V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 dyna...with a stage one kit and a oil cooler...My oil temp gauge(digital) that replaced the stock oil filler cap say my oil temp is 227....on a cool 60 degree day.....with normal cruising..is this normal or should I be worried....my sportster ran 30 dgrees cooler

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
harleymike59 said:
I have a 05 dyna...with a stage one kit and a oil cooler...My oil temp gauge(digital) that replaced the stock oil filler cap say my oil temp is 227....on a cool 60 degree day.....with normal cruising..is this normal or should I be worried....my sportster ran 30 dgrees cooler
Assuming your guage is accurate that sounds fine.
That's about what I run with a built 95" motor but no
oil cooler. Close to 250 on a real hot day.
It gets pretty hot in Barstow.
What did it read this past summer?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
harleymike59 said:
227 isn't anything to worry about. You don't say how many miles are on your bike though. If it is still low miles it will run cooler after you add a few thousand. My bike ran HOT untill it was broke in.

·
Registered
779 Posts
From the 2001 Harley Davidson Dyna service manual, page 3-15 under checking oil pressure:

"Note: Engine oil should be at normal operating temprature (230*F/110*C) for an accurate reading."

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts