V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at putting Woods gear drive cams and having some head work done on the Street Glide. According to the dealer in my area, the 06' heads flow much better so I would need very little work done in that area. As for the cams, what would yield good HP and TQ without having to go 95"? I just want a 1:1 ratio for HP/engine size and a little more torque above the HP. Looking for some additional knowledge on this. Thanks in advance.

Joe
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Joe, I heard the same from Dewey, he feels that the 06 heads will give you most of what you get with earlier ported heads. If you can wait a week or two I just finished my 95" build without porting the heads. As soon as I get a couple hundred miles on it I'm going to the dyno for a tune on the PC. I'll post the dyno results when I get it done.

Joe

Where are you in the Bay Area?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
The stock '06 heads do indeed flow better than the '05 earlier. If you had an '05 bike and you put on '06 heads, they would perform better as far as flow is concerned. Essentially a performance head when compared to the '05 earlier. However, when you port the '05 earlier design, it will outperform the '06. When you port the '06, it resembles the '05 that was ported.......I'm getting dizzy...........What I'm saying is; stock for stock, the '06 has a better port design..........When ported, both designs will be equal as the ports are now the same (or very close). Said ported designs will outperform the best stock '06

Cam choice is best determined by riding style. Many of the bolt-ins will perform satisfactory in an 88"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jasilva,

I am still looking at cams at this time and will be wrenching on it late in February. Looking forward to see your dyno numbers.

On another note, I am in the East Bay but I ride with a couple buddies from work in San Jose and in the Central Valley, and sometime just myself and the road. Always looking to jump on different runs here and there, and meet folks who have the same passion of being "in the wind". Thanks for the info. :D

Baggersport,

Your explaination was much better than the dealers. The dealer just told me that the 06' heads and throttle body were much better and that was that.

As for type of riding, the bagger is more for two up, long haul and some commuting to and from work...something that will pull from low to mid and maintain engine longivity. I have a chopper for the other mischevious stuff. Thanks for the info as well. :D

Joe
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
JMN68 said:
I am looking at putting Woods gear drive cams and having some head work done on the Street Glide. According to the dealer in my area, the 06' heads flow much better so I would need very little work done in that area. As for the cams, what would yield good HP and TQ without having to go 95"? I just want a 1:1 ratio for HP/engine size and a little more torque above the HP. Looking for some additional knowledge on this. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Check into the Andrews 21G or 26G gear drive cams. Both are good for low end torque. The 21G comes on earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wkohn said:
Check into the Andrews 21G or 26G gear drive cams. Both are good for low end torque. The 21G comes on earlier.
Wkohn,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am I correct to say that cams will get me on the 1:1 for HP/TQ and displacement or close to it?

Joe

Any addition info will be much appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
158 Posts
Will they fit though?

I have heard from half the Harley techs I have asked, that a set of 06 heads will not boltup to any 05 and earlier. I have the local Harley parts guy calling tech services for me today. One guy from a different forum said that all you need to do is use the 06 intake flanges to install 06 heads on an earlier bike. Just what I have heard.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,285 Posts
turn55 said:
I have heard from half the Harley techs I have asked, that a set of 06 heads will not boltup to any 05 and earlier. I have the local Harley parts guy calling tech services for me today. One guy from a different forum said that all you need to do is use the 06 intake flanges to install 06 heads on an earlier bike. Just what I have heard.
After speaking with you last night, Bean and myself did some comparisons with '06 heads and earlier. It looks like the intake ports are in the same location and just the bolt patern for the intake manifold flanges changed. The port itself is changed but it looks like the earlier manifold will bolt up with the use of the new intake flanges.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
JMN68 said:
Wkohn,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am I correct to say that cams will get me on the 1:1 for HP/TQ and displacement or close to it?

Joe

Any addition info will be much appreciated.
Joe it is possible but you will need a good tuner. Good possibility you will still need to have some port work done.

Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
158 Posts
50/50

springer- said:
After speaking with you last night, Bean and myself did some comparisons with '06 heads and earlier. It looks like the intake ports are in the same location and just the bolt patern for the intake manifold flanges changed. The port itself is changed but it looks like the earlier manifold will bolt up with the use of the new intake flanges.

Thanks for the time and effort. This would make today's input like the last 2 days. You guys say it looks like it can be done, but Harley Tech Services says no way. Thanks again for looking into it. Maybe I'll start to get a warm fuzzy when I get two folks in a row to say it will work.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
turn55 said:
Thanks for the time and effort. This would make today's input like the last 2 days. You guys say it looks like it can be done, but Harley Tech Services says no way. Thanks again for looking into it. Maybe I'll start to get a warm fuzzy when I get two folks in a row to say it will work.
Take a look at this shops www.bishopsperformance.com website under "proof" Then look at the 88" dynos. Keep in mind that none of them are 2006 bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wkohn said:
Joe it is possible but you will need a good tuner. Good possibility you will still need to have some port work done.

Bill
Bill,

I think that is the key, a "good tuner". Once it's done, I will post the numbers. Again thanks.

As more 06' bikes hit the street, I know that more and more mods will be done on these bikes. If there are any new info, please post.

Joe
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Tune/dyno done

I posted my results in the Drag/dyno forum. This was for a 95" build without head porting(06 heads). Not bad numbers but definitely room for improvement. I don't think the head porting is worth the cost for the gain on an 06 myself but thats just my opinion. I could probably pick up enough hp/torque to get into the low 90's if I went with a 2-1 pipe but I don't think that style of pipe would look good on a Deluxe.

Joe
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top