V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are planning to break in our RoadGlide in a big way. I would like to ride from here in Virginia up into New Bruinswick and down into Nova Scotia. Take the eastern shore line route down the coast and somewhere on the southern end where you can take the ferry back over to Maine then down hwy 1 of the US coast to around Boston. From there I am still working on the route back to Virginia. Probably will depend on the time we spend in Canada. I am going to try and do this in 10 days, I feel I should be able to. The questions are: any tips for this trip? places to see, stay, eat? What can I expect for weather? I plan to pick a week in late July or early August on a week that the weather looks the best. Don't plan on any reservations, ride until we get ready to quit for the day. I did that back in the 80's on a trip thru another part of Canada and had a great time. Did not have to ever push it to be somewhere for reservations. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE:

I don't have any suggestions but I will be watching this thread as a buddy of mine in NJ wants me to ride up this summer and head up to Canada for the same ride. Good luck, sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You have two choices. There is a ferry to Bar Harbor and Portsmouth.
Bar Harbor is very scenic with Acadia Nat. Park then you could ride down the coast. The Cat goes to Bar Harbor I think it was a 4 hr ride. Its a much longer ride on a slow ship to Portsmouth.

When my son and I went a few years ago (99 I think) we took the slow ship from Portmouth Me. to N.S. it is a night trip. The next morning we were in N.S.
We took the Cat (high speed) to Bar Harbor on the way home.

Get the schedule for the boats and plan accordingly.

We did not have any trouble finding places to stay (motels) in N.S. But we ussually get of the road around 5pm
I have AAA and got the travel guides from them.
It was the last week of June. The weather was not great. Rained periodically.

The only motel reservation we made was at Bar Harbor because the ship came in around 8pm.

Make sure you do the Cabot Trail and watch out for Moose.
Have a great time. Hope this helps.

P.S. Bring proof of insurance, You may be asked for it at customs.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
EGlide, Do you mean Portland, ME overnight ferry, I'm unaware of a Portsmouth, ME, but that wouldn't be the first time.

If you mean the Portland ferry, it shut down and I don't beleive it is back in operation. They were battling the city, who owns the pier.

Fulldrawmike, if you need an over night in my area, contact me, I have the room.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
If you don't already have one, I'd check on the passport requirements. I've been told it's now required to have one even to visit Canada.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
mbkodiak said:
If you don't already have one, I'd check on the passport requirements. I've been told it's now required to have one even to visit Canada.
You don't need a passport, just carry a copy of your birth certificate. I own a cottage on Parkers Cove right on the Bay of Fundy. It's just outside of Annapolis Royal. You are choosing a good weather time to go.

A nice trip is to head to New Brunswick and take the Princess of Acadia ferry across to Digby Nova Scotia. The Princess of Acadia is an awesome trip in itself. It is a very large ferry, Ship. She has 4 decks and lots of fun thigs to do on board. Once in Digby have some of those world famous Digby scallops. I would then head toward Annapolis Royal. Try to be in Annapolis on a Saturaday and go to a real old fasion Farmers Market. It is truely amazing! Then have steak and eggs right next store at the Pub, which is the smallest pub in Nova scotia. It's real neat and in an old bank building. Very Historic area. The Plantation is there as well where Canadians fought for the independance from the french. Then just follow the old 101 up the coast. You will never run out of places to stay at very good prices.

It's beautiful Country and nice people. The Maritimes up in this area are behind in the times and very laid back! It's relaxing and enjoyable traveling this area of Canada. The only reservations you should make are for the Ferry, both across and return trip. The rest of the trip I would just take on the fly with no real plan! Remember that the ferry may seem expensive, but put it on a credit card and it will be converted to american funds before you get an invoice.
Rick

·
Registered
271 Posts
DJMA said:
EGlide, Do you mean Portland, ME overnight ferry, I'm unaware of a Portsmouth, ME, but that wouldn't be the first time.

If you mean the Portland ferry, it shut down and I don't beleive it is back in operation. They were battling the city, who owns the pier.

Fulldrawmike, if you need an over night in my area, contact me, I have the room.
Sorry. I meant Portland.
Too bad it shut down cause the timing was great.
I tried to call the number listed on my road map. No luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're planning this 10 days from now!?!?!?!

It's still cold up here. You might even get a little snow! Would postpone your trip a couple of months & then will have good weather. Otherwise, take some heated gear, in case you need it.

The Canadian Atlantic provinces are beautiful & nice riding country.

:yikes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I should also tell you that if you travel with a child you may get questioned at the border. I did.
The customs agent asked my son if his mother knew where he was.
She was convenced that everything was ok and let us go but not without telling me that I should have had a notarized statement from my wife stating she was ok with everything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the info. What a shame. All over a mold issue. It's amazing the city could not get this fixed and save those jobs. Shame on them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe the Cat will run out of Portland this summer as well as out of Bar Harbor. I live about a half mile from the Portland ferry terminal.

Jeff
I'm also planning a Canada trip this summer 2000 miles in 7 days. 2nd week in August Gaspe Penninsula. can't wait

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I am not at all fond of the Cat!

The Cat may be fast but she lacks nostalgia, has been reported to kill many dolfin who can't get out of her way in time, and is just plain ugly in my opinion.

You are limited as to any places you can be outside on deck etc.

I still like the older slower ships. Thats why I drive to New Brunsick and take the Princess of Acadia! The ship is all part of the trip, and fun too! I can lay out in the sun on deck just about anywhere around the perimeter of the whole ship, and they even will take you and the kids to see the captain and engine room if you ask nice! Cool stuff for motor heads!

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone

I appreciate all of the response. I plan to try and do the ride in 10 days of travel time. Not planning to leave until sometime in late July or early August since per the Nova Scotia travel web site they show averages of highs in the 70's for summer. I can use a few extra days if need be but what I plan is to just start watching the weather patterns in mid July. If I see a week of mostly clear skys expected, then just go. Leave on a saurday morning from here in Virginia and be at the Nova Scotia/New Bruinswick border by say monday morning. That gives us 4 days on that part of Canada then 3 days to get home. If we never get a break in the weather then I will go somewhere else but I think hitting those pubs and seafood areas would be awesome. Also the web site pics of their coastline looks fantastic. If anyone else has additional info on places to see or drink and eat let me know! MIKE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts