V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wanting to own and ride a motorcycle for a long time, I took a motorcycle training class in June, got a licencse in August, and got the V-Rod (2003 Silver and Black) in October. I had been on a waiting list for about a year, I was on the waiting list before I even took the training. Did it on impulse after seeing it in a popular mechanics article and checking it out on the HD website.

I know that this probably was not the smartest thing to do but I did it anyway. The V-Rod is the only motorcycle that I have ever been on (not including the 250cc clunker that they supplied at the training). I am truly enjoying the experience and since I am still breaking in the bike (only 300 miles on it) I haven't really gone that fast on it. I have become quite comfortable riding it but I fear that as soon as I hit 500 I'm gonna be tempted to go 140. :D

So I just wanted a little advice on the best way for taking care of the bike, such as how often should I clean it, what is the best way of cleaning it, and should I get a motorcycle cover for it? And does getting a windshield really help? And how useful are those engine gaurds? Personally I didn't like how the windshield and engine gaurds looked on the bike. The only accessories that I added to the bike was the braided coolant line and a sissy bar.

The bike definitely shines when in sunlight. And it definitely gets a lot of attention. Even from cops... I was at a stoplight and a cop had pulled in next to me, he quickly flashed his sirens just to get my attention. He said he didn't really like Harleys but he had to admit that the one I was on was sweet. And honestly if it wasn't for the V-Rod I doubt that I would be riding a Harley right now. VROOOOOOOOOOM!

Live Fast...Die Young!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've had my silver/black 2003 since early August and love it. Since I do most of my own tinkering I opted for the chrome radiator hose cover instead of the braided line. The braided line requires draining the radiator to install and is exspensive if you have the dealer do it. The chrome cover installs easilly and looks great. I'm considering a sport style winshield and will wait and see what Cop-per comes out with this winter. Also, SE II 16gauge double barrels made a nice addition, especially since I like the louder sound. Also lots of chrome goodies.
See pic under post on new light designs.

Pete

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pic Pass22. I plan to start tinkering on mine as soon as I go get some tools. Once you get the windshield installed let me know if you like it or not. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the H/D Forum, Vroom. Several members live in California.

A thought: having multiple questions in one post makes it difficult to get a "clean" and clear response.

I'll take the windshield question. IMHO, if you are going to ride long distances, windshields are a wonderful addition. Do they look good on a sportie bike like a V-Rod? That's your call. She's your bike. If you do plan to really ride that bike, you may at a minimum conisider a detachable/removable windshield. If you're going to bar hop and ride around town, a windshield is not necessary.

Try our "search" function re: bike cleaning products.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Vroom...

The Vrod is an easy bike to keep clean, no waxing required. The wheels will require the most attention. But after 6000 miles, they still look good.

If you are keeping it inside, a cover is not required.

I have the HD sport windshield, it keeps the wind off of my chest, which is a big help on a long ride. It is easy to take off.

Break it in like the book says, and you will have one dependable, fast ride. You will also learn the bikes capabilities during this period.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I"ll take the engine guard question:

Although I haven't purchased it "yet", you can answer the question yourself this way: What are the odds that at some point this bike may get knocked over, dropped or otherwise end up on it's side. If the answer is anything but "no way" then the cost of the guard will pay for itself the very first time it goes over. I say that I haven't bought them myself, but I have been riding for a very very long time and only dumped my street bike twice. Once my own fault. My son also dumped mine once, slipped on some leaves. All I can tell you is that regardless of how they look they are an inexpensive insurance policy. I have a list of accessories ahead of the guard, but i will likely buy and aftermarket one at some point.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome! I've had my silver and black for about 2 months (actually, I think I may own two of them now!) and I've been lovin' it more and more with every ride! I definitely plan on getting the touring windshield for those longer rides. It seems to be easily detachable. I'm also probably get the engine guards, but I'm not as sure about that one yet! They just look so damn wide!

You may want to put a few more miles on the bike and then figure out what accessories really work for your wants and needs. Whatever you decide... enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
VROOM said:

So I just wanted a little advice on the best way for taking care of the bike, such as how often should I clean it, what is the best way of cleaning it, and should I get a motorcycle cover for it? And does getting a windshield really help? And how useful are those engine gaurds? Personally I didn't like how the windshield and engine gaurds looked on the bike. The only accessories that I added to the bike was the braided coolant line and a sissy bar.

I have the touring windshield on mine and it is great. It is super easy to remove, and I thought that I'd be taking mine off all the time, but I haven't ridden without it one single time. The bugs were the reason before and the cold weather is the reason now.

I personally don't care for the engine guards. I saw them on a bike at a dealer's just the other day and they just didn't appeal to me. No offense, but you probably ought to seriously consider them whether you like them or not. At your experience level it's safe to say that you will lay that bike down at one point or another. Heck, I might lay mine down too for that matter. No one is immune. But low time on bikes is sure gonna increase your risk. Be super, super, SUPER careful if you ever have to get on gravel. It is the worst thing in the world at low speeds. How do I know? Because I laid a bike down in a slow speed turn in gravel one time. Didn't do too much damage but it did scratch the bike a little.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Banned
490 Posts
V-Rod thoughts

I've recently returned to regular motorcycling after a 10-year hiatus, and like you I chose the V-Rod. I also can attest to the incredible positive reaction the bike gets.

The break-in period is pretty important, so try your best to observe the 3000 rpm limitation. This is tougher on the V-Rod than on most other Harleys, but keeping the speed down helps you get acquainted with the bike.

I'm sure that there are a few folks out there who have flirted with the V-Rod's 140 mph top end, but I'm not one of them. 85 mph on the freeway or making a quick pass on a two-lane feels plenty fast enough for me.

Looks aside, I believe that the windshield is somewhat of a "must-have" item. I've got the Super Sport - the mid-sized one - and its looks actually complement the bike. It also takes a lot of pressure off your chest and shoulders, which is real nice if you ride for more than a few minutes at 60-70 mph.

The engine guards I have elected not to buy. They really are only functional in EXTREMELY low speed crashes, or falling over while stopped - and this is a type of accident I believe I can avoid by paying attention to what I'm doing.

The V-Rod is pretty easy to clean. I use the Harley Sunwash with a dedicated mitt. After a good rinse with cold water, I use a clean leaf blower to dry the bike - much less likely to scratch than towels and much quicker too. I also use the Harley Gloss detailer spray with a microfiber detailing cloth after just about every ride - it only takes five minutes.

Check your air pressure regularly - I do it every two or three rides - more often if the bike has been sitting. It greatly improves tire life and handling.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Tire pressure is a must check, a good friend of mine showed me how many tires are improperly inflated greatly affecting safety. Like checking oil, I try to do a good walk around inspection at fillups. Enjoy, ride safe and have fun !!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for all the input and advice. I saw the engine gaurds on a V-Rod at the dealership and they just don't look right. I'll probably go with the windshield once summer gets here.

Ride on!

·
Registered
147 Posts
My suggestion for you is to do what I did when I stumbled upon this great site. Go to the beginning of all of the threads and read them from day one. You wouldn't believe the wealth of experiences and information here! Good luck!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
veerodder said:
My suggestion for you is to do what I did when I stumbled upon this great site. Go to the beginning of all of the threads and read them from day one. You wouldn't believe the wealth of experiences and information here! Good luck!

Ain't that the truth !!! :D

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Thealien said:

Ain't that the truth !!! :D
Yes, that ain't the truth...I mean no that ain't the ... I mean the truth ain't the ..um...?:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts