V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having second thoughts on my dealer here. He will not talk to you about list price, much less a price below list when buying a bike. He usually sells for quite a bit more than list. Now I want to go to another type tire due to unsatisfied with Dunlop and he won't even order or put the tire on, says he will lose the HD legal protection is he does. He gives no incentative to get my business, charges more than the local aircraft maintenance corporation for hourly labor. I can get better prices for parts in Chicago than at my dealer. All in all very unsatisfied with this dealer. This guy gives no quarter.
Just wondering if anyone else is having this type of experience with their dealer.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
navyharley,

Given the demand, I think aiming for a price below list is unrealistic, but msrp is not.
Paying more than msrp is a personal decision based on many factors (bike in stock, proximity to home, etc).

If you have the time, most likely you can find the bike you want (in stock) at an msrp dealer within a day or two ride from your locale.

wyo

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If your not happy, speak with your wallet !!! I have a dealer 10 miles away and one 50 miles away, I do business with whoever treats me better. Although for a set of plugs or Orings I don't care.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All very good advise, think I will. A friend of mine in Orange Park FL (Jacksonville) was having the same problem there and they took their business to Gainsville. The dealer in Orange Park quickly took notice and changed, now they are pretty good. Think I'll organize a local "strike " LOL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dothan HD has an outstanding service dept- but that's about it. Stay away from Ft Walton- his reputation is pretty bad- Pensacola has gotten much better, and Tallahassee just built a new dealership. There is one in Montgomery but I don't know a lot about them- if you are looking for a bike- call up and tell them you want an "out the door price"
Also if you have a HD and want the tires changed- call the local Honda shop, we've done that here when we needed one and the HD shops were backed up (pre- Daytona ect.)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strick,
Thanks for the heads up. I have a bike, 2001 FLSTCI Heritage. Thats what started all this with the dealer. I did go to my Honda shop for the rear tire, that story in is in the other forum. Got good service and a good price. Dealer even wants to do more Harley stuff. Dothan serivce is okay, I wouldn't call it good. Too many complaints here on items not done correctly, or not done at all, too many repeat gripes, too much of Harley won't let us do this, or do that.
I even went as far as sit down with the general manager at the Dothan Shop, but the owner doesn't care, so no change. Anyone doing buisness with the Dothan Shop good luck, my advice is don't.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Hottie, I will definitely check out the Tally Harley Dealer. Don't bother with the Dothan one. They are out for one thing, your $.

Tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW Hottie,
Who do you ride with in Tally, are you SCRC?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My own Exp just a couple weeks ago

Dealer ..........Hmmm.
I had a very interesting incident involving my "dealer" . I call him my dealer because in 95 I bought an XL1200C. In 1997 I bought an FLHR-I . In 2002 I bought a FLHTC-I . All new ,all with options and a few add ons right from the start. I was on the " list for a 100th Ann. FLHTC-I with lace wheels,Alarm,F-I, and a few chrome goodies. To make a long story short my name sort of dissappeared of the list(even though they sold my 02 on consignment and held the cash as a down payment). Well , here I am expecting a new scoot in April and I stop by to be sure everything is inline and do I get a kick in the groin. Here is the problem,I got no paper saying what the vin or anything was on my behalf. He says I insinuated that I no longer wanted the bike/BUT I still had 12,300 in cash at his dealership. So nonethe less I got spooked (having no real receipt that he had my money in his possession) and took one of what he had to offer. He has 2 VRSCA(2003) in Anod. Alum. and 1 in 100th Ann. Black and Silver. And a couple of Sportster 1200 in various trim. I wanted a Classic and got a V-Rod. Or I could try to get my 12,300.00 somehow. I really doubt that I would have got the cash without a court battle. They were real jerks. I have no idea what I did to get in this situation. But I know that I will not name this dealership until after I get my 1000 mile check up and tune up and can sever my ties forever with them. Since this happened on jan 28,03 I have been to West Bend H-D, Vandervest H-D, Suburban H-D, Hal's H-D(yesterday) and plan on going down to Madison to that dealership. I am going to try to start a fresh relationship with a dealer that is honest and also is affiliated with HOG as not all dealerships have HOG chapters. Yes, dissappointed is an understatement. Betrayed even. I considered going on a short no bike time and decide what I was to do . But my friends convinced me to ride this out and find a new dealership. Back at you all....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts