V-Twin Forum banner

NTSB Today recommends National Helmet law

9K views 175 replies 50 participants last post by  Bot 
#1 ·
I just heard it on the evening news - The NTSB today unanimously recommended that all states pass mandatory motorcycle helmet laws.

I wear a helmet (usually) but don't want big brother telling me I have to!

I think the way to fight this is to demand that all people must wear helmets; walkers, joggers, ATV'ers, Bicyclists, roller skaters, etc. The more people we include in this the more people we will have fighting for our cause.

Just my -2$en#e-

DJ

#4 ·
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent organization responsible for investigation of accidents involving aviation, highway, marine, pipelines and railroads in the United States. It is charged by the U.S. Congress to investigate every civil aviation accident in the United States, as well as significant accidents in other modes of transportation (such as the Big Bayou Canot train disaster near Mobile, Alabama). The organization is also in charge of investigating cases of hazardous waste releases that occur from modes of transportation.

So how do helmet laws fit into the NTSB? I think they best MTOB.

RT

#6 ·
I'm good for about 1 hour a year without a helmet.

I'm in NY, and we have a law. But every year when I go to something in OH or PA in the spring, I'll take off my helmet. About 30 minutes without a helmet I start driving slowly. At 45 minutes, I start getting visions of what my skull is going to look like cracked open. Come 60 minutes I usually stop and put my helmet back on.

A national law would definitely cure me of my yearly hour of foolishness. :)

#7 ·
I pretty much wear a helmet all the time, at least for the last 6 years any way. Prior to that I didn't even own a helmet for 20+ years of riding. I don't want to see a law requiring them. However I bet the poor selection of helmets would improve if they were required. This IMHO is the only good thing that would come from requiring them.
Lex

#8 ·
Mixed feelings ...

I have always worn a helmet when I ride just as I have always worn boots. After 30+ plus years without actually getting the "full use" of my helmet it finally earned its keep by taking the impact of the pavement and sparing my head the injury that would have certainly resulted from my "run in" with a cage. As it was I was able to make the decision to not ride in the ambulance to the hospital.

In a way I wish everyone would wear a helmet when riding but at the same time I don't think it should be mandated by the government. Safety should be a choice not a requirement. If we are not allowed to choose there is no real reason to put a lot of effort into thinking because the decision has been made for us.

-2$en#e-

#9 ·
Originally posted by HDS883C
In a way I wish everyone would wear a helmet when riding but at the same time I don't think it should be mandated by the government. Safety should be a choice not a requirement. If we are not allowed to choose there is no real reason to put a lot of effort into thinking because the decision has been made for us.
I agree. I wear one almost every time I ride. Exceptions include riding kitty corner across the street to the local convenience store to check my tire pressure. I hope my obituary doesn't mention that.

#10 ·
Actually, I would support the law. I realize and understand (I think) the arguments about persopnal freedom, big brother, yadayadayada.

However, I also see the negatives of not wearing one, and have my own opinions about some of the arguments. A country with as many people as we have has lots of laws restricting our actions.

Some don't think we need any such laws, some think we need more. Helmet laws, to me, are somewhere in the middle.

Certainly not trying to convince anyone to change their mind, just my opinion.

#11 ·
R T said:
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent organization responsible for investigation of accidents involving aviation, highway, marine, pipelines and railroads in the United States. It is charged by the U.S. Congress to investigate every civil aviation accident in the United States, as well as significant accidents in other modes of transportation (such as the Big Bayou Canot train disaster near Mobile, Alabama). The organization is also in charge of investigating cases of hazardous waste releases that occur from modes of transportation.

RT
Methinks you are correct, that the helmet is a little outside the NTSB's scope.

djdemarce- which evening news, and what day did you see the report? Perhaps we could look it up? Maybe someone with more ambition than I could look up the NTSB, surely, that site would have that report.

#12 ·
Well I have emailed my Congressman and Senator about this.

Also, wearing a helmet will not and can not lower the amount of accidents, only lessen the results of head injuries. There is no evidence at all saying that helmets can and will lower the accident rate. If the NTSB wants to get involved, make it mandetory that all car drivers take classes like they make bikers do for safety. That way everyone is somewhat on the same playing field.
I wear one at times, other times I do not, Texas is great like that, they give US the choice, not the government ! So if you want those rights, be it regardless if you wear one or not, write your politicians, tell them you do not want one, and if they vote for it, they will lose yours come the election...It's the only thing left we have a say in the matter..And do it while the news is still current !!

Ride safe !

#13 ·
I don't support the idea of losing freedom of choice.

But if this mandate occurs (and it's probably just a matter of time til it does since the political trend seems to be going towards freedom-limiting Democrats) I will comply in order to avoid a ticket.

Same reason I buckle-up in my cars more than I used to.

I rarely wear a helmet despite the fact that I make my kids wear helmets and protective gear.

This is dumb on my part and I need to start CHOOSING to be a better example.

#14 ·
R T said:

RT
http://www.ntsb.gov/Abt_NTSB/history.htm

Read it.
"selected highway accidents"
"conducts special studies of transportation safety issues of national significance"
16.5% of all their recommendations since 1967 have been for highway/roadway issues.

I'd say that's how they fit in. It is their own business. We may not like it, but those are the facts.

#15 ·
I am pro-helmet, but also I am pro-choice. I feel naked without a helmet, and also wear a full face if I know i'm going to be on the superslabs for extended riding. I also don't feel the government should mandate a nationwide helmet law. This is paralleling the imfamous "seatbelt" war also.....I am very curious to see where this debate goes.....

#16 ·
I'm thinking djdemarce got the wrong agency or the person reporting the news got it all wrong (most likely). I did hear a couple weeks ago that the NHTSA had been doing some review of various States helmet laws and were going to be making recommendations.

As everybody has indicated the NTSB would have NOTHING to do with motorcycle helmet laws unless they require their agents to wear one. LoL!!!

o~\o

#18 ·
Texan said:
I'm thinking djdemarce got the wrong agency or the person reporting the news got it all wrong (most likely). I did hear a couple weeks ago that the NHTSA had been doing some review of various States helmet laws and were going to be making recommendations.

As everybody has indicated the NTSB would have NOTHING to do with motorcycle helmet laws unless they require their agents to wear one. LoL!!!

o~\o

http://www.ntsb.gov/alerts/SA_012.pdf

Sorry, but the $hithouse lawyers who believe the NTSB has nothing to do with highways and roadways are just plain wrong.

#20 ·
winpitt said:
http://www.ntsb.gov/alerts/SA_012.pdf

Sorry, but the $hithouse lawyers who believe the NTSB has nothing to do with highways and roadways are just plain wrong.
Here we go again. A simple, "I think you are incorrect, and here is a link to support my statement" would have sufficed. Must you resort to calling someone names so early in this FREAKING OLD NEWS thread?

#21 ·
NTSB was formed to INVESTIGATE accidents. They have no authority concerning helmet laws and I fail to see how they are qualified to have an opinion. Since its inception in 1967, the NTSB has investigated more than 124,000 aviation accidents and over 10,000 surface transportation accidents. Looking at those numbers I question how qualified they are regarding motorcycle accidents. Let's hypothesize and say 1 out each 10 surface accidents they investigated involved a MC so they have investigated 1000 MC accidents in 40 years. So how qualified are they?

Gradually over the past 30-40 years helmet laws have relaxed and this is due to the fact helmet laws are unconstitutional.

RT

#22 ·
Bot said:
Here we go again. A simple, "I think you are incorrect, and here is a link to support my statement" would have sufficed. Must you resort to calling someone names so early in this FREAKING OLD NEWS thread?
Sorry, but it just gets frustrating to see people say the same tired old incorrect thing over and over without even trying to learn about the issue. No insult intended, just frustration.

That being said, the NTSB recommendation is dated September 2007 - right now. I fail to see that being "FREAKING OLD NEWS".

The point is that people don't like the message, so they tend to make $hit up to support their position.

Apologies.

#24 ·
R T said:
NTSB was formed to INVESTIGATE accidents. They have no authority concerning helmet laws and I fail to see how they are qualified to have an opinion. Since its inception in 1967, the NTSB has investigated more than 124,000 aviation accidents and over 10,000 surface transportation accidents. Looking at those numbers I question how qualified they are regarding motorcycle accidents. Let's hypothesize and say 1 out each 10 surface accidents they investigated involved a MC so they have investigated 1000 MC accidents in 40 years. So how qualified are they?

Gradually over the past 30-40 years helmet laws have relaxed and this is due to the fact helmet laws are unconstitutional.

RT
1) Helmet laws are not unconstitutional. That premise has been thrown out by every court. Laws have been relaxed for political reasons - absolutely not constitutional reasons.

2) Fully 16.5% of ALL investigations/recommendations from the NTSB since it was formed were for HIGHWAY/ROADWAY issues. You can question all you want, but frankly that percentage is quite high and taking the position that they are not "qualified" is a dramatic leap of questionable logic.

3) Investigation of "accidents" is completely different than "research". Part of their charter includes (quote) "conducts special studies of transportation safety issues of national significance". That is in addition to those specific investigations of singular accidents.

Please read what the NTSB was "formed" for. Use the link that was posted. It was for far more than you claim. They are most certainly at least as qualified as anyone else, and far more qualified than you or I.

#25 ·
R T said:
The report from NTSB is here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2007/091107b.htm

That report is extremely weak. They state the increase in fatalities but fail to state the increase in the number of riders. Then it would be interesting to see what percent of the fatalities were wearing a helmet.

Will they make it law that we must wear leather at all times next year?

RT
Take a look at FARS. The same type of data is provided, but using "miles ridden", which clearly shows that fatalities and head injuries have increased in relation to miles ridden - eliminating the claim that the increase is just due to more riders being out there. It also shows helmet vs non-helmet fatalities. It doesn't show non-fatal injuries.

The report is a finding - not the comprehensive data. As it is intended it is actually pretty sound. It would definitely be very interesting to see the supporting data.

Not supporting or opposing the recommendation myself. Just trying to be unbiased.

#26 ·
R T said:
The report from NTSB is here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2007/091107b.htm

That report is extremely weak. They state the increase in fatalities but fail to state the increase in the number of riders. Then it would be interesting to see what percent of the fatalities were wearing a helmet.

Will they make it law that we must wear leather at all times next year?

RT
Yeah, that was stated in the news report. Their study is based on the alarming increase in motorcycle accidents and fatalities in the last decade without mentioning the corresponding increase in the numbers of bikes on the road. They are a typical government agency; only telling us half truths - whatever it takes to get their agenda promoted.

DJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.