V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new 03 Road King Classic last night and have a problem with the Neutral indicator light.

When I shift into neutral the light only flickers and does not stay lit as it is supposed to?

Called the Dealer who told me not to worry about it as long as the bike shifts alright otherwise?

Says that if it does not correct itself by my 1000 mile service to mention it then and they will try to correct it??

HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

FYI -----SOUNDS AWESOME WITH NEW SAMSON ROLLED THUNDER< K&M FILTER AND REMAP!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They do that a lot, seems to be the switch sticks. Mine did it since new and haven't fixed it yet partly because I don't trust idiot lights that much anyway. If it bothers you have them replace the switch, takes 5 minutes.

If you are new to the bike it is also common to not have neutral fully engaged and yet the bike appears to be in neutral.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Like Hippo said; just be careful with it. Even if the light did stay on, don't trust it entirely. Always ease the clutch out to insure it's really in neutral. That said, I'd insist the dealer fix it at the 1k service; not just "try" to fix it as you indicated they said. When somebody pays $23k for something I'd expect it to work as advertised. Hey, congrats on the new scoot!!!!!

-jeff

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing but I had about 4000 miles on the bike. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it not problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine did it from the first time I took it for a test drive. Flickered up or down and once in a while I could get all green. A little embarrassing to say the least. With 60 miles on it, when I see my dealer next or at 1000, i'm having it changed. It's a pain in the ass. P.S. God I love my Hog
FLHRCI sil/blk 03 James

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I wouldn't want to have to put the first 1000 miles on a brand new bike without a nuetral light, and I don't think you should have to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2002 FLHT started the intermittent neutral light routine after about 1000 miles and I worked with the connectors and tried loosening and repositioning the switch and nothing worked for long. Finally dropped by the dealer and they did the same things with the same results. So the next drop-by they swapped out the switch and I have had a solid green for the last 500 miles. They said a lot of the switches were made too sensitive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I say take it back...it's under warranty! You could wait till the 1K, but make an appointment and have it taken care of - you paid for a working bike!!. I had an issue with a seal on my tranny leaking on my 02 FLHRI - Called in the AM, had it back that night.....

T-Bone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts