·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about an advice given about swapping out
some bolst or nuts
on the twinky while it was down for service or rebuild,
don't remember if it was torx to allen or the opposite around,
or which one's or where they where located , hmmmm....

Anyone recollect that advise given here on the forum ???

zeb (amnesia incorporated):dunno:

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
You definitely don't want to add any TORX bolts...to anything....ever.

Lots of guys swap out the TORX to Allen heads as they come aross them, and some just get so pi$$ed that they buy total replacement sets and get rid of all of them at once.

Do a search on the forum for "Torx bolt" and you'll run across lots of threads and some links to places to buy replacements on the web. Although, a trip to the hardware store might be easier and quicker.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Gardner-Westcoat makes a nice chrome allen replacement set for the twinkie. Of course you could go "big time" and replace them all with Stainless Steel. Whoo, the price staggers the immagination!!!!!

·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snaps said:
You definitely don't want to add any TORX bolts...to anything....ever. .........
Thanks!

I agree, they are a pita at times
The advice I can't find... was about some particular bolts
for easier access ... well I'll probably find it in due time,
if I'll start cursing when wrenching (more than usually I mean) I have found 'em I guess ....:D

Geezer, thanks for the tip,
chrome ones will do the trick.

Cheers guys
zeb

·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS a lot gent's !
Much appreciated :cheers:

Both companies seems to have great stuff. :wootdnc:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
The only problem with a torx is not matching the proper size wrench to the bolt. I have a complete toolbox and have never had a problem.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
And the problem with chrome allen bolts is the inside of the head will rust. If the bolts are removed for maintanance, it tends to crack the chrome in the head. This leads to rust over time, at least it has on my bike. They looked great 5 years ago, but now any one I have touched with a wrench has rust in the head. Just an FYI.
Note, I ride it not clean it, so with extra cleaning care, this might be able to be avoided, I just never take the time to clean and wax the inside of all my chrome allen heads.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
vt-zeb said:
The advice I can't find... was about some particular bolts
for easier access ...
You are probably referring to the clutch and inspection cover bolts. I've read a lot of guy end up stripping the heads after a few maintenances.

I probably should up replaced mine with allen heads, the guy before me did a number on the original torx. I ended up buying replacement chrome torx, I haven't had any problems with them. Just make sure you use the right size - mine are T27.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The answer is .......

Could it be that you're thinking of replacing the philips head screws on the CV carb bowl with socket (allen) head ?? Makes on-bike jet changes easier.

I hope that's it - been thinking about this for the last couple of days!!!! Now I can get some sleep.

·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all advice given
THIS IS A GREAT PLACE !

I have a feeling that if I get more advice on this matter,
it will be too expensive :crying:
( WHO AM I KIDDING :roflback: it's for my bike, and not some jewellery for the old lady )

zeb :whistle:

PS - eod blaster - sorry for keeping you awake, much appreciated though,
sweet dreams buddy !

·
Legend in my own mind
157 Posts
csoday said:
The only problem with a torx is not matching the proper size wrench to the bolt. I have a complete toolbox and have never had a problem.
I was reading this thread and thinking just that Chuck. I just rescued a local rider that used a 40 instead of a 45 on her triple-tree. Having the right tools makes all the difference.

Another point is if you need to lean on it, ise an impact driver of some sort. When you start putting your weight behind a socket wrench the chances of you keeping the bit perpendicular to the head is greatly diminished. Get off-plumb and you will strip out Torx or Allen.

The Torx is a superior fastener in most ways (despite what it was designed for). It has a lot more surface area to use for apllying force to the screw.

I'll second the allen screws in the float bowl though. Good advice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing bolts you might as well up the slutty factora couple of notches and go with 12 point stainless steel fasteners from diamond engineering not only will they not rust with use but they look soooooooooooooooooo good ( just has hot rod written all over it )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts