V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 CVO roadking with 18,000 miles on it. It has had the recall work done,base gaskets,ect. When it gets hot it sounds like rocks rattling in a tin can ! Can't tell exactly where it's coming from but I think it's the lifters. I'm gonna try a set of S&S high performance premium lifters and adjustable pushrods and see if that quiets it down any. Anybody else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,957 Posts
I have a 08 CVO roadking with 18,000 miles on it. It has had the recall work done,base gaskets,ect. When it gets hot it sounds like rocks rattling in a tin can ! Can't tell exactly where it's coming from but I think it's the lifters. I'm gonna try a set of S&S high performance premium lifters and adjustable pushrods and see if that quiets it down any. Anybody else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.
Are you sure it's not pinging?

Is the noise constant once it gets hot or seem to be around a particular RPM range?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only hear it when it's idling, I've got loud pipes on it so don't hear it riding or under load or acceleration.. The motor I'd pretty quiet when it's cold just starts when it gets hot. Not really a pinging sound more like lifters tapping.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy I bought it from had the lifters changed out at around 8000 miles because it was noisey. They put the harley B lifters in it I think.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
If the inner cam bearings haven't been changed I would replace those also with full compliment bearings.Either Screamin Eagle bearings or B-168's.The stock inner bearings are prone to failure and if they do it can be catastrophic.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The lifters in the 110 have been prone to failure. I have a 08 SE3 Ultra with the 110. Currently have a set of S & S premium lifters and quickee adjustable pushrods that are going in just as a precautionary measure. The recall in the 07, 08 years could have been the 0905 campaign, (new heads) or the 0906 campaign (gaskets). Many 110 owners, regardless of the bike year, swap out the lifters for more robust after market ones due to failure. And as above, cam bearings too.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
While it is apart and the bearings are right there i would change them to torringtons. Also S&S lifters aren't quiet they have the convert to solid feature, if you want quiet you are going the wrong direction. If you want performance and reliabity you just made a very wise choice. Anyway god luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Terry, what is your opinion of the Johnson Hylift lifters sold by AMS? Would you take a new ( less than 10000 miles) motor apart to install them? From reading your posts it seems that you have an extensive background with HD motorcycles and I value your opinion on these matters.
Thanks in advance,
lowdown
P.S. this is a new 2015 flhtkl and I have the tools to do the cam bearings also. I am a retired auto mechanic and have done cams in a 2007 flhtc previously.
Tia, lowdown aka Larry.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Larry why do you want to change the lifters? The johnsons are an OEM quality product with no distinct advantages over stock, from the info on their website, i have never used that brand.
I would take it apart to change the inner cam bearings. At that time i would upgrade everything in the cam chest. Gear drive cams, quick install chromemoly pushrods and better lifters, with a billet cam plate and better oil pump. I only use gear drives. I prefer to only do a repair or upgrade once. It costs more initially, but much less in the end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Terry. I kinda thought that would be your recommendation. Reason for replacing lifters- preventative maintenence, catastrophic failure abatement.
I know the inner bearings need to be replaced but I'm good with the cams and chain drive thats in there now. I just figured i'd replace the Delphi lifters with the Johnson's while in there. That way failure couldn't be blamed on the Johnson rod in the future :D. ( old hot rodders joke );)
How many miles are these INA bearings gonna run before they give it up to the Johnson rod? Any estimate on what you're seeing out in the real world would be appreciated. Am I riding a ticking time bomb?
TIA, lowdown

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
There is no pattern as far as I've seen on the ina bearings. My advice is get them out asap before the johnson rod strikes again. I used to be an old hot rodder, but i was younger then. I don't see alot of lifter roller failures on stock motors that aren't ridden hard and neglected (oil changes) some of the other wrenches on here who's opinions i respect say 40k on the lifters. Lifters are a relatively easy change and require no disassembly of the cam chest.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,957 Posts
Thanks Terry. I kinda thought that would be your recommendation. Reason for replacing lifters- preventative maintenence, catastrophic failure abatement.
I know the inner bearings need to be replaced but I'm good with the cams and chain drive thats in there now. I just figured i'd replace the Delphi lifters with the Johnson's while in there. That way failure couldn't be blamed on the Johnson rod in the future :D. ( old hot rodders joke );)
How many miles are these INA bearings gonna run before they give it up to the Johnson rod? Any estimate on what you're seeing out in the real world would be appreciated. Am I riding a ticking time bomb?
TIA, lowdown
Hell, just spring $30 for a new rod and be done with it. :redrolf::redrolf:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
As far as i know there is only 1 sure way, pull the cams and have a look. It will only cost the gaskets and the time its cheap peace of mind. Or you can compare the part numbers between your bike and the other harley bikes with the known ina bearings. This method is not 100% accurate as harley changes things in production and it is not notated in the parts catalogs.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
How can I conform this? For what this bike cost I would like to think the moco would have put the good bearings in it.
lowdown
P.S. I want to say thanks to all who replied. Great info, guys.
Have the dealer look up the part number and see what bearing comes up and also compare the 2015 part number to say a original 2009 CVO inner bearing number (the 09's didn't use the full compliment bearing).

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Autoworker, The only way to know which bearing is installed is a visual. After comparing all the part numbers irregardless of the outcome, you still don't know what is in there. Many of you guys are relatively new to harley wrenching, in theory, and in a perfect world, you are absolutely correct in your logic that you should be able to do a search and find the answer. Sad, but not so in the harley world.at best you will find conflicting info and still be guessing.
Pop the rocker boxes off, take the cam cover off, pull the cams and there you are, about the same amount of time expended and you are certain. I used to think i could track specific parts through the catalogs, conjecture is the word that comes to mind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts