V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a long time since posting, been busy riding. Anyway, What's a better non synthetic oil for my 05 FLH? I know Harley oil is lowest bidder oil so what do would you recommend?

Thanks for feedback and I hope everyone's been well.

· Registered
12,754 Posts
An oil thread. Oh well if there was a cliff around here I would jump off. Alas nothing but sand hills.

That said I have a 02 Heritage and have always run Valvoline 50wt racing oil. It is good for this hot azz weather over here. I don't ride much in the cold, but did do a toy run at 33° and sleet at the end. No problem on the cold starts.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry for the stupid question. I haven't sign on since 2011 and forgot to check for past threads. Now that I checked the past threads, I see nothing that answers my question.
I'm not interested in Car oil or synthetics, just a great or better than HD Oil and filter to boot. I use Harley but a buddy of mine asked the question and it got me thinking. I use Valvoline in my truck so why not use something better in my bike.

Thanks again for any helpful input.

· Make me use my bullet?
13,918 Posts
I always love the 1:1 ratio thing about riding/posting.

Well, if reading a bit doesn't cut too much into your riding time, here's a link to the actual oil forum with lots of threads you could browse.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/engine-oils-lubrication/

Otherwise, I'm certain that there is only one correct answer to your question and the person with that answer will be along shortly to give it to you.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
First, the Harley oil and filters are not junk, over priced maybe, but not junk. I use the OEM filters, they work and I know the bypass will be correct. Not going to get into an oil suggestion, just pick a top tier oil. Most of the cycle specific top tier oils will be around $10 a quart.

· Premium Member
7,144 Posts
I'm just about to the point of thinking you could dump Wesson in there and it would probably run ok. I've run so many different brands and types in my Dyna that I can't remember them all and never noticed a significant difference in any of them. I hear synthetics will lower the temps and probably do to some degree (no pun intended), but I'll call bullshit on anyone telling me they can feel the difference.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
Hey guys, been a long time since posting, been busy riding. Anyway, What's a better non synthetic oil for my 05 FLH? I know Harley oil is lowest bidder oil so what do would you recommend?

How do you know this? I can show you people with over 100,000 miles on their bikes no major issue that run nothing but HD oils and lube.
Don't put so much faith in what you read on the net. A lot of it is BS fuel by marketing people.

· Registered
173 Posts
There is no such thing as stupid questions only stupid answers.

That’s so NOT true. But this wasn’t a stupid question, just a lazy one. Does no one use Google any more? Sure, the search function on here stinks. But Google “best oil for Harley” and you get tons of articles - in this group and other Harley groups. Tons to read!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· The Best Me I Can Be
23,031 Posts
That’s so NOT true. But this wasn’t a stupid question, just a lazy one. Does no one use Google any more? Sure, the search function on here stinks. But Google “best oil for Harley” and you get tons of articles - in this group and other Harley groups. Tons to read!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some folks prefer conversation- kinda like calling a company and being answered by a person instead of a call-tree.

joe

· The Best Me I Can Be
23,031 Posts

I have 3 questions for you...

1-- What do you think Moco oil is gona do to your bike?

2-- What oil do you think IS NOT manufactured as cheaply as possible?

3-- If you like Valvoline, why is that not your preference?

joe

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.