V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to introduce myself. I'm Brad Watson from Calgary, Alberta.

Presently I own a 97 Dyna Wide Glide which I have posted about under the Dyna area. It's a pretty great ride with 97 TQ / 92 HP out of the 80".

I also own an 05 Roadglide which is in the shop getting the valve seals replaced, and a 95" while they are at it.

I hope to pick up an older bike this year, Harley or Indian, preferably 50's or earlier.

Even though we have a lot of cold wintery weather here (4 months summer, 8 months hard sledding lol), I do manage to ride a lot. I average about 9000 to 10,000 miles per year, mostly on day rides, evenings, work, weekend getaways & the occasional vacation. I ride pretty steady from May - September. During this time you can expect a lot of nice riding weather. Anything outside of that can be pretty iffy one day to the next. There isn't a month in the year it hasn't snowed here at some point. April and October are usually good for several nice riding days, if you dress up a bit. That leaves us with November - March. During this time I try to ride at least once a month, but often ride a lot more. Since Jan 98 I have ridden at least once a month.

The other thing you should know about me is I am a motorcycle instructor, and very committed to motorcycle safety! I only ride when I can safely do so. I wouldn't jeopardize my life or anyone elses. I ride for my own enjoyment and accomplishment. I really enjoy teaching and watching students as they master a new skill.

I am quite critical of a lot of riders who think they can ride, but can't control a motorcycle. I can spot them in an instant. I like to sit and have coffee at some of the bike gathering spots and watch people ride through the parking lots with their outriggers sticking out. Whadaya think they put footrests on your bike for! If you can't ride to a complete stop or perform a U-turn in a parking lot without sticking your legs out ...... Do yourself a favor and take a motorcycle course. You won't believe how much you don't know about your motorcycles capabilities. Ok, too heavy, off the soapbox now.

I enjoy all makes and types of motorcycles and will always give a fellow biker a wave.

Thanks for checking me out. :265:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Welcome neighbour,

I am from "just down the road" in Medicine Hat.

This is a very good forum...not much bit**ing and lots of good information.

It sounds like you will have a couple of strong rides.

Any chance you know of a good dyno tuner in Calgary?

Again, welcome.

Brad

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
:welcome: to the forums.

It is amazing the amount of bikers you will speak to that don't even have a license let alone a rider safety certificate.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the finest V-twin Motorcycle forum known to man.

Stick around and you will meet some fine folks here that know their ship or pick your brain cause you know yours.

Post up and read some fine stuff, It's all here under one guise......VTF.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Welcome! I did take the ABATE course before I even sat on my Harley... I know where your coming from when those "riders" stick thier legs out on turns. Duh! Thanks for sharing your story and do post, especially in the safety forums...

Carrie

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
wydeglyde said:
I am quite critical of a lot of riders who think they can ride, but can't control a motorcycle. I can spot them in an instant. I like to sit and have coffee at some of the bike gathering spots and watch people ride through the parking lots with their outriggers sticking out. Whadaya think they put footrests on your bike for! If you can't ride to a complete stop or perform a U-turn in a parking lot without sticking your legs out ...... Do yourself a favor and take a motorcycle course.
@gree: I couldn't agree more with ya on this. :welcome: to the fourm and be sure to check out the Rider Safety Tips section of this forum. Your input would be very beneficial here. Post up often and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
another albertan....jeez you're all buying harleys out there now?...must be all that OIL money pouring in again...%[email protected]

just kiddin ..welcome, lots to learn here, btw cowtown is my second home...(have family out there..who'd you get your bike from, Kanes?

agree with your comments on new riders who really oughta invest a buck and get some additional instruction.....cheap price to pay considering it cud save your life or limb...my wife passed the MSF courses here in Ontario, but paid a top quality teacher for a few lessons one on one...she is more confident now and aware..

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,

rentalman, I have found that Jeff Abbot at Calgary Harley is very good. He just built the 95 in my roadglide. Gotta get it broken in and some final dyno tuning.

I plan to get the sert installed later this year after I make some $$ from teaching classes. I was talking to the Service Manager (Jerry) and he said he was going to get some extra training for the guys over the winter on the sert. I'll let you know how it goes.

sonoffatboy, I bought my bikes at Calgary Harley, but I do drop in at Kanes now and again. No problem with ****, I just got a better reception/attention from Calgary Harley (was Southern Alberta Harley).

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
wydeglyde said:
Thanks all,

rentalman, I have found that Jeff Abbot at Calgary Harley is very good. He just built the 95 in my roadglide. Gotta get it broken in and some final dyno tuning.

I plan to get the sert installed later this year after I make some $$ from teaching classes. I was talking to the Service Manager (Jerry) and he said he was going to get some extra training for the guys over the winter on the sert. I'll let you know how it goes.

sonoffatboy, I bought my bikes at Calgary Harley, but I do drop in at Kanes now and again. No problem with ****, I just got a better reception/attention from Calgary Harley (was Southern Alberta Harley).
WG...**** is quite a character..(he sure is old skool compared to some of the new type botique harley stores eh?) Met him a few times out west and down here...

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sonoffatboy said:
WG...**** is quite a character..(he sure is old skool compared to some of the new type botique harley stores eh?) Met him a few times out west and down here...
****'s a pretty great guy, had a few good chats with him. He has been running a Top Fuel Harley for the last 4 or 5 years and is getting better each year. You know the look of a Top Fuel Harley rider on his licensing passes :yikes:

I like to go for lunch at the Harley Cafe when I can. Great down home food at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
newbie giving welcomes

Hi Wydeglyde..we've probably bumped into one another at the shop at one point in time or another. You're correct about Jeff being handy. he does a very good job on porting heads as well as assembling motors. Do you do some of the rider training through the dealership or another school. My Significant other just won a M/C course at the bike show last week so she's gonna give it a go in the spring. I've just gotten Harris's [from this BB] training motor lessons, printed them off and am reading about what I'm going to do in the spring..there's some good good stuff in there. I know where I'm weak and it's time I fixed that. hope to run into you..[not literally of course] sometime.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have been around Calgary Harley much, you have bumped into me. I teach at the school at the dealership and I am the Safety Officer for the HOG Chapter. Are you a member?

Brad Watson

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was a member back in 1988-90. but I've spent my time with the Calgary Motorcycle Club. I was talking with someone at the bike show about your club schedule..will probably check it out. I'll apologize for the confusion on the login ID. I started looking around this site a bit and started to recognize some names. I tried to log in as Sleepy but it was already in use so I assumed that it was someone else..[forgot the password you know]..then I remembered.so I'll drop one.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sleepy said:
I was a member back in 1988-90. but I've spent my time with the Calgary Motorcycle Club. I was talking with someone at the bike show about your club schedule..will probably check it out. I'll apologize for the confusion on the login ID. I started looking around this site a bit and started to recognize some names. I tried to log in as Sleepy but it was already in use so I assumed that it was someone else..[forgot the password you know]..then I remembered.so I'll drop one.

Next meeting is Feb 1st at Calgary Harley. Usually we start at 7pm, but the Service dept. is doing an Ask the Tech session at 6-7. We always have some sort of guest speaker or presentation at the meetings. There is another guest speaker next month from Harley or HOG (can't remember which right now). In the spring thru summer I do riding skills demo's before the meeting and then work with people after the meeting that want to give it a try.

Hope to see you there, let me know so I know who you are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Wydeglyde, Also from Calgary here, new to the Harley scene, have a deposit on a Street Glide at Calgary Harley. Maybe will see you at a HOG meeting sometime.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not come out on Feb 1st and introduce yourself. It would be a great way to while away your time until the bike arrives.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm working on Feb 1 but March looks good. My S.O is the treasurer of the Calgary Motorcycle Club but I should be able to sneak away for a meeting without getting into too much trouble..:) I was aware of the rider training put on by HDSA..oops! Calgary Harley. I had talked to Diane a little about it but my SO won a course .....interesting times. Do you guys have an ERC? and I'm interested in getting the slow skills down a little better than right now..not enough practice on the E-G...[have to get over the fear of dropping it.]

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sleepy, we don't have an ERC at this time. We have to submit our curiculum to Alberta Transport for approval. We have been too busy getting the regular classes completed to develop and submit an experienced class. Maybe for next year. In the meantime, come out to some meetings in the spring and summer, I will be covering the slowspeed skills in the parking lot and assisting folks that want to give it a try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts