V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been riding for about 20 years, and have owned everything from yamahas to guzzi's. My current mounts are an R1150GS and a Ducati St4, the later of which will be sacrificed in the spring for my first Harley Davidson. I am not taking this lightly, and over the next several months will need help with some decisions. I will be able to get pretty much any harley I want (within practical limits), but hope to get some guidance from the members of this forum to help me make the right choice (I'll save specific questions for the appropriate forums).

I look forward to posting here and appreciate the feedback in advance.

-Screwtop

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hello, and welcome aboard :)

My .02

As I've gotten older, ( I'll be 40, next spring ) I've come to enjoy the smoothness of the touring models. ( Electra Glide, Road King, Road Glide ). I have a 98 fatboy that has been dropped and customized, and makes for a nice compliment to my dresser, but given the choice, I prefer my 04 E-Glide, as I ride it 90% of the time.

The touring models have everything a greying beard would want. CD, fm/am/weather, cruise control, comfortable seating, highway pegs, fairing with multiple windshields, plenty of room for luggage..etc..etc.. You can definitely grow old with these bikes, as they make for nice long distance cruisers.

I've already taken my Glide on two, round trip rides this year...2,333 miles to Orlando FL, this spring, and 894 miles to Nashville Tenn, this fall.

Not one single problem.

Many dealers offer test rides. I would take advantage of this. In the end, my advice is to buy the Harley that you want. The rest is a matter of simple adjustments, and seat time bonding.

good luck, and congratulations on your future purchase

David

·
Registered
51 Posts
Screwtop said:
Hello everyone,

I've been riding for about 20 years, and have owned everything from yamahas to guzzi's. My current mounts are an R1150GS and a Ducati St4, the later of which will be sacrificed in the spring for my first Harley Davidson. I am not taking this lightly, and over the next several months will need help with some decisions. I will be able to get pretty much any harley I want (within practical limits), but hope to get some guidance from the members of this forum to help me make the right choice (I'll save specific questions for the appropriate forums).

I look forward to posting here and appreciate the feedback in advance.

-Screwtop
Welcome aboard. I am a noobie, too and have picked up a lot of good stuff from this forum.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Welcome to the board. You should find lots of opinions to consider as you make your decision. As well as several jealous bastiges (like me) who wish they could get multiple bikes!!:thumbsup:

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks everyone. At present I have my eye on a low rider because I like the mid-mount and cruising controls, the 6 speed, and the fact that it seems pretty nimble (I have ridden one). I was also thinking about a duece, but I'm afraid it will be too raked back, and might not be the best for longer distance rides. Then, my neighbor rides home on a new ultra classic and gets me all confused again. I seem to keep coming back to the dyna, though. Time and a few more test rides will tell.

Thanks again.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Hi Screwtop

Welcome to the motorcycle wonderland of chrome, pipes and leather.

Good luck choosing the right bike. The choice is yours. Try out some different ones to help you pick.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey Screwtop, welcome to the forum!

You'll find plenty of advice here. Personally, I really enjoy my 2005 FLSTSCi, but often wish I'd spent the extra bucks and got an Electra Guide.

Either way you go, you'll love the future Harley and the great things you can do to make your bike personal to your style.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome to the board. Read, post, and enjoy.

Dynas _are_ nimble and fun to ride. The Road Glide is Harley's "best kept secret."

Rent 'em and ride 'em first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't discount the "big" softails! I love my Heritage Classic, nible and all that and nice n smooth on the open road - even in a 25 mph headwind!

--------------
'97 Heritage Softail Classic

·
Bike Addict
84 Posts
Welcome. I like the old school look and that's why I picked the 2005 Softail Springer I'm riding today. There are a lot of choices, but it still comes down to what you like. Sounds like your going about it the right way. Let us know what you end up with. :cool:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to VTF Screwtop.:beer:
I"m so jealous of you right now:D ....I mean the feeling of choosing and then buying your new Harley-choices,choices.
Which colour?What Pipes?what other upgrades.......
The world is your oyster.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Good luck in the Spring. Pssst. Keep the ducati, they are too fun to let go of. Post up often and enjoy!

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the replys! Since I last checked in, I've been down to daytona, and checked out the new Rossmyer's place at 95 and route 1. HOLY S&*#! did they have some bikes there!

Happy Holidays!

Screwtop

1 - 16 of 16 Posts