V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my first harley went with a road king classic. am i going to have to deal with all this valve noise forever??? is there any mods. i can do to quiet it up???? sometimes when i'm ridin i want to shoot myself!!!!!!:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Valve noise

People have beat this horse to death. When I first got my Heritage the noise bothered me. I have talked to a lot of people and they say that is the nature of the beast. I have 10,000 plus on mine now with no problems. I just had it in for its 10k checkup. Ride it and enjoy it. Mine has the same noise, just got some straight pipes and the noise is not noticable now!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
I put about 35,000 miles on mine with the noise. Sometimes it would bug the sh!t out of me but most times I didn't let it bother me. I now have about 800 miles with the "Baisley" spring and there is NO ticking at all, just quiet valve train sounds. It's quite nice.
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
As mentioned above, it appears that some of the TC's have naturally low oil pressure. This can lead to an annoying ticking, especially at high speed. I had that problem with my 2004 Ultra-Classic. I installed the Latus-Baisley LMR-002 spring and it got rid of the noise. Approximately 10-15% more oil pressure.

Can't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
Helmets can make a difference. I hear more engine and exhaust noise with my full face Shoei than my 1/2 helmet. You can also try earplugs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
How difficult is it to place Baisley spring? Is it something that an average guy could do and does it require any other modifications with it or can you just do it yourself?
Thanks
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
jawrider said:
How difficult is it to place Baisley spring? Is it something that an average guy could do and does it require any other modifications with it or can you just do it yourself?
Thanks
I would do a search in this site for Baisley Spring. There are literally dozens of posts describing it. Due to the location in the cam plate, I would probably wait until you have some other reason to go in there like cam tensioners or inner bearings or a cam swap since you have generally got to remove the exhausts to get at it.

The spring is in the cam plate behind a roll pin and it's much easier to do with the cam plate on the workbench.


.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
Must admit. Even over the pipes I can still hear the sewing machine between my legs. I'll check out this baisley spring. I wonder if others can hear my pipes or the valves when I ride by. :unsure:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
The spring is not that hard to do even on the bike, you have to drop the pipes and take off the cam cover, just be sure you do not put the drift pin through the middle of the spring. I have heard of some folks doing that.
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
ShakyJake said:
The spring is not that hard to do even on the bike, you have to drop the pipes and take off the cam cover, just be sure you do not put the drift pin through the middle of the spring. I have heard of some folks doing that.

Right. And if you should be so unfortunate as to drive the roll pin through the spring into the rear of the relief hole, you will be needing a new cam plate. Thus, my suggestion that it be done on the bench.


.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
heritage43 said:
People have beat this horse to death. When I first got my Heritage the noise bothered me. I have talked to a lot of people and they say that is the nature of the beast. I have 10,000 plus on mine now with no problems. I just had it in for its 10k checkup. Ride it and enjoy it. Mine has the same noise, just got some straight pipes and the noise is not noticable now!
Why straight pipes? It has been documented that straight pipes hurt performance. I am not second-guessing your modification. :hmmm: I am only curious why straight pipes - not just you but in general? :thumbsup:

:corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
NodakGus said:
:hmmm: I am only curious why straight pipes - not just you but in general?
...because the pipes are now so loud you couldn't hear a 747 landing much less a ticking lifter...:265:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Straight pipes

I know, the performance suffers some in the mid, but it all started with SE'II slips ons and I was always dogging the engine to get more sound out. Now I can acclerate normally and it sounds the way I want along with a great sound at idle. My straight pipes are very long though and it moderates the sound some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
35,000 on my tc88.....I find that earplugs or a loud stereo cures the problem. You can also ask your old lady to nag you whilst riding...that helps too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Mine makes all kinds of noise too...but we're sittin on top of a 95" aircooled OHV Twin. And us VTF riders hear everything! My buddy rode my RKC (gear drive and all) the other day and I asked him what he thought about all the valvetrain noise---He says "What noise -- the bikes sounds killer" We're listening for the noise--- so we hear it. He wasn't-- so he didn't. Its all good. -2$en#e-
 

·
Average Dude
Joined
·
6,263 Posts
Bluescb said:
Mine makes all kinds of noise too...but we're sittin on top of a 95" aircooled OHV Twin. And us VTF riders hear everything! My buddy rode my RKC (gear drive and all) the other day and I asked him what he thought about all the valvetrain noise---He says "What noise -- the bikes sounds killer" We're listening for the noise--- so we hear it. He wasn't-- so he didn't. Its all good. -2$en#e-
I ride an FLHRCI, what is a RKC? :265:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Valvoline Four Stroke Oil

I Have Heard, From Friends With The Same Problem, That They Started Using Valvoline Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil And After The Next Oil Change The Noise Was Greatly Reduced Or Absent.
Another Guy, Using The Same Oil ,has Tried To Literally Beat The Tar Out Of His Engine With Burnouts And Hard Riding And His Roadking Engine Has Held Up Perfectly.
I Have Not Used It Myself Yet, So I Do Not Know From First Hand
Experience. The Windshield Trick Works Great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Ya know I see this question posted on alot of other HD forums. Mostly it's the persons first Harley and they sometimes owned metrics before buying it. OK, it's a Harley Davidson, let me repeat that...it's a Harley Davidson. Engine noise goes with the territory and I have never heard or ridden a "quite" Harley. There are some minor things you can do to slightly lessen the noise but it will never totally be "quiet". If engine noise bothers a person, they bought the wrong brand of bike.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top