V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been participating in this forum for month or two now, and now that I have picked up and ridden my bike I thought I would share my story.

I am 25 and have been riding motorcycles since I was 10. Like many of you I started out on dirtbikes and an old Honda 50. When i was 16 I bought a Katana 600 crotch rocket, this lasted about 1 year, then I sold it and bought a Suzuki GSXR 750. I rode the GSXR for about 2 years then sold it and bought a DUcati 996, and 6 mos later also bought a Honda Magna. The Ducati was a great bike, super light like the GSXR and quite fast, but IMHO overpriced for my area, what I mean by that is the roads in michigan couldn't do the Duc justice so I never got to experience the real thrills of it. I moved to Tucson Arizona for 6 mos about 6 mos after I bought the Honda and decided to sell the Ducati to finance the move. I loved riding the Honda in AZ, first time I ever rode without a helmet (gotta love AZ no helmet law for a motorcycle but if you are on a Bicycle you have to wear a helmet). I moved back to michigan and once again was welcomed to our wonderful roads (the reason michigan has a helmet law I firmly believe is because our road conditions are terrible). Anyways I always wanted a Harley But it was always the case of cant afford one or couldnt decide what I wanted. Flash forward to this summer, Decided I was getting a new bike this year, and had yet to see the Vrod, so I had decided I would probably end up with either a BigDog or I'd order a west coast chopper as I wanted something a little different and I wanted one in time for the riding season so I thought Harley was out, until I saw the Vrod that is. I fell in love with this bike immediately, finally a harley that screamed my name. I decided right then this was the bike for me and started talking to dealers. Finally found one that would sell at msrp and ordered the bike and decided it would be worth the wait. Wasnt supposed to get the bike until January of 2003 But i guess the 2 gues on the list ahead of me backed out on the bikes because the dealer called me 10 days ago and said it was in. I went up ordered my accessories and found out 2 days ago a few items were on backorder. I decided not to wait for them to come in and to pick up the bike now and bring it back to have the pipes and braided hose installed in September when they arrived, figured by then Ill be due for the 1000 mile checkup anyway.

Heres my review of the 2003 Silver and Black Vrod.
This bike is a dream, it handles fantastic very evenly weighted, far more so then my top heavy honda magna was, and very nimble not as much as the ducati but by far the most nimble cruiser style bike I have ever ridden. This baby does suck up the gas but again I am used to that as well (im just glad it has a fuel gage unlike my honda where i had to guess if i forgot to reset the trip odometer). The power is amazing, not as much as a crotch rocket, but then i didnt expect that, i guess the best way to describe it is deceiving, it tells you to hold on tight cause we are set for take off. The bike has a nice smooth power band, constently gaining and begging for more. I really cant wait till I am out of the breakin period, (should be by today if the weather holds) So I can really open her up and see what she can do. Yes I am the guy who wants to see just how fast it will go and I test it with every bike (except the Ducati and the GSXR, i got those up to 160 and had to back off it was getting a little scary).

Final thoughts, I am glad I seen the Vrod and decided on it, I couldnt be happier with the bike, and can honestly say for me anyway Harley made a real winner and I am sold on the model for as long as they make em.

·
Registered
544 Posts
WooHoo another V-Rod, HA-HA got love it, I am having a blast on mine. Wife and I went out to dinner on it last night, finally got my parents talked into watching the kids. Since either one of the kids wants to ride I haven't ridden with the wife that much, it was a blast. I stopped for gas and some guys who saw me pull in, pulled up next to us and talked to us the entire time I was putting gas in it. He said it was the best look Harley he'd ever seen. He said his father was into Harley's and never had one that look like the V-Rod. I just smiled and thanked him.

You are correct about the V-Rod it's sneaky fast, but the more throttle you give it the more it seems to want. I read somewhere that it is reported to have a progressive throttle, and was designed to be that way so it's easier to ride. The only complaint I have is that in crosswinds the front end get a little twitchy, but it doesn't seem to be as noticeable as it used to be, so maybe I am getting used to it.

I know I got a few accessories and some of mine were back ordered but all mine came in before the bike did.

Enjoy welcome and ride safe,

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Hey 4nic8,

Got a digital camera? Post some of them pics in your picture gallery. Would love to see what you have done with it! Thanks for your story.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,4nic8!

Congrats on the V-rod,enjoy!

Thanks for the great intro,I think you'll like it here.

Post often.
guido

·
Registered
695 Posts
4nic8,
Glad to hear you're so happy with your new bike. You and I started riding bikes about the same time, I also started out on dirt. My favorite bikes in the past were very fast. I've always loved speed.
Now I'm in the cruising mode. Waiting on my first Harley -- a wide glide. I do have a bike parked in my garage that is waiting for the day when you finish breaking in your V-rod -- you wana race? HA!
Good luck and ride safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts