V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my first Harley next week. Want to find non-dot helment. Looking black. please leave web sites or phone #'s. thanks in advance.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Do a search on the net for "novelty helmet". You'll find all you need.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
And many of those laws are flawed mr lawman. The state is supposed to publish a list of aproved helmets and they do not. And the Mass state police are wearing NON DOT aproved helmets (check the mass abate or MMA site for info). Maany helmet tickets are being thrown out here in Mass.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I was at a motorcycle thingy on Saturday. ABATE of VA was passing out DOT stickers. Go figure.

wyo

·
Registered
351 Posts
Non-DOT helmets usually cost a little less... I bought one on ebay and I'll be darned if I can tell any difference in the quality or comfort!.... I would guess that all helmet makers would have to provide the DOT with a sample and manufacturing process to get their helmet "approved" as DOT... That I'm sure cost the manufacture some money for each style of helmet they produce throughout the years..... ALSO the DOT is probably pretty buisy with testing.... In my opnion, there are many helmets being sold that are just as quality made if not better then the ones saying DOT approved.... I would agree that because of the state laws and insurance company claims that DOT approved helmets are the only way to go... Otherwise some people in states with helmet laws would be wearing homemade skid-lids etc. If a person "chooses to wear a helmet", any helmet is better then no helmet" If a person living in a state that requires a helmet..... better it be a DOT approved one........... or play dumb when an accident happens and your egg gets scrambled...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Hey Doug,

The non-DOT helmets I've seen (usually called novelty helmets) are simply light weight shells. The only thing these novelty helmets have in common with DOT helmets is shape.

It is entirely possible that there are indeed substantive helmets that are not DOT approved, as you have found.

regards,

wyp

·
Registered
351 Posts
The non-DOT helmet I have (half helmet) actually does have the 1/2" foam liner inside and has the same weight and feel as the new Harley Helmet?!.... The quality of the helmet really looks good but as you have said.... at bike shows etc. there are many lightwight shells for sale... Mine even has a zip-out neck and ear pad "thingie" with a removal bill... Guess you got to watch-out for what you are getting... on the same token, I purchased a DOT approved half helmet on ebay at the same time (different seller), besides the fact that it came without a visor as advertised and the chin strap was cheese............. It was larger then a med... Could have put J. Leno's head in it... Seller was willing to take back however...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts