V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went to the local HD dealership and picked out a brand new XL1200C. Still waiting for delivery. Bought it on a bit of a whim, no research, just picked it out. I think a bike is a thing you buy based on what your heart tells you, not your brain. I've wanted a Sportster since I was 16. (50 now). Settled for a Honda Shadow about 5 years ago. It wasn't what I wanted, but what I could afford. (Quick life lesson:always buy what you want, not what you can afford because you'll end up buying twice). Anyway, since the purchase I've been lurking around here, reading lots of posts. Now you've got me worried. Many stories about oil leaks, broken parts, LOTS of maintainence. No offense to Japanese bike lovers, riding a Honda is like kissing through a screen door, but man, are they trouble free. I don't mind loking after the bike, (in fact, it will be enjoyable) but I have a growing fear I'll be spending alot of time at the dealership fighting about warranty coverage, etc. Be straight with me, should I be worried???

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You bought a great bike, enjoy the ride. Harleys are great bikes and the quality is second to none.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
dmayack said:
Now you've got me worried. Many stories about oil leaks, broken parts, LOTS of maintainence.
Motorcycles do require more maintenance that cars but it is nothing that you can't handle.

First, get the factory manuals for your bike. You can find the PNs here:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68022

You want the factory service manual, the parts book, and electrical diagnostics manual. Order from a 20% off dealer like Benjy's in WVa. There are many others, just ask.

If you want a step by step visual guide to all of the steps in a 10K service, then order the Sportster DVD from fixmyhog.com (a VTF sponsor).

Enjoy your new sled. ;)

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
Harley's are great bikes, I don't know what you've been reading but they are very dependable nowadays.~!Awesome!

Oh, and this is coming from someone who enjoys kissing threw a screen door!:huh:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put 35,000 miles on my 1995 Sportster 1200. It's a great bike. BUT I suggest that you get good towing insurance. Also have at least yearly maintenance done by a good shop. I had one breakdwon on the road that required a flatbed ride to the dealer. It's just a part of the "ride". Enjoy it and carry a cell phone. :D (I've also spent "road time" in the dealer's shop with my SuperGlide.)

Tom :cool:

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
dmayack,how's things in oriskany?the a-4 skyhawk didn't fall off the stick did it ?I live in nymills.anyway to answer your question no.The modern h-d bike is as good if not better than the metrics nowadays.I just traded my beloved '99 sportster for an RK and what little I had to do maintence wise I enjoyed.It's easy on a sporty,not as easy on the rk with all the **** on it.A sportster is an enthusiast bike.Buy a manual and do what you can and take it over to utica h-d and tell them to do the rest.[gotta watch it while it's still under warranty].congrats on the the ride,welcome to the forum ,and ride with confedence ,you made a great choice .

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Like Josh said. Harley's are reliable. They aren't what you use to red about back a few decades ago. Ride safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been riding HD sportsters since 1969. I've always found them to be very reliable. I have a 1972 XLCH (original owner) and a 05/1200C. The 05 you just safety check and ride. The 72, you maintain - on a schedule and ride. 30 years ago we always had a truck follow a ride to pickup the breakdowns. Dealers were few and far between and most breakdowns were the result of poor or no maintenance or bad wrenching. You have a 2 year warranty. Just watch the forum for any issues and have the dealer fix them under warranty. Oh, and buy a good torque wrench.

SEMJPM

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Take into consideration for a moment that the silent majority doesn't post on the net all the time about the trouble they haven't had ;)
Those few that have had trouble for whatever reason make a lot more noise than those that have ridden trouble free :corn:
Check in at some of the brand X forums and you'll find they have their share of troubles as well :whisper: ;)

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
I have a newer Sporty...

It has been ride and scheduled maintenance... THATS IT...

I have it right now torn down for adding extras.. otherwise I would be riding

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Welcome and enjoy. not sure what you've been reading but oyu have a very dependable bike, quick too. the new 1200 can get up and go, maybe not as quick as some of the ones that burn rice but plenty of speed.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Great advice and words of encouragement. Thanks to all of you. Now I just need the dealer to finish putting it together (it was still in the crate when I bought it) and wait for this upstate NY weather to cooperate. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an '04 custom sportster and have not had the first problem. Do or get the maintenance done and enjoy...I have so far had the maintenance done but will need to change brake pads and do the 15,000 service pretty soon...I plan on doing that myself. We shall see... I have always done my own car wrenching, just never had to do any wrenching on my Honda's...we shall see how it goes...anyway, good luck with the new bike!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Overall, my 98 Sporty has been trouble free. The only issue I've had is a rocker box leak at about 6000 miles. Replaced the gaskets with a James gasket kit and have had no mechanical problems since. That's been 2 years and almost 20,000 miles ago. Enjoy the Sporty and keep up with the scheduled maintenance and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agree / great bike

First HD after years - and some time away from riding too - metrics actually all Kawasakis 750's to 1000's

'06 1200C; light nimble, quick bike, with adequate range and comfort. Just all around fun. Easy to do oil changes / primary chain adjust, etc. No stinkin radiator !!

In comparison, I might ad that a friend of mine recently "upgraded" to a Dyna Supergilde, trading his '04 1200C We road last weekend and swapped bikes.
Don;'t get me wrong,....the Superglide is nice, (and fuel injected also) but, it doesn't ride all that much better or smoother,.....and questionably worth 5,000 more..... and here's the kicker, definitely seems slower in the get up and go dept. Then, he rode MY 1200C, he also realized this,...fact is, it seems I can smoke his doors off easily. My bike is stock, except for "drilled out" baffles (drilled out with a hole saw at the weld joint..the entire baffle is out) on the stock pipes. The Superglide does corner very nicely however. For casual, shorter, fun riding, with snappy acceleration, I'm not sure you can beat the Sportster.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
If we all posted every time we didn't have a problem the internet would seize up. Sure, there are problems from time to time but that is what this site is all about.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I've had my '06 XL1200c since October and I already put 1,600 miles on it. Only problem I had was the speed sensor died on me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts