V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to plan a bike trip to the northeast this year with our usual group of 10-12 bikes. We'd like to get up into NH, Maine, Vermont etc. I know down here, I and other LEOs don't give a rats azz about pipes. But from what I've read there are some froo-froo towns up north where you have to be careful about noise. Are you gonna get hassled whether your being conservative with the throttle or not?

We want to have a good time. Bed and breakfasts if possible and A-LOT of fresh seafood.

Many thanks.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
You may be hassled if you are too loud along Rt. 1 in the beach towns up the coast of NH and Maine, specifically towns like Hampton, NH and Ogunquit ME.
These towns and others have noise ordinances that target loud pipes. If you keep off the throttle, you should be ok and have a hassle free ride.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hey Timbo
I ride primarily in Maine and NH. I have never had any trouble about pipes and used to run V&H's. I am currently running a Thunderheader and it is not as loud. To me it all comes down to dont make noise in town and save it for the back roads. They ae getting tougher on getting an inspection sticker in Maine with after market pipes in some area's. But for the most part I dont see you having any problems. Let me know when you are coming maybe I can show you around this area a bit. I love to ride the back roads of Maine and NH, from the coast to the mountains. If you have any questions let me know. No helmet laws in Maine or NH but there is in Mass and VT.
The only other thing I can think of is in NH you must be wearing glasses.

·
Registered
337 Posts
well i know around here in NY they don't bother you unless your acting stupid with throttle. I think if you play nice in town you'll be fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was a "crackdown" of sorts in Litchfield Ct. this past summer. They were pulling everybody over. It didn't seem to matter how loud the bikes were or whether you were alone or in a group. Seems like they were just tryin' to tick people off and "encourage" people to take the long way around town. Kind of a yuppie area around there. We'll see what next year brings.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Man I hate yuppie areas. Up here they tore down an old mall and put up this little shopping "village".. there's all these pubs and crap there plus designer shops. My OL wanted to buy a gift certificate for a gift cause her friend likes this pub, so we went up there today. Now I don't think I look too rough in person but the place was yuppie heaven and no one wanted to serve us. I had to physically stop a server to place an order.. and I know it was because they could tell I am a biker.

..so I am kinda hot on the way home and thinking they need to learn a lesson. There is this local bike rag... this yuppie pub needs an "offical bike night" come spring. I know a guy who works for the mag and I think I will place the ad for them...they didn't like one biker so I'll see how they like 150.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
JamieWG said:
Man I hate yuppie areas. Up here they tore down an old mall and put up this little shopping "village".. there's all these pubs and crap there plus designer shops. My OL wanted to buy a gift certificate for a gift cause her friend likes this pub, so we went up there today. Now I don't think I look too rough in person but the place was yuppie heaven and no one wanted to serve us. I had to physically stop a server to place an order.. and I know it was because they could tell I am a biker.

..so I am kinda hot on the way home and thinking they need to learn a lesson. There is this local bike rag... this yuppie pub needs an "offical bike night" come spring. I know a guy who works for the mag and I think I will place the ad for them...they didn't like one biker so I'll see how they like 150.
Sooooo you're going to punish them by sending them a bunch of business?:huh: The pub owner may not like bikers, but I doubt he'd mind too much if 150 of them strolled into his place and started spending money.:beer4u:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I can give you first hand advice. Don't drag race down Main street in Brunswick Maine unless you have a fake Massachusetts drivers license to leave with the cop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 years ago in Laconia NH they were stopping most bikes on Main street through the city and also around the Weirs Beach area and checking them with a Db meter. The rumor was that they were really cracking down on noise starting that year. I have python 2 pipes on my '04 Fat Boy, so I was a little worried. I went easy through town and didn't get hassled at all. Last year I didn't see one bike being checked at all, so who knows what "cracking down" means. I ride NH a lot and as long as you aren't obnoxious through the main street areas, you'll be all set. Have a great ride.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
You'll be fine as long as your not being stupid. Which somehow I doubt you will be. What I do notice a lot is LEOs checking for valid inspection stickers at toll booths and tourist areas. We have a relatively new noise level law in NH but that is inforced on inspection and isn't all that strict. My bike has samsons which are fairly loud and actually passes. I do know it is harder to pass with pipes on the same side or if you have had performance work done with cams. The test is a little complicated to do on the road. If you don't have a valid inspection who knows what they will pull out of their trunk o tricks when they have you pulled over though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts