V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am planing to spend 8 night's and 9 days touring Nova Scotia in August has anybody been there or ridden on the Cabot trail before? Lookin for some input on good places to see, eat ect: already made a reservation on the cat and places to stay, any info appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are a HOG member, the Canadian national HOG rally is there in the last weekend of July.

The Cabot trail is a beautiful ride.

:cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
103FLHX said:
If you are a HOG member, the Canadian national HOG rally is there in the last weekend of July.

The Cabot trail is a beautiful ride.

:cheers:
I will be there August 5Th thru the 13Th.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Cabot Trail is awesome. While you are there you should also ride down through the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth and back up the South Shore to Halifax. Just remember.....back roads are beautiful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
driftercat said:
The Cabot Trail is awesome. While you are there you should also ride down through the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth and back up the South Shore to Halifax. Just remember.....back roads are beautiful.
Gonna take the cat from Portland over to Yarmouth and spend the first night in
Pubnico. Next day ride up to Margaret'e bay spend the night. Take off from there and ride up to Margaree Forks spending 3 nights there. Then ride to Truro
spend 2 nights there then ride thru Annapolis Royal back down to Pubinico for the last night. Next day take the Cat back to Portland and head back home.
The wife and I will be riding with 3 other couples should be a good time.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I rode up there last spring, via Daytona Beach. Returned to LA via Vancouver.

I took the ferry from Bar Harbour. There were a couple guys on Boss Hogs on the ferry as well, tatoos, etc, Candaieans gave them a pretty hard time entereing Canada. Seemed like one of the guys had a DUI in the states many years prior??

I had no issues at all, guess the gray hair helped:duh?: Really enoyed the couple days i spent. Canadians are amoung the friendliest people I have encountered.

greg

·
Registered
271 Posts
My son and I took a great trip through N.S. then took the Cat to New Foundland and ended at this remote French Island group called St. Pierre and Michelon.
On the way back we did the Cabot trail and it was great.
We stayed a small motels along the highway. Very nice people.
We started from Portland Me. on an overnight trip (slow boat) in the morning we were in Yarmouth. We rode to halifax (the weather was lousy-rain and fog) then north to Truro ending in Sydney where we got on the Cat to NFLD.
On the way back we took the Cat to Bar Harbor and rode home to Central Mass.
We were traveling 10 days. It was a great time.
Beware off the wildlife coming out on the rode especially on Cape Bretton and the Cabot trail. Lots of Moose, Deer, ect.
One of my fondest memories of time spent with my son when he was young.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats a nice road trip Gbenner. Hope to do the same one at retirement in 3 years starting in Calgary. Have some land in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia so that will be home eventually. Great riding opportunities there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eglide1 Beware off the wildlife coming out on the rode especially on Cape Bretton and the Cabot trail. Lots of Moose said:
I always enjoy seeing the wildlife!!! I have had a few close encounters with deer
and Turkeys around here. One of the guy's going on the trip with us called me last Friday to come over and cut up the deer is his son had just hit with his truck. I had fresh venison for dinner tonight. I also tagged a nice four pointer this past deer season. I will look forward to the Cabot trail with hope's of getting some pictures of Moose and Deer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TJW said:
I always enjoy seeing the wildlife!!! I have had a few close encounters with deer
and Turkeys around here. One of the guy's going on the trip with us called me last Friday to come over and cut up the deer is his son had just hit with his truck. I had fresh venison for dinner tonight. I also tagged a nice four pointer this past deer season. I will look forward to the Cabot trail with hope's of getting some pictures of Moose and Deer.
Don't tangle with moose! They are LARGE, docile & stupid! They will walk in front of your motorcycle to get a better look!!!!

Hope you have a great trip.

I am going to Halifax for a weekend in June & to Sydney for the HOG rally. It is beautiful riding country.

~!Awesome!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
TJW said:

sounds like a great trip...truly one of canada's most scenic areas..unspoiled...althought the RV crowd has discovered it..so beware of those blue haired ladies driving a 40 foot winni...

may not see any moose/deer that time of year unless you get off the beaten path...(well maybe some moosehead beer!)

watch yer weather forecasts...can get foggy along the coast...and NO nite driving...

have a good one...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sonoffatboy said:
sounds like a great trip...truly one of canada's most scenic areas..unspoiled...althought the RV crowd has discovered it..so beware of those blue haired ladies driving a 40 foot winni...

may not see any moose/deer that time of year unless you get off the beaten path...(well maybe some moosehead beer!)

watch yer weather forecasts...can get foggy along the coast...and NO nite driving...

have a good one...
Beware of those blue haired ladies driving anything!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
103FLHX said:
Don't tangle with moose! They are LARGE, docile & stupid! They will walk in front of your motorcycle to get a better look!!!!

Hope you have a great trip.

I am going to Halifax for a weekend in June & to Sydney for the HOG rally. It is beautiful riding country.

~!Awesome!
The trucks in New Foundland have these Roadwarrior front ends on them to keep them from getting demolished when they hit a moose.
It's a grizzly scene 1st thing in the morning when you come up to a place where a moose was hit. The blood spatter is a couple hundred feet long.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eglide1 said:
The trucks in New Foundland have these Roadwarrior front ends on them to keep them from getting demolished when they hit a moose.
It's a grizzly scene 1st thing in the morning when you come up to a place where a moose was hit. The blood spatter is a couple hundred feet long.
Probably no big chunks left to cut a steak off:hmmm:Hope there will be some place to eat along the way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nova Scotia

Howdy TJW:

I was there with the family 2 years ago (so I couldn't ride). The cabot trail is great, winding roads and many vistas overlooking the road, rugged terrain and ocean. I.e. many picture spots for a bike. If you get a chance go south as well to Halifax and visit Alexander Keiths brewery and south from there to Lunenburg (very pretty coastal village and home to the Bluenose) and of course Peggy's Cove (It is a little commercial though).

If you want info , just search on line Nova Scotia + travel and you will get into the provicial website...they will send you maps, accomodation guides etc....all free!!!

Have a good one eh!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I am planning a trip for end of july or begining of august to Novia Scotia. I am leaving from CT, I am not sure if I want to ride all the way or take the fairy from portland. I also want to stop at arcadia national park along the way. I am also thinking about heading to Gaspe why I am there. I will have between ten and fourteen days total.

Any sugestions would be appreciated. It will be just the wife and I.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rob Roadking said:
I am planning a trip for end of july or begining of august to Novia Scotia. I am leaving from CT, I am not sure if I want to ride all the way or take the fairy from portland. I also want to stop at arcadia national park along the way. I am also thinking about heading to Gaspe why I am there. I will have between ten and fourteen days total.

Any sugestions would be appreciated. It will be just the wife and I.
Hey Rob, if you want to see Arcadia national park it's a lot cheaper and less time to take the cattermaran from Bar Harbor over to Nova Scotcia.
I made my reservation from Portland to Nova Scotcia it cost $606.00 for the bike and two people round trip.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I was thinking of going that route, but I would rather ride then go for a boat ride. I was going to go that way to save time, but money? I do not see it costing six hundred dollars to ride the whole way but I could be wrong:dunno: I was figuring two days or so to get to the top of maine, then a week or so around the area and then start the trip back. Hitting the park either on the way up or back. Maybe take boat one way could be a possibility.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Rob Roadking said:
I do not see it costing six hundred dollars to ride the whole way but I could be wrong:dunno:
Maybe it's 600 canadian, which is like...14 bucks US :hystria: :hystria: :hystria:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Portland is no longer running. They closed up due to a disagreement with the town.
I was told this by a forum member within the last couple of weeks.
You can find it in another N.S. thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts