V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God am I sick of the crap service lately!!!!!!!!!!....................no wonder I am getting an attitude problem!!!

I purchased BDL Hand controls WITH SWITCHES through those wankers at Wally`s Cycle World...........

What was not shown on the add for these hand controls is that you have to pay from 295 up to 400 plus for the electrical relays and wiring so you can run the switches................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I sent an email to BDL asking about the following:

I have just purchased your hand controls and 3 switch setup……….these are not installed yet as my bike is still at the dealers.

Due to the switches being a plunger type and not an on/off type, I have several questions for you:

How do I operate the on/off button for the engine?

How do the turn indicators work?

Will the indicators self cancel or do I press and hold the button until I am around the corner?

How will I be able to operate the hi/lo headlight beam button now?

Thanks in advance

Here was the first response

Our controls have been selling since before the "build your own bike" craze begun. We sell to distributors who sell to dealers. We sell our hand and foot controls as a "custom" item. We used the old style 70's-80's push button application because they lended to the compact design we wanted to achieve. Notice I used the word "custom"? In custom bike building, you either need to know what you are doing, or have access to someone who knows what they are doing. Wire Plus makes the particular items I mentioned in my previous email, just for our controls. They are also experts on electrical, which we are not ... ESPECIALLY on custom applications.

People that purchased our controls, back when they were first available, had a clearer knowledge of older style Harley-Davidson application, old and new. Now with "build your own bike" kits, the novice needs to learn these things. I thought I was doing you a favor, by send you to a company I think would have the best information related to what you wanted to know.

You will need to run relays with our momentary switches. Our controls do not have accomdations for break lights. Wiring harnesses are not included with our controls. These are for custom application and I cannot legally advise you on installing anything electrical. That is why I reffered you to Wire Plus.

At this point, the only thing I can advise you to do, is to have your controls wired by an experienced electrition. Your question are very basic and I feel that you will need expert help in making sure your motorcycle is safely wired.

Thank you for using our products.

I was not happy to be refered elsewhere with my "basic" questions that BDL could not answer!! So with that I sent an email to WIREPLUS:

Hello,
I recently sent this email to BDL and they have referred me to yourselves………………..I don’t want wires or anything………..just advice on how THEIR switches work as these are plunger types and not on/off switches.

Not good service for a company to send you elsewhere to get advice on THEIR products…………………….guess you guys will teach me and I will teach everyone else on the V-Twin Forum how to do this.

Many thanks for your time.

Now this bunch did not bother to reply but sent my email over to BDL........I also sent a response to BDL on their first email:

Well thanks for the reply BDL but if you look at my signature it will show that I live in the Middle East, so finding “expert” help here is non existent.

Wire Plus did not reply to my questions.

Why couldn’t you have included a wiring diagram in your kit along with advice on what additional equipment and parts are required to install your controls…………..I feel left in the lurch over this and face additional delays in riding my bike based on buying your controls.

If I had have had the abovementioned information at the time of purchasing your controls I could have ordered these at the same time………………….this adds to the already expensive shipping and again while not trying to fight with you over this….as a customer I will go to additional and unnecessary expense and more time lost waiting for these items to arrive….something you guys might consider on International orders.

Finally BDL came back with their next response:

With every email we trade, I have forwarded a copy to Wire Plus. Additionally, he has done the same with emails you and he have traded, he has forward copies to me. Isn't the internet great?! A custom application is a custom application, the research for products is soley on your shoulders. I'm sorry that you are not satisfied.

YES BDL THE INTERNET IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............30,000 PLUS MEMBERS HERE WITH GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW MANY OTHERS LOOKING IN CAN SEE HOW YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

Again you can all make up your own mind.........me just more bad taste...............and really making me wonder as to why bother customizing the bike any further.

Ozzie.....................

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Oz,

Well my friend, you sure as hell aren't catching any breaks. Hopefully, some custom builder types will weigh in here with insights for you. Perhaps someone can sketch you a diagram you can use.

Personally, I don't have time to screw with things like this and so, stick mainly to OEM stuff or things I am totally certain will fit and function with OEM quality. Long ago, I worked in a bike shop and saw too much aftermarket stuff that didn't measure up, needed "fitting" or was just nfg.

Given this is 2005, I'm surprised you've had the issues you're having with one major manufacturer - PM; and now BDL; but mostly with mostly Wally's - a major retail distributor.

I hope your luck changes soon. I also hope you'll post pics of this machine when you get it all done - I'm sure it will be worth these temporary setbacks!

GC

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Ozzie, sorry to hear about these experiences. I feel your frustration - I'd be incensed. In both of your cases (the wheels and the hand controls), it seems that you experienced flawed advertising and customer service that was indifferent and condescending.

You are doing others a HUGE favor, however, by sharing these experiences. We all see interesting stuff advertised out there (in the back pages of AI, etc), but we have no idea what a lot of these companies are like to deal with. The best way we can find out is to hear what others have experienced - good and bad.

Best of luck getting back on the road ASAP!

John

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
That's IT!!!
I'm not opening any more threads of yours, Ozzie.
If I keep having to cross vendors and manufacturers off of my short list because of your experiences as well as my own, I won't be able to buy anything from anybody anymore... :(

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.............I really did want to let this one go but I came into work this morning and found that the creep at BDL decided to go at me once more so that was it for me........

The Arlen Ness/Custom Chrome e-box will sort out all my issues and I am expecting it to come with instructions as I dont believe Arlen Ness would put something out without this he is just too good a man for that.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
crappy luck

All I can say is QUIT using intermediary "discount" dealers (whenever possible, as some companies ONLY sell wholesale) and go direct from the source...and research the end product application & usage more thoroughly. If a problem exists for whatever reason in the supply line...it limits the product manufacturers responsibility. It'd be like having a problem with your softail and delivering it back to H-D on Juneau Ave and expecting the line tech who originally built your bike to fix it. Damn, Ozzie...if you have any luck at all, It's bad. Sorry to hear about further troubles. Hope this goes better than previous purchases.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Ozzie,

I'm sorry you are having a rough time with BDL but there is a way to use your switches to perform the functions you want. Keep in mind that most custom bikes that BDL are talking about that use their switches use the solenoid on the starter directly to engage power to it and don't run a kill switch other than the key. So I will try to answer you questions the best I can and I'm sorry you're having crappy luck with this...

How do I operate the on/off button for the engine?
For this you will need a remote relay that can route the power wire once it gets an input from the switch and then cut the power next time it receives power. It's called a latching relay and any radio shack or even a decent Harley dealer should be able to help you with this.

How do the turn indicators work?
The turn signal indicators work as before. A pick off from the hot wire going to the signal is routed to the indicators after the TSSM and will iluminate them. Or you yourself will have to route a wire to the indicators after you change the flasher relay which you may have to since the next question is going to help answer this...

Will the indicators self cancel or do I press and hold the button until I am around the corner?
You will have to hold the button til you are around the corner. As BDL stated these are old style switches to keep size down. This is the way anyone who rides a Shovel or earlier has to deal with turn signals also, on my Sturgis I have to hold the button but it's a simple setup: a switch, a flasher, wires to the indicator and wires to the signals, the end. That might be the setup you want to try on your bike...

How will I be able to operate the hi/lo headlight beam button now?
Same as the first question, a latching relay will fix you right up.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for and if not let me know and I'll answer the questions more and to the best of my ability. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again this forum goes to show the truly international brotherhood of bikers..............thanks for your help guys it is really appreciated.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
246 Posts
sr1032 said:
Ozzie,

...You will have to hold the button til you are around the corner...
You sure about that? The turn buttons on newer bikes are momentary contact, too; the difference is in the TSM, which once triggered for a turn by a momentary closure, takes over. I'm thinking the turn signals should work as before (but then, it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Older bikes don't have a turn-signal-module (TSM), which is why you have to hold the switch down. Like SamC said, you don't need to if you have a TSM installed.

1bdBagr: Not only Wally's skim on the details of the products they sell, most retailers, like Custom Chrome, do too. We should bashed them all, but who are we gonna buy from then :(

Ozzie: Did they tell you these controls don't have a brake light switch? ****, guess I missed that little custom application feature :blink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts