, the ECM seems to get confused at low RPM, and doesn't know which cylinder to fire.
After you ride it for a while you will notice it less and less as subconsciously you adapt to it and avoid it.

A miss at steady speed is more unusual, but I know the bike can be confused during rapid transitional throttle inputs, again you adapt without even thinking about it.
By all means have them look at it and make sure the idle speed is not below spec, as this would really do a number on it. The idle spec is 1000 + or - 50, but when they are right the tach typically reads around 1200, so if the tach reads 1000 it might be idling too low.

It's not much off my first impression, but since I hate going to the dealer I just rode it, and it either fixed itself or I got used to it. The engine lite is also very sensitive, and as long as you have no engine lite you should be OK.
It sort of follows a stage bike would do it a little more, but once you start beating the crap out of it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a longer ride yesterday (100 mi) and still had the "miss" problem on occasion. Narrowed it down further though. It happens consistently when running between 2000-2200 rpm. Not all the time though, most often when slowly winding down from 28-3000 rpm. Really is annoying and not sure if it needs to be opened up (after the initial break in), or what.

Hippo, it does seem to occur upon accelleration from stop or at steady speed but shortly after reducing rpm. No engine light.

I think I call the dealer to be sure. Hope you are right.

Thanks

Mike M

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
at steady speed but shortly after reducing rpm.
Well, I'm pretty convinced of my theory off idle but the other issue could conceivably be a very minor mapping glitch that happens when conditions are just right. It may still go away when riding more agressively, hard to say, but I hardly ever let the bike drop that low in the rpm range and hardly ever give it wick at less then 2500. The more you do to the bike, ie big bore and so on the more you would ride it higher in the rpm range, even if it takes using lower gears.
Let us know what they tell you.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In an unrelated matter, and I'm not suggesting you do what I do, after 100 or 200 miles I changed everything over to synthetic lube and at the same time adjusted the primary and clutch pushrod and cable where I like to run them, and it made a enormous difference in the feel of the bike, and even to some extent in the drivability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have hit the nail on the head Hippo. Talked to the dealership's service manager yesterday (he's a good guy). He suggests that I bring it in on Friday. Thinks it may be an EFI mapping issue. Says H-D is coming out with some new maps for the 1550 upgrade. He wants to put it on the dyno and see if he can determine exactly what is happening when the miss occurs at around 2000-2300 rpm. Thinks it might need a different map, possibly. Guess I'm used to higher revving engines (my first a/c v-twin) that perform at 2000-2500 well. Now I have to get used to keeping the rpms above 2500, or at least drop down below that very infrequently.

As far as your other comment, I do intend to switch to sythetics at the first appropriate time. Did you say you switched over at 100-200 miles? Since I will have the machine in the shop, I think I will get it done at that time also (I'm at 175 mi).

Thanks, Hippo

MikeM

·
Registered
224 Posts
HIPPO said:
In an unrelated matter, and I'm not suggesting you do what I do, after 100 or 200 miles I changed everything over to synthetic lube and at the same time adjusted the primary and clutch pushrod and cable where I like to run them, and it made a enormous difference in the feel of the bike, and even to some extent in the drivability.
Hippo, I'am running a White Bros. EZ clutch cause of arthur in the hands to make the pull easier and have my clutch pushrod set at about 1/3 turn out, do you think that this is enough slack for when everything heats up? As you know the EZ clutch reduces the throw and am trying to get it set as close as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Howdy BHB.

Yup, should be enough, in particular if you check it at normal service intervals. With the EZ clutch it's the way to go.

I just like to run different clearances, some sloppy, some tight, because I extend some service intervals quite a bit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hippo, Thanks for the reply. figured I was pretty close but as they always say 2 heads are better than 1. Will check again at next service as the bike is new and will be getter some wear in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts