V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked outside today. Through the snow of course. And noticed that we have at a minimum about eight more weeks until it's riding season.
Riding Season = No Salt on the Road and Above 32 degrees.

Man...I sure do love summer time. :woohoo:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
I just looked outside today. Through the snow of course. And noticed that we have at a minimum about eight more weeks until it's riding season.
Riding Season = No Salt on the Road and Above 32 degrees.

Man...I sure do love summer time. :woohoo:
I feel your pain...We just got another 8-10" of fresh snow earlier this week. Figures, it started snowing the day I put on my new pipes, air cleaner and SERT.:blink:

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Hardly any snow this year up here. A brown winter. The ski areas are taking a beating. The upside is I've been riding regularly all winter. I have 1000 miles this year already.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I've been riding a lot as well. This new storm will put a hault to that for a short while. It'll be in the low forties by Tuesday, rain should be here by Wednesday for two days to wash out the salt, and on the bike again by Saturday!!

A man can dream, can't he? Sure beats the hell out of last winter.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Same here in Western NY.

Im about an hour East of you and get your weather about an hour after you do. Not been bad this year compared to some but still sucks for riding. Going to Penn-Ohio swap meet today, I'll wave when I go thru Erie.:nfu2:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wouldn't be so bad here if it would rain. It snows then the salt it dropped. But it stays dry till the next snow. Some maniacs get out there with the salt popping off their hot engines. To each his own I guess. :sofa:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Been in the 80's here all week....sorry:wootdnc: :woohoo: :boxin:

Just thought I'd rub it in.....other than the weather, California sucks!!! It's all I've got:gun:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
It wouldn't be so bad here if it would rain. It snows then the salt it dropped. But it stays dry till the next snow. Some maniacs get out there with the salt popping off their hot engines. To each his own I guess. :sofa:
Guess I must be one of those "maniacs" but then when I built my garage I installed running water, bathroom and shower,:) and an 8' trench drain in the middle of the garage. See, I ride year round. As long as there's no ice on the road, it's riding weather. Course it might get a little chilly for you on that Sporty...hehehehe. When I'm done I just rinse her off, with warm water, and I'm good to go!! Hey, my bike came from Daytona. Lot's 'o' salt down there. Besides, Harleys run great in cold weather. I bet I put 800-1000 miles on in the winter and I have no rust or pitting!!
BTW, I work in Erie a lot. I'm sure you've been to the Cab on West 26th st (Great food and people and nice pig roast) and Bike night on Wednesdays at the Quaker Steak and Lube. Erie's about 1-3/4 hrs. from my house. :banana:

I'm:xhere: , think I'll go for a ride before it snows......TTYL

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
Guess I must be one of those "maniacs" but then when I built my garage I installed running water, bathroom and shower,:) and an 8' trench drain in the middle of the garage. See, I ride year round. As long as there's no ice on the road, it's riding weather. Course it might get a little chilly for you on that Sporty...hehehehe. When I'm done I just rinse her off, with warm water, and I'm good to go!! Hey, my bike came from Daytona. Lot's 'o' salt down there. Besides, Harleys run great in cold weather. I bet I put 800-1000 miles on in the winter and I have no rust or pitting!!
BTW, I work in Erie a lot. I'm sure you've been to the Cab on West 26th st (Great food and people and nice pig roast) and Bike night on Wednesdays at the Quaker Steak and Lube. Erie's about 1-3/4 hrs. from my house. :banana:

I'm:xhere: , think I'll go for a ride before it snows......TTYL
The cold doesn't bother me as much as what I think it's doing to me engine. I fear pitting. Salt jumping up on a hot engine and then the engine trying to melt it against itself. :nope: Little pin holes start forming from what I'm told. You may have gotten the last one that got the clear coat pitting proof wax on it. :265: I have thought of just bolting on a ski to the front tire and just holding the front hand brake and let her rip. :hmmm:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
The cold doesn't bother me as much as what I think it's doing to me engine. I fear pitting. Salt jumping up on a hot engine and then the engine trying to melt it against itself. :nope: Little pin holes start forming from what I'm told. You may have gotten the last one that got the clear coat pitting proof wax on it. :265: I have thought of just bolting on a ski to the front tire and just holding the front hand brake and let her rip. :hmmm:
So, I guess all those people that live near the salty oceans and on the salty Gulf Coast probably shouldn't ever take their bikes out of their garages. Do you ever ride in the rain? Acid rain will probably as much damage to your chrome as salt. All I'm saying is I'm gonna ride whenever I can. A little rinse job afterwards and a occasional wash will take care of the salt problem. :boxin:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
So, I guess all those people that live near the salty oceans and on the salty Gulf Coast probably shouldn't ever take their bikes out of their garages. Do you ever ride in the rain? Acid rain will probably as much damage to your chrome as salt. All I'm saying is I'm gonna ride whenever I can. A little rinse job afterwards and a occasional wash will take care of the salt problem. :boxin:
I see you have thrown on the boxing gloves. Okay...:gun: All I'm saying is salt hurts. I've heard of people with spokes rusting out when they go to the beach. Some of that is documented in our very own VTF. To each his own. If you go buy and theirs salt on the ground. Don't worry...I'll still wave. ~!:yes: ~!Awesome!

And what's with this coloring of the text. I'm the text coloror in the North East! :nunu:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Some people spend their whole lives worrying about what if and never end up doing anything.

Just ride the goddamned thing. :rolleyes:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
wyodude said:
Some people spend their whole lives worrying about what if and never end up doing anything.

Just ride the goddamned thing. :rolleyes:
@gree: :thanks: :clap: :woohoo: :cheers::chopper:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I agree RIDE.

What's the difference between skiing and winter riding?

I cant ski to work.

Warm clothes and splash guards......CHEERS

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
P 0 P E Y E said:
I agree RIDE.

What's the difference between skiing and winter riding?

I cant ski to work.

Warm clothes and splash guards......CHEERS
WTF??? :duh?:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts