V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo!

Any NoVA Delinquents interested in doing Sturgis in '06?

If so, sound off here.

I could be a lot of fun. ;)

regards,

wyo

PS - marlanders, WVAers, pennsylnecks and all east coast VTF members are welcome so don't be shy.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
I could be up for this (never done Sturgis) but it'll take some serious wheelin' an dealin' with the OL. August 7 - 13th. What-er we talkin' 'bout here, maybe 3 days on the road?

I'd love to do some of the local eyeball riding too:
- Mt. Rushmore
- Devil's Tower
- Deadwood
- Hot Springs
- Spearfish Canyon

I am optioned out to carry some gear now so campin' would be cool. Maybe we could head South a bit, Tennessee/Nashville/Memphis way, and pick up the remnants of old Rt. 66 in St. Louis and head North from there into South Dakota.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HD-LUX said:
I could be up for this (never done Sturgis) but it'll take some serious wheelin' an dealin' with the OL. August 7 - 13th. What-er we talkin' 'bout here, maybe 3 days on the road?

I'd love to do some of the local eyeball riding too:
- Mt. Rushmore
- Devil's Tower
- Deadwood
- Hot Springs
- Spearfish Canyon

I am optioned out to carry some gear now so campin' would be cool. Maybe we could head South a bit, Tennessee/Nashville/Memphis way, and pick up the remnants of old Rt. 66 in St. Louis and head North from there into South Dakota.

Hi Chris,

I guess it would be about three days each way. Mapquest indicates about 1600 miles from VA to Sturgis.

I have plenty of camping gear as well and there are a whole lotta KOAs between here and there.

Better start racking up the husband points now. :cool:

regards,

wyo

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I am not in VA, but would be interested in the trip also. I could always ride down that way the day before. I was thinking of doing a Novia Scotia trip next summer but I could easily go back to Sturgis. I went two years ago with the o.l. put bike in back of truck and went( better then a trailer::bleh: took two days. The scenery doesn't get enjoyable untill you get out almost to Sturgis. I went through Chicago so it was all highway and cornfields. Once there some of the best riding I have seen. Chris it wouldn't be worth the trip if you didn't see MT. rushmore, devils tower, needles hwy, badlands and a couple of the other sites. I have almost thought about next time going back and not spending so much time at sturgis and using the time out there to head west some more. Just my 2 cents and keep me posted if you don't mind a northerner.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I'd be interested meeting up with you in Michigan or wherever, depending on your route.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
I'm interested, but thats one serious kitchen pass.... let's keep talking.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Funny...but VaFatBoy and I were talking about this very thing today...We're both gonna be workin' for the same outfit...hmmm wonder how that'll play out, I'll have a BIG Dodge that Linda could Drive/chase us with and any other ladies could share the driving...fact is they could get to the camps ahead of us...kinda thinkin' out loud...but then again it'd be a great ride, just the delinquents without any OL's lookin' over our shoulders!!!

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Dude's, I am getting psyched for this thing. I love the idea of picking up others as we go along. But I'd have to leave the OL at home -- what with the little ones.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FXDRYDR said:
I'd be interested meeting up with you in Michigan or wherever, depending on your route.

Well,

Since we're just talking..

My route out would be something like this:

Day 1 - Northern VA to somewhere in NW Ohio. It's 6 hours from Alexandria to Wheeling VA (I know because I've done it more times than I care to remember). From there, it's pick 'em. US 250 to Wooster is nice, then US 30 into Mansfield (usually get here around 5 pm). A good first day would get into Upper Sandusky or Findlay (13 hour day).

Day 2 - hot ass it on I-75 up to Bay City, Mich, then take US 23 up the eastern side of MI, cross onto the Upper Pennisula, catch US 2 all the way to Iron Mountain, MI. This is probably another 600 mile day.

Day 3 - Snake across northern Wisconsin on WI -70 into Minnesota then start dropping down. A good end point would be somewhere in eastern SD.

I know this makes it 4 days out, but the UP and northern Wisconsin are really some nice riding. Last time I took this route, I caught US 2 in NW Wisconsin and rode to Grand Forks ND. From Marquette MI to grand Forks, ND was a full 600 mile day (IIRC).

I KNOW ND isn't fer sh!t and I imagine eastern SD ain't much better, so it would definitely be hammer down time.

Comments? Suggestions? Anybody?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I really dig the U.P. part, it the most forgotten place on earth and one of the best places to ride BEFORE DARK when all manner of critters are about not the least of which is the black fly...but 4 days begins to make it tough on those of us with limited time off...sigh...I gotta win the lottery!!!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HD-LUX said:
Dude's, I am getting psyched for this thing. I love the idea of picking up others as we go along. But I'd have to leave the OL at home -- what with the little ones.
Hum..

Probably best to leave the OL, they'll charge ya both with child endangerment if you just leave 'em unattended :blink:

Besides, she won't be able to see 'cause you'll have a digi-cam strapped to yer noggin. :laugh:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Sounds great. I gotta dig out some maps. I am a AAA member so I am going to get their maps, travel books, KOA stuff, and trip-tics started. Then I'll have more input into a route. It's all included in the annual fee. Still a rip off but might as well use it. I can play lemming pretty, flexible on the route. Lots of scenery and critters sounds great. Any Great Lakes riding possible? Never been that area on the bike, just South (Louisiana) and North (Pennsylvania).

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Sounds great. I gotta dig out some maps. I am a AAA member so I am going to get their maps, travel books, KOA stuff, and trip-tics started. Then I'll have more input into a route. It's all included in the annual fee. Still a rip off but might as well use it. I can play lemming pretty, flexible on the route. Lots of scenery and critters sounds great. Any Great Lakes riding possible? Never been that area on the bike, just South (Louisiana) and North (Pennsylvania).
Go through the U.P. (upper penninsula of Mi.) you'll see the lakes...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
swmnkdinthervr said:
...but 4 days begins to make it tough on those of us with limited time off...
Yeah, I understand completely.

As far as I'm concerned, we could ride out, spend a day or three exploring the area, then head back.

I would even consider going a week early as I understand all the vendors get there early. And I'm not a fan of huge crowds.

Another option would be US 30 in OH and catch US 224 on the western edge of OH, US224 becomes 24 in Indiana and goes all the way to Peoria Illinois, then a slight detour north to into Iowa to catch US 20. Isn't there some kind of motorcycle museum in Galesburg, IL?

Anyway, the big thing about this route is bypassing Chicago. Big cities have their own inherent difficulties. I avoid them if I can.

This route is not a nice as the UP, mostly farmland but scenic and more direct. This route would get us ther in 3 days.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Wife says i could go too:woohoo:... IF i finish all the projects around the house:unsure:

:hmmm: You think you'll be going again in 2016?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts