V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haloo. 1986 FSXTC, .020 Wiseco 10:1 pistons, S&S rods, stock heads with a good valve job, stock exhaust with quiet slip-ons, S&S Super E carb and Crane 300 cam. Bike runs ok, but I feel it needs more cam. Cold comp-test runs about 183 psi. Was thinking of going to the Crane 316 since it already has the Crane in it. Hard to find out much about anyone's experience with this cam. Thought about the Andrews EV-46, similar, but I kinda like the extra exhaust duration of the Crane. Any thoughts here? Angel (the scoot) runs out of steam at around 4000 or so right now. Thanks in adavance.

C.........

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I have used the woods # 8 in several evo motors and have nothing but happy customers. Good power every where. dsv

·
Registered
63 Posts
high mechanical compression ya got there. what does "needing more cam" mean? how do you ride? do you want a bottom to mid or mid to high range?

do the comp test warm with the throttle open.....

running out of steam at 4K? is the carb tuned and the air cleaner good? what do the plugs look like.

you're limited by the valve springs.....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haloo, thanks for the reply. DSV, not familiar with the Woods cams. Shovelbill, ja, the static compression is up there...I didn't build the motor, bought it that way. Have about 1400 miles since the build. Warm comp test is around 188 or so. Bike is a bear to start and you can "feel" the motor working against itself at low revs. I think the 300 would have been better mated to around 9:1 compression, but like I say I did not build it. The valve springs are new, stock, so I don't look for a lot of lift, especially with the "stock" heads. I am hoping something like the 316 would let the motor breathe better up to around five thousand or so. I don't like playing the detonation game all the time because of the short intake close coupled with the c/r. Have any experience with the 316?

C........

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry...i'm not very familiar with Crane grinds....i came up with Leineweber and have since gotten into Makie cams.....much easier on the valve train.

see what's out there in the 252/256 like that woods 8.....except for the lift......the Wood 7 is a bolt in......i just think the cams are noisy.

look at this Mackie DM 500. if you had different springs i'd recommend the 530, my friend is running the 530 and loves it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haloo, again. Thanks 'Bill. Ok, looked up the specs on the Woods cams and the Mackie 500. Little bit more duration than what I "think" I am looking for. Thought about retarding the 300 to see what that would do, but heck, while I am in there I might as well do it right. Maybe I am going to be a guinea pig for the Crane 316. I am surprised there isn't more info on that cam when looking at the specs. Would like to find one without the gear to save a little cabbage. Ride while ya can.

C.........

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Chek out the S&S 510 bolt in. I'm running one in a 89" stroker & love it. Longer exhaust duration makes for a bit of a cooler running motor & helps with detonation.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Halloo. Thanks Kenny, the S&S 510 seems pretty close to what I think I need. But I finally found some dyna data for the 316 and went ahead and ordered it today. Hoping to pull one horse per cube and a bit more for torque. Should know by the end of the week. I'm just "guinea-piggin'" along here. Thanks much guys.

C........

·
Registered
132 Posts
high mechanical compression ya got there. what does "needing more cam" mean? how do you ride? do you want a bottom to mid or mid to high range?

do the comp test warm with the throttle open.....

running out of steam at 4K? is the carb tuned and the air cleaner good? what do the plugs look like.

you're limited by the valve springs.....
This is a good evaluation of the problem, I think. I'll bet you have too large of main jets

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haloo, Len. Good call on the jetting, lotta people could find a little more if they backed it down a little hey? But, no, the jetting is pretty much spot on "at this time". Running .028 intermediate and .064 high. High speed jet is actually a small size for the motor, but it runs good...up to around four grand. Oh, don't get me wrong, it WILL pull more revs than that, just runs out of steam. The cam is just too small for the c/r, hence looking for more cam. AHHH, found out a little while ago that we cannot locate the 316-2B, so I ordered an Andrews EV46. I know it will work, but I just really wanted to try something different. Never ran the 46 at this c/r, so it will be a fun jog to see what happens. Find out this week-end...hopefully.

C.......

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Halloo. I so miss my Shovel...learning a lot on the Evo. Builder used adjustable pushrods, but they are not the "time-saver" type. So I guess I will be pulling rocker boxes while I am at it. May get another set of pushrods to make future work easier. Any recommendations on good adjustables? Man, the Evo lifters sit waaay down in the blocks!

C.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'd definetely go with chrome moly.....tapered too. pretty sure v-thunder(comp cams) has them for a good price. i don't like aluminum....especially Jims pushrods, from what i've seen in friends' bikes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haloo, Bill. Found a set in J&P catalog for 144 USD. USA made but don't have a brand name listed. I never run aluminum pushrods. I wonder if I ought to just cut the old ones out to keep from pulling the rocker boxes...but, then again, could just pull the boxes and then the next one will be easier. Like I say, "I so miss my old Shovel".

C.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haloo, Bill. Found a set in J&P catalog for 144 USD. USA made but don't have a brand name listed. I never run aluminum pushrods. I wonder if I ought to just cut the old ones out to keep from pulling the rocker boxes...but, then again, could just pull the boxes and then the next one will be easier. Like I say, "I so miss my old Shovel".

C.......
use a bolt cutter......make sure you change the bearing too.

i'd like to hear about your shovel.

get another one and build it to run like and evo :whistle:. i've had 2evo's that i built into 5 different variations......i love the origional motor in my '84 softail......only has 5 over pistons at 9:1 and runs like all get out, i'm leaving that alone.

my shovel represents much more to me than a sled.....it's therapy. she's .010 over 80", 9.5 Wisecos set to 10.5:1, dual plug/Dyna S single fire, t-jetted Super B, Velva Touch evo cam/oiling lifter setup, stock '80 heads done by Mike Sorenson.....2" intake...welded/raised intake ports (flow 265/[email protected] 28"), ported E intake, Mackie 581 cam at .529 with S&S shovel roller rockers.......she goes good.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haloo, Bill. Yeh, can't make up my mind on cutting out the pushrods. Could always sell 'em for a couple bucks, and it would give me the opportunity to familiarize myself with the evo rocker boxes. Think I'll put her back together tonight and go for a ride tomorrow...best way to drain the tanks, hee hee. Spooky, my Shovel, was the first HD I ever owned (not counting an Aermechii 250 SS my Pop got me and my Brother in the '60s). She was a 1973 Police bike I picked up at auction in 1979. Still had the Police bags, switches, everything. Rode her black and white for one season then rebuilt her from top to bottom. She was pretty much a stock motor, little compression bump, FLH cam, re-worked Bendix carb (such a simple fine old carb) and drag pipes. I put around 125 miles on the break-in and got run off the road and had to rebuild the front-end, re-paint, etc. When I finally sold her to a good friend around 1994 or so she had over 50000 miles and had never once gave me a problem. Ok, the old Wagner Lockheed rear master cylinder would take a dump every 5000 or so, and those old "banana" calipers were nothing to write home about, but, man that was the one bike I would love to have back. Something about the old Shovel-head motors. Easy to work on, sound good, torquey, and just plain good on the eyes. The eyes are mistin' on me. Don't ever get rid of yer Shovel.

C.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts