V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
IronButt
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SE HTCC Heads

I have the HTCC heads and pistons, woods TW6HG cams and Zippers 50mm TB on an 03 RKClassic. After the build I had a slight rocker box tick after a couple thousand miles that got progressively worse as time went on until it was tapping all the time except that if you put it on the stand before you shut it off the noise would go away. I assumed maybe poor oiling in the upper end and installed Baisley spring and oil pressure guage. Noise seemed better but now is back all the time. Will sound better at certain speeds and loads but is still there. Disassembled and checked wrist pins, clearance issues etc and found nothing. I Installed Jims Rollers and reassembled....Noise still there. With stethescope sounds like front exhaust valve. I am going to tear it down and solve this issue one way or another and head work seems to be the first and most logical choice. If you have heard of this before or have any suggestions I am open to suggestions. Whille its apart I am thinking about a Fueling oil pump and lifters also. If you think head work will help let me know and we'll go from there. Thanks

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
RamDude said:
I have the HTCC heads and pistons, woods TW6HG cams and Zippers 50mm TB on an 03 RKClassic.
I wonder how much of the noise is inherent to the fast ramps on your TW6HG cams?

wyo

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I split this off because it isn't really relevant the the thread it was posted in and you should get a better response here.

If the noise sounds like it is coming from the front exhaust, the first thing I would do is check for an exhaust leak and or loose exhaust. You would be surprised how much this can sound like a mechanical problem. Now thats not to say it is that ... but always start with the simple stuff first. You might even try stock exhaust gaskets for troubleshooting if you are running the thin SE ones.

As for the ported head question, it says in your build specs that you have the HTCC ported heads already.

It is also possible the umbrella valves are chirping ... seems to be a common problem reported here.

Good luck and I am sure more people will chime in too.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well I think you are hearing the sweet sound of the "torque monster" cams you are running. They are just noisy period. I have tried most everything and now I am going with feuling pump, feuling lifters, and feuling cam support plate, whatever it sounds like from there will be what I live with. I have had 2 sets of lifters in Jims Power and now the all but new Cranes. I have played with push rod adjustment to no avail.

I will see if this helps in any way, but I kind of doubt it.

I can take the 6's until I get tired of going really fast, really quick.

Just the nature of the cam and supporting valve train components from my experience with the cams, many cant take the noise, me it is not too bad, but into my "golden years" I will go a plain Jane 98" with 37G's and flat top's in a 9.8 compression or so, and call it a day.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Start with the cam plate and lifters.

A friend had a Screamin' Eagle lifter go south on him. Turns out his oil flow was messed up because he pinched and cut one of the o-rings between the cam plate and case. Fixed the o-ring and shortly thereafter, the front exhaust lifter took a dump.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The aggressive ramps of his TW6HG cam are not getting anymore aggressive, so why then would the noise be getting progressively louder? Are your heads the SE HTCC Ported or did you have the Std. HTCC heads ported?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
SFTL-1 said:
The aggressive ramps of his TW6HG cam are not getting anymore aggressive, so why then would the noise be getting progressively louder? Are your heads the SE HTCC Ported or did you have the Std. HTCC heads ported?
Good point. But his riding style may be more aggressive, and for sure his motor is breaking in.

But he did say he pinpointed it with a stethoscope to the front exhaust valve.

That would lead me to a lifter, push rod locking nut came loose, could be the exhaust Springer mentioned, could be the pinched o-ring, oiling issues also.

All in all, my point is, it is just a noisy cam, period!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Try changing to dino oil, and see if the noise is quieter. I have heard of this before, and it actually worked. If you are using Syn3, seems you hear more noise in the top end.

Thorns

·
Registered
16 Posts
:unsure: Just got my bike back from the dealer, had some work done to the engine, HTCC CNC Ported Sreamin Eagle heads, 257 cams, Sreamin Eagle lifters, Quick Install adustable push rods, Sreamin Eagle forged rocker arm supports, Screamin Eagle roller rockers, HTCC high compression pistons and a 44mm Screamin Eagle carb. WOW what a difference but the engine sounds like an old small block Chevy Cilcking and Clacking away, the bike runs great but I can't deal with the valve train noise, called the dealer back and the gave me a story "Those heads have big valves and springs with a high lift cam your valves will be noisy" so don't feel bad, Im going to try a Baisley oil spring and hopfully that will quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
The heads have very agressive springs that accentuate any fast ramp cam noise. They are stiffer than the Woods 160 that are designed for the cams.
Downgrade them and look for the cause in the front. Put it on TDC compression and pull the clips on the tubes and wiggle the pushrods for a check to see if one came loose.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Make sure the rocker arms aren't hitting the rocker covers. They may not have removed enough material from them.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
wyodude said:
I wonder how much of the noise is inherent to the fast ramps on your TW6HG cams?

wyo

BINGO. I had those cams and had to ditch them for that very reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Valve noise

I have the HTCC Ported heads and 257 SE cams. No noise at all except for the regular valve noise. I also run SYN 3 oil. With these cams you must grind the rocker box covers to make room for the higher lift or the rockers will contact the covers and make a tapping sound. Take your rocker box covers off and see if there are any marks on them from contact with the valve train and check to see if the rockers have enough room to travel in the support plate you might have to grind a little so the rocker dosent hit the support plate.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
nw guy 4fun is correct. I run the HTCC CNC heads and the 195# springs are overkill. Mine was noisey until I installed S&S 170# springs. Checking the rocker box's for contact is also very good advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts